Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HD SESPT (Street Performance Tuner) Only

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Well I finally got time to hook up my Laptop to the SE Street Performance Tuner & to my bike & flashed the Stage 1 Map to it...

The VCI had an update that needed to be performed as soon as I fired it up... so my home Wi-Fi came in handy...

Pretty easy and straight forward, but did not take time to explore the whole system... I will follow up with some more info when I can...

No test rides yet either, salt on the roads around here right now...

Last edited by Sam D.; 12-28-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Sam D.
Road Master

Today I did a Smart Tune recording of about 45 to 55 minutes of ride time... downloaded the data and added the Front & Rear cylinder VE values to my working MAP and re-flashed the ECM... set up and did another Smart Tune ride... and repeated the process... bike seems to run a little better with each re-flash with the new data.

Last edited by Sam D.; 12-28-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:14 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

and it will continue to improve with the more runs and records you do. Getting the VEs dialed in is the hard part and you're on your way to knocking that out.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Sam D.
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
and it will continue to improve with the more runs and records you do. Getting the VEs dialed in is the hard part and you're on your way to knocking that out.
The instructions in the Help file really leave a lot to be desired,,, they just give you enough info, no real ins & outs...

So far the only thing I found that can be manually adjusted and saved is the VE tables for the front & rear cylinders,,,
I discovered that when I doubled clicked on the "Working" line and then clicked on "RPM" and that highlighted the table & toggles above for COPY, PASTE, DECREASE, INCREASE & % Value... other than that there's nothing else I've stumbled onto that can be manually adjusted...

Anyone know something I missed?

Last edited by Sam D.; 12-28-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

The street tuner is made to put an EPA compliant tune on the bike...that is why you can't adjust the A/F ration or the other items available under the pro. You can use the smart tune system to dial in your VE tables to get an accurate A/F ration w/o the ECM having to make any major adjustments. The bike will run better....not cooler and the tune is not meant to max out the hp or tq for your particular set up.

For what most people do to their bikes, this tuner works well (a/c and pipes), but, it will not solve heat issues (by running a slightly richer mixture - more on this in a minute) or allow tuning with major upgrades - cam/heads, etc.

You might be able to make it run a little richer by increasing the VE value slightly. However, the ECM will eventually tune it out because of the O2 sensor feedback. Folks have tried this before with other tuners and ultimately they ended up with a PITA and gave up.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Sam D.
Road Master

Ok so my 2013 Touring Stage 1 MAP that I uploaded has the best AFR out of any of the canned Maps at 14.3,,, all the others are at 14.6 and 14.5.. so if I just up the front VE .5% and the rear VE 1%... that keeps the VE tables within the tolerances, why would the ECM change them back?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:56 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Why do you feel this map has the best AFR values?

What exactly is your build and model bike?
pipes, a/c, header pipe, any motor mods, cams, etc.

Sam D. you don't adjust your VEs manually, you let the tuning process do that. Then when you're done tuning, the VEs will be where the ECM and the tuning software determines it needs to be.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Sam D.
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Why do you feel this map has the best AFR values?

What exactly is your build and model bike?
pipes, a/c, header pipe, any motor mods, cams, etc.

Sam D. you don't adjust your VEs manually, you let the tuning process do that. Then when you're done tuning, the VEs will be where the ECM and the tuning software determines it needs to be.
Under my Signature has all my bike mods, w/stock Cams & Heads...

This map has the best advertised AFR of any of the available maps for a 2013 Touring in the Street Performance Tuner program...

In the only 2 Smart Tune runs I've made, the Cells that got readings showed lower values than what those cells had originally in the Virgin Canned Map, say if the Cell originally had a value of 77.5, the smart tune was now showing a value in that particular cell as 71.0

In looking at some of the other Canned HD Maps(2013 110 Stage 1), their AFR values in closed loop are 14.6-14.3 and in looking at their VE values also have lower VE values....

You say you don't manually change VE values,,, then why is it that is the only thing in the Street Performance Tuner that can be manually adjusted?

Last edited by Sam D.; 12-30-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:57 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I guess this is where my lack of knowledge of the street tuner shows it's ugly head. I'll have to leave this for one of the more experience SE tuner guys..

VEs aren't usually adjusted manually but instead during the tuning process and then in the end if the person tuning wants to adjust VEs, it's usually done by either finessing the VE tables or adjusted utilizing the EGR tables.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Sam D.
Road Master

I appreciate your input and help...

I've found two areas that the MoCo wasn't quite telling the truth about their new improved Tuner, and those are the positive things I pointed out
in my first post,,,lol

Quick Reply: HD SESPT (Street Performance Tuner) Only