Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HD SESPT (Street Performance Tuner) Only

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

You know things are bad when the program won't even let you Lower the RPM limit... unless everything has to be connected to the bike & the laptop?

Nope, just hooked everything up to the bike,,,turned on the ignition & fired up the program,,,
same ole crap...

Last edited by Sam D.; 12-30-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:48 PM
richie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Sam D.
Under my Signature has all my bike mods, w/stock Cams & Heads...

This map has the best advertised AFR of any of the available maps for a 2013 Touring in the Street Performance Tuner program...

In the only 2 Smart Tune runs I've made, the Cells that got readings showed lower values than what those cells had originally in the Virgin Canned Map, say if the Cell originally had a value of 77.5, the smart tune was now showing a value in that particular cell as 71.0

In looking at some of the other Canned HD Maps(2013 110 Stage 1), their AFR values in closed loop are 14.6-14.3 and in looking at their VE values also have lower VE values....

You say you don't manually change VE values,,, then why is it that is the only thing in the Street Performance Tuner that can be manually adjusted?
I thought you could adjust the VE tables by a half point, seem to remember reading that somewhere. Also have you tried to load a map from another yr like an 09 or 10. I don;t recall what those look like but maybe the tables could be richer in areas of less throttle percentage.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:56 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

well in reality you can adjust til you're blue in the face but really defeats the whole purpose of smart tuning. Let the bike and software do what it needs to do over a period of at least 4 or 5 smart tune sessions. Then when you're ready, adjusting EGR tables to help smooth out the VEs is the proper way to do it.

Bottom line is your objective is to get the peaks and valleys out of the VEs by the process of automatic smoothing/smart tuning but in the end I have never seen a perfectly smooth VE table for front or rear cylinders unless it was "finessed" by hand. If you're all about pretty graphs, knock yourself out but it's not necessary IMO. Just smart tune, and when your VEs start changing by 5% or less, then use EGR tables to help smooth out the graph.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Sam D.
Road Master

Originally Posted by richie
I thought you could adjust the VE tables by a half point, seem to remember reading that somewhere. Also have you tried to load a map from another yr like an 09 or 10. I don;t recall what those look like but maybe the tables could be richer in areas of less throttle percentage.
Yes I could load other year maps, as long as the ECM# is allowed...
The software keeps a handle on that... and I have been studying the other maps just for reference.

I did a Smart Tune live,,, and was able to watch the Cells fill in at realtime, got as many as possible with moving to different RPM's and loading the bike with the clutch & brake...(and again, the smart tune generated VE cell numbers that were considerable lower then the original cell #'s,,, and surrounding cells) saved that info and added that info to Generate another VE smart tune adjustment,,, loaded the revised map back into the ECM and the bike acted like it was lean as hell, popping & pissing when cracking the throttle...

I just put back a untouched Stage 1 Map into the ECM and I'm calling it quits until Spring,,, when it's not so damn cold out... I don't know of any Dyno shops that do tuning in 30* weather...lol

Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

the thing to keep in mind here is that the ECM does some of it's own adjusting real time so if the VEs are a little low when you're done, then no biggie. the ECM can compensate. But the key to this is "done". I can assure you that you're not going to get an even halfway decent tune with 2 or 3 smart tune runs but more along the lines of 7 or more IME.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:17 PM
Sam D.
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
well in reality you can adjust til you're blue in the face but really defeats the whole purpose of smart tuning. Let the bike and software do what it needs to do over a period of at least 4 or 5 smart tune sessions. Then when you're ready, adjusting EGR tables to help smooth out the VEs is the proper way to do it.

Bottom line is your objective is to get the peaks and valleys out of the VEs by the process of automatic smoothing/smart tuning but in the end I have never seen a perfectly smooth VE table for front or rear cylinders unless it was "finessed" by hand. If you're all about pretty graphs, knock yourself out but it's not necessary IMO. Just smart tune, and when your VEs start changing by 5% or less, then use EGR tables to help smooth out the graph.
Thanks Ultranutz,,,, Ain't this fun,,,lol
EGR??? the Street Performance Tuner does not have or show EGR tables.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:25 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

ah... yeah I keep forgetting about that.. :-)

Old 12-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Sam D.
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
the thing to keep in mind here is that the ECM does some of it's own adjusting real time so if the VEs are a little low when you're done, then no biggie. the ECM can compensate. But the key to this is "done". I can assure you that you're not going to get an even halfway decent tune with 2 or 3 smart tune runs but more along the lines of 7 or more IME.
So say if I have 7 runs recorded, should I add/generate the info one at a time, save the Map, then add the next run?

Old 12-31-2013, 03:45 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

it should work the same whether you do it one at a time or multiples at a time.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:17 AM
Sam D.
Road Master

Well if Spring would ever get here I can start doing some Smart Tuning runs... In April I'm hoping to ride up to Milwaukee for my HOG Officers Training...

Quick Reply: HD SESPT (Street Performance Tuner) Only