Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HD SESPT (Street Performance Tuner) Only

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 AM
martin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I found this thread and will keep up with your progress. This tuner sounds like the ideal solution for the average rider doing a stage one upgrade. In the past I have bought more expensive and complex tuners and had bikes dyno tuned. The biggest difference I could tell afterwards was that I was out a lot of money. So this sounds promising.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:28 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by martin1
Glad I found this thread and will keep up with your progress. This tuner sounds like the ideal solution for the average rider doing a stage one upgrade. In the past I have bought more expensive and complex tuners and had bikes dyno tuned. The biggest difference I could tell afterwards was that I was out a lot of money. So this sounds promising.
Read the post by Yardstick. IMHO, this device is NOT promising at all. One simply can NOT change timing, nor fuel to the bike... all this does is dial VEs better to a 100% stock bike. Nothing more and nothing less.

A TRUE Stage 1 changes both timing and fuel. This device will do nothing of the sort. Harley is using past verbage in todays market place and depends upon Newbs to not realize the difference.

In days long past, a Stage 1 or 2 download had crossed flags in the catalog, and parts books. That crossed flags meant it would be changing things to add fuel, etc and it would no longer be EPA compliant. MOCO cannot do this and got caught. In todays world? From MOCO, the terms' Stage 1 and 2 are meaningless when it comes to this particular device. It simply cannot. nor will not add fuel, and one cannot alter timing.

Timing is THE key to a better running, cooler running bike.

Just because this one member bought one, does NOT make it a tool worth owning.

If you had went to a specialty tuning shop... your impressions would have been way *** different. Dealers can NOT dyno tune (except for Gails HD) PERIOD. They can't tune and rip off thousands of folks. Me? My tuning? You surely WOULD notice a difference. Some take an hour some take 8 hrs... which tune (if all things are equal) will be the better tune?

Power Commanders are dead, long live Power Commanders... with a flash based tuning product like TTS, I can make a bike run VERY well, thank you.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-08-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 AM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Read the post by Yardstick. IMHO, this device is NOT promising at all. One simply can NOT change timing, nor fuel to the bike... all this does is dial VEs better to a 100% stock bike. Nothing more and nothing less.

A TRUE Stage 1 changes both timing and fuel. This device will do nothing of the sort. Harley is using past verbage in todays market place and depends upon Newbs to not realize the difference.

In days long past, a Stage 1 or 2 download had crossed flags in the catalog, and parts books. That crossed flags meant it would be changing things to add fuel, etc and it would no longer be EPA compliant. MOCO cannot do this and got caught. In todays world? From MOCO, the terms' Stage 1 and 2 are meaningless when it comes to this particular device. It simply cannot. nor will not add fuel, and one cannot alter timing.

Timing is THE key to a better running, cooler running bike.

Just because this one member bought one, does NOT make it a tool worth owning.

If you had went to a specialty tuning shop... your impressions would have been way *** different. Dealers can NOT dyno tune (except for Gails HD) PERIOD. They can't tune and rip off thousands of folks. Me? My tuning? You surely WOULD notice a difference. Some take an hour some take 8 hrs... which tune (if all things are equal) will be the better tune?

Power Commanders are dead, long live Power Commanders... with a flash based tuning product like TTS, I can make a bike run VERY well, thank you.
When I started this thread,,, It was entirely for discussing useful information about the Street Performance Tuner from People who have purchased and used the device... And several of US have done just that...
Yes the first Street Performance Tuners Pre-2011 were not that good,,, but the newer version with the addition of the Smart Tuning Feature is perfect for the DIY bike owner... So unless you've purchased and used one, the above Quote is an uninformed one.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam D.
When I started this thread,,, It was entirely for discussing useful information about the Street Performance Tuner from People who have purchased and used the device... And several of US have done just that...
Yes the first Street Performance Tuners Pre-2011 were not that good,,, but the newer version with the addition of the Smart Tuning Feature is perfect for the DIY bike owner... So unless you've purchased and used one, the above Quote is an uninformed one.
Sam.. WT gets a little long winded sometimes but what's he's saying and it's also from experience is; The SEST will not and is not capable of doing what the SEPST, TTS, PV, etc. devices do. It's very limited in it's capabilities although it, as you stated is perfect for DIY bike owners and moreso perfect for those that don't want to fool with the tuning aspect.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 PM
richie
Cruiser

I have one of the newer Street Tuners on my 2010 FLHTK , with SE air cleaner, SE slip ons and Fuel Moto ceramic coated header pipes. Bike runs great . Never an issue with the tuner, plenty of pep , good mileage. It was all I needed . Think this tuner is very underrated, and it only seems to be "deficient" to those who do not have one or those who have the more expensive tuners that need a 'DYNO" (more money) to get that extra little bit out of their bike. I spent that extra money on a set of Fuel Moto pipes to keep the bike cool . Was more than worth it , to me.

Each his own , live and let live.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Sam D.
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Sam.. WT gets a little long winded sometimes but what's he's saying and it's also from experience is; The SEST will not and is not capable of doing what the SEPST, TTS, PV, etc. devices do. It's very limited in it's capabilities although it, as you stated is perfect for DIY bike owners and moreso perfect for those that don't want to fool with the tuning aspect.
I agree with you 100% UltraNutz... and that is what I've said since the beginning... if you're not going to ever go beyond a Stage 1 set up,,, these work fine... if you are, you'll need a more versatile tuner...

Old 04-10-2014, 05:43 AM
Sam D.
Road Master

Well I've got just at 3k on my '13 Ultra and only 600 in town miles since installing the SEStreet Performance Tuner... I'm leaving today to ride from Dayton to Milwaukee for the weekend... We'll see how it does on fuel mileage & general performance 2 up & loaded for just a modified Stage 1 map.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:56 AM
martin1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sam D.
Honestly I am surprised it took this long before someone chimed in with other suggestions. And you could not have made it more clear to not do that. I have been down the highly complex tuner, hours of dyno tuning and spending thousands of dollars route. And it is NOT worth it to me. This device gives the average owner what they need to correct for Stage 1 mods and have their bike run just fine. No need to spend several hundred more dollars on tuners and dyno time unless that is just your thing. The older I get the more I love simple.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Sam D.
Road Master

My mileage report isn't that great due to the amount of wind we had to contend with going up to & back from Milwaukee... 25 - 35 mph winds from Lafayette Indiana on I-65 all the way up to I-94... Coming back the winds were that way from Milwaukee all the way home... Best MPG I got was on one tank 209.6 miles @ 43.9 MPG...I'm sure it would've been better without all the wind to fight against...
Power & heat where not an issue,,, after getting off the highway for gas/food, I immediately checked my HD LCD Oil Dipstick/Temp Gauge and the highest it got was 234*,,, Vented Lowers open all the way, but I was running an Air Foil under the triple tree.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Sam D.
Road Master

I saw on another Thread that both the Super Pro Tuner & the Street Performance Tuner had Updates available, mine would not update on it's own,,, kept saying to check my internet connection... So if you're in the same boat here is the link... basically added the 2014 models...

http://streetperformancetuner.harley...reetTuner.aspx

Quick Reply: HD SESPT (Street Performance Tuner) Only