Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2014 Ultra battery start problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 AM
zgodwin
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Ultra battery start problems

My new 2014 Ultra has gotten off to a rough start. First one of the front speakers was blown right out of the dealership. The headlights were adjusted so bad that I was afraid to ride after dark. Then they had the clutch recall issue.

A trip the dealer fixed the above problems and all seemed back to normal. I just took the bike in for it's 1000mi service. I brought it back on the trailer (it was 30 degrees outside) and prepared to ride in my favorite toy run. When I got on the bike and attempted to start all I got was a click. My first thought was the battery on this NEW bike had gone dead, even though I keep it on the tender. But the lights never dim and the volt meter shows 11 volts and never drops. I pulled the seat and found that the battery terminals were hidden behind the ecm module and other assorted parts with no apparent way to access with jumper/charger cables.

I know another trip to the dealer is probably in order but does anyone have any idea how to access the battery terminals to jump or charge the battery without removing the ECM? Any ideas on what might be wrong with the bike and is there anything I can do prior to loading it up on the trailer and hauling it to the dealer (closest one is over an hour away)?

Thanks in advance,
Zack

Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by zgodwin
My new 2014 Ultra has gotten off to a rough start. First one of the front speakers was blown right out of the dealership. The headlights were adjusted so bad that I was afraid to ride after dark. Then they had the clutch recall issue.

A trip the dealer fixed the above problems and all seemed back to normal. I just took the bike in for it's 1000mi service. I brought it back on the trailer (it was 30 degrees outside) and prepared to ride in my favorite toy run. When I got on the bike and attempted to start all I got was a click. My first thought was the battery on this NEW bike had gone dead, even though I keep it on the tender. But the lights never dim and the volt meter shows 11 volts and never drops. I pulled the seat and found that the battery terminals were hidden behind the ecm module and other assorted parts with no apparent way to access with jumper/charger cables.

I know another trip to the dealer is probably in order but does anyone have any idea how to access the battery terminals to jump or charge the battery without removing the ECM? Any ideas on what might be wrong with the bike and is there anything I can do prior to loading it up on the trailer and hauling it to the dealer (closest one is over an hour away)?

Thanks in advance,
Zack
Try the Starter Positive lead (heavy cable) and use the frame as ground. You should be able to jump it from there.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:39 PM
davidwideglide06
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

imo I would be careful jump starting it. If you jump start it from a vehicle, I would not have the vehicle running. Should be enough juice in vehicle battery to start it. Again just my opinion.