Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ignition problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Matt Sour
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition problems?

Hello this is my first actually post so hope this is the right place.

Here we go... So I bought a used 2000 sportsters xl1200in Houston, back in November which was kept in good condition. The only issue it had was a carb cough and these short chopped pipes. I drove it from Houston to New Orleans and back. Then from Houston to Austin. On the way back to Houston it died and had to be towed because I killed the battery trying to restart it.

When I got back to Houston I recharged the battery and it started back up, but it would cough and sputter mid throttle. So I replaced the pipes with some vince and hines short shots which is a post on its own due to manufacturing issues. Still had cough and stutter. Then I noticed the intake seals leaked. So replaced them and the flanges. Still cough and stutter.

Next I added some sea foam to the tank ran the bike for ten minutes. Let it sit over night. The next morning I took apart the carb and cleaned all the jets and passages. I had read of someone having a similar problem and them correcting it by up jetting their pilot from a 146 to a 148 so I decided to give that a shot.

My plugs were always on the lean side so i decided to raise my needle setting/lower the clip. I did realize that the intake leak leaned the tuning but wanted it richer. Threw it all together and started it up. The cough was gone! But the Sputter Remained!

I need to recheck it, but I tested the voes switch and it seemed to be operating. Still no difference. So I'm at the point that I think its the cdi box. I'm stumped and dont know how to test the electrical modules.

So... with all that said... Any body have any advice or been in a similar situation? Sorry for the long explanation.

Party on!

Old 01-18-2014, 01:47 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Sour
Hello this is my first actually post so hope this is the right place.

Here we go... So I bought a used 2000 sportsters xl1200in Houston, back in November which was kept in good condition. The only issue it had was a carb cough and these short chopped pipes. I drove it from Houston to New Orleans and back. Then from Houston to Austin. On the way back to Houston it died and had to be towed because I killed the battery trying to restart it.

When I got back to Houston I recharged the battery and it started back up, but it would cough and sputter mid throttle. So I replaced the pipes with some vince and hines short shots which is a post on its own due to manufacturing issues. Still had cough and stutter. Then I noticed the intake seals leaked. So replaced them and the flanges. Still cough and stutter.

Next I added some sea foam to the tank ran the bike for ten minutes. Let it sit over night. The next morning I took apart the carb and cleaned all the jets and passages. I had read of someone having a similar problem and them correcting it by up jetting their pilot from a 146 to a 148 so I decided to give that a shot.

My plugs were always on the lean side so i decided to raise my needle setting/lower the clip. I did realize that the intake leak leaned the tuning but wanted it richer. Threw it all together and started it up. The cough was gone! But the Sputter Remained!

I need to recheck it, but I tested the voes switch and it seemed to be operating. Still no difference. So I'm at the point that I think its the cdi box. I'm stumped and dont know how to test the electrical modules.

So... with all that said... Any body have any advice or been in a similar situation? Sorry for the long explanation.

Party on!
It may be electrical, but sounds more like a carb problem. Make sure the slide diaphragm is intact and seated. Also look at the throttle valve air bleed..it may have been modified for a carb kit (someone has been in there if you have an adjustable needle and .46 pilot)...if it's greater than 1/8" dia. you may have a problem. Then check the accelerator pump. You should be able to see a stream of gas flow into the carb throat when you twist the throttle.

What size is the main jet?

If after all this you still think it's electrical, try changing the spark plug wires.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:22 AM
Matt Sour
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Yeah the previous owner installed a Thunder slide kit. I'll take a look at it again. The diaphragm is the stock one if i remember correctly. Last time I put it back together I made sure that it seated correctly. Need to recheck the vacuum tube. Wondering if the voes switch could be dirty? if theres possible.

I'll check it out and then jiggle all the wires around to see if that changes anything.

Live to ride, spend all your time wrenching...

Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Sour
Thanks. Yeah the previous owner installed a Thunder slide kit. I'll take a look at it again. The diaphragm is the stock one if i remember correctly. Last time I put it back together I made sure that it seated correctly. Need to recheck the vacuum tube. Wondering if the voes switch could be dirty? if theres possible.

I'll check it out and then jiggle all the wires around to see if that changes anything.

Live to ride, spend all your time wrenching...
Make sure the vaccum tube doesn't leak. A vaccum leak would cause similar problems.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the ignition module in the nose cone? Does it miss fire on one cylinder?

Heat on the nose cone ignitions will shorten the life of the module and cause a miss fire, usually on one cylinder. I think your module is bad.