Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Why couldnt tuner tweek of the tune in my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 06:17 AM
Vic hale
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my bike in for the knock and the guy took the primary side off and said everything was fine. He said with my air cleaner I might be hearing the piston going up and down, LOL, Never heard that sound until the third time it was dynoed. He said it could be a crank bearing getting bad but just ride it so thats what Im doing. Its got so many dyno runs on it I dont know if I want to take it to another person to dyno it again now that Ive got it running good, Maybe It would get the HP up and after I leaned the VE's down so much maybe its got more power now. Dont know. I find it funny that people couldnt really help me and I had to do it myself. People did help me learn how to change things on the SEPST and that was way worth it. Lesson learned. Next bike get it already built or go with all Harley parts so the flash will be somewhat close. Maybe a good tuner could do the tuning with my woods cams but Im scared to pay to let another person try to re dyno it. Any comments would be great.

Last edited by Vic hale; 10-11-2014 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-11-2014, 07:00 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic hale
My bike is running good, Plugs are burning a light grey. Its getting 170 miles before I have to look for a gas station also. From the dyno tune Ive taken the VE down 25%. Went up on the throttle responce 2% and have the top two ae settings at 0. I know the Tuners are going to freak out on me but its running better and harder then the dyno tune gave me. Injector size is still wrong but its all good now. Ive learned a lot from you guys and its fun getting in the tune and playing with it. The tune thats is! LOL. Im going to do a smart tune some time but its running so good Im not in a hurry to do it! It I just clicked on the lightning bolt yesterday from the tool box and didnt look long at it but see its not pulling the timing. I hate to do the first row going up on timing so might go to second map row and take it up in all boxes 2%. what do U tuners think about doing that?
um.. not a tuner and I'm not going to freak out on you but.. if you've got the wrong injector sizes in the map then your map is wrong regardless if it was dyno-d or not. Why are the injector sizes set incorrectly?

If you're not seeing timing pulled it's likely due to the fact that the bike doesn't need timing pulled in that area.

VEs dropped 25%? I've never seen that large of a correction factor needed without something else causing the need to do so unless you're just changing them to see how she reacts.

Glad to see it's not just this part of the country where good tuners are hard to find.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:36 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Harley parts or after market parts makes no difference. You just need to find a good dyno TUNER if you do another build. Finding the right person to tune your bike should be as important as deciding what parts your going to use. You had some really good advice and some really knowledgeable people TRYING to help you here, I think some of it was lost on you not knowing terminology and it seams not knowing all the components you have in your bike.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Vic hale
Cruiser

I know whats in my bike, I built it and I lowered the injectors down to whats in the bike and it still ran the same. The Harley shop put them higher then what they should be. I put other maps in it and it still ran bad so why not stay with what Ive got. Maybe I had to take all that fuel out because the Harley shop put the stage 4 map in it that calls for a 58 mm throttle body. I would also think a good tuner would know why I had to do whAT i DID BUT i GUESS MY BIKE ISNT LIKE OTHERS!

I guess if I did find a good map I could of copied the higher RPM VE into it but Until I get it to another dyno person I have it running good.

Last edited by Vic hale; 10-14-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: WRONG TB SIZE
Old 10-14-2014, 06:19 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

I know whats in my bike, I built it and I lowered the injectors down to whats in the bike and it still ran the same. The Harley shop put them higher then what they should be. I put other maps in it and it still ran bad so why not stay with what Ive got. Maybe I had to take all that fuel out because the Harley shop put the stage 4 map in it that calls for a 58 mm throttle body. I would also think a good tuner would know why I had to do whAT i DID BUT i GUESS MY BIKE ISNT LIKE OTHERS!

I guess if I did find a good map I could of copied the higher RPM VE into it but Until I get it to another dyno person I have it running good.
No reason to get all defensive. People here are only trying to help you out. Why would you think that a "good tuner" would understand why you did what you did when none of it makes sense? I think you need to start completely over with your tune. If that bike came into my shop and was on my dyno I wouldn't try to build off of the current MAP that is in it, i'd start fresh. My opinion is you should take the bike to a competent tuner, tell them exactly what is in it and hand it over, let them do their thing then pick it up and enjoy it.

The biggest advice I could ever give anybody on researching an engine build is to research shops to have the bike tuned when the build is complete. All the best parts available won't be worth a damn if it's not tuned properly.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:26 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
No reason to get all defensive. People here are only trying to help you out. Why would you think that a "good tuner" would understand why you did what you did when none of it makes sense? I think you need to start completely over with your tune. If that bike came into my shop and was on my dyno I wouldn't try to build off of the current MAP that is in it, i'd start fresh. My opinion is you should take the bike to a competent tuner, tell them exactly what is in it and hand it over, let them do their thing then pick it up and enjoy it.

The biggest advice I could ever give anybody on researching an engine build is to research shops to have the bike tuned when the build is complete. All the best parts available won't be worth a damn if it's not tuned properly.
AMEN. sorry Vic but I feel the same way. And just as I started typing this the notification came up where HT replied to you. What I was going to tell you was simply this. Determine exactly what it is you want, exactly what is in and on your motor, then find a good map to start with (not some map that a dyno tuner or someone else gave you with modified settings) and either street tune it yourself or as HT pointed out, hand it over to a competent tuner, let them do what they need to do, and then enjoy it instead of constantly fighting with it.

and YES YES YES YES.. ding, ding, ding we have a winner! your bike is ALWAYS going to be different than anyone else's just as mine is. I don't give two chits whether you and I have the exact same components installed on the exact same motor in the exact same year bike. They are NOT going to tune the same, that's just the nature of the beast man.. The sooner you understand that, the happier your riding life is going to be.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-14-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Harleytuner, good to se you posting here again. Learned a ton from your posts.
I give up on Vic.
go here if you care to catch up, read from post 2877 and you will get the idea.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...hread-288.html

He has a 103 stage 2 bike with a ported head, using a stage 4 map. (at least from the info gathered)

Old 10-15-2014, 06:03 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
Harleytuner, good to se you posting here again. Learned a ton from your posts.
I give up on Vic.
go here if you care to catch up, read from post 2877 and you will get the idea.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...hread-288.html

He has a 103 stage 2 bike with a ported head, using a stage 4 map. (at least from the info gathered)

Thanks, I hate giving up on someone, but I don't think anything can be done with the current MAP he's running. I'll stand by my earlier suggestion that he just fond a tuner with a good reputation and give them the bike.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Vic hale
Cruiser

I wasnt getting down on the people that helped me learn this program. I also thanked them more then once. I hit the cap locks and didnt want to erase it and type it over LOL. I read and read and what I did helped. I didnt really get help other then put a new map in it and start over and if nothing else I hope there is info on what I did to help another. When I just had cams in it the shop told me they put 6 maps in it and they all sucked. they said they had to buy a map from Harley to get it half way right. So after I did the 103 and heads upgrade I bet my bike has over 40 dyno runs on it. Ive heard its hard on them so where do I stop. I also dont know if you can buy tunes from Harley but thats what they said. Maybe its like I was told, its the Y pipe making it hard to tune. Im happy with it now and if I get a 2 into 1 pipe I will take it to a place Woods told me to take it to. Its North of Dixon IL about 10 miles. I might go back to the last tune before I put smart tunes in it and go another 5% across the board. When I did smart tunes the blocks were 10 to 15% lower then before. The bike was big time rich.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:50 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

I wasnt getting down on the people that helped me learn this program. I also thanked them more then once. I hit the cap locks and didnt want to erase it and type it over LOL. I read and read and what I did helped. I didnt really get help other then put a new map in it and start over and if nothing else I hope there is info on what I did to help another. When I just had cams in it the shop told me they put 6 maps in it and they all sucked. they said they had to buy a map from Harley to get it half way right. So after I did the 103 and heads upgrade I bet my bike has over 40 dyno runs on it. Ive heard its hard on them so where do I stop. I also dont know if you can buy tunes from Harley but thats what they said. Maybe its like I was told, its the Y pipe making it hard to tune. Im happy with it now and if I get a 2 into 1 pipe I will take it to a place Woods told me to take it to. Its North of Dixon IL about 10 miles. I might go back to the last tune before I put smart tunes in it and go another 5% across the board. When I did smart tunes the blocks were 10 to 15% lower then before. The bike was big time rich.
The only MAP you can buy from Harley is a download. Dyno runs aren't real hard on an engine if the engine is built right. Some bikes take longer and more runs to get dialed in than others, but they are all tuneable. There are some tricks that you need to know to tune the "Y" pipe, some give the tuner more problems than others but they all can be tuned. The "Y" pipe has been around for so long i'd think that most decent experienced tuners would know how to work with them by now. The left side actually pulls air into it at lower throttle positions which will result in an inexperoenced tuner adjusting the rear cylinder to rich.

Quick Reply: Why couldnt tuner tweek of the tune in my bike?