Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Why couldnt tuner tweek of the tune in my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It IS time to think about a different pipe. That Y pipe would make it hard for a 'dyno operator' (as opposed to a tuner) to tune the bike. A real tuner would use riv nuts and pop some holes in the pipe for wide bands. Putting sensors in the y pipe holes will make for some fun tuning.....

I have no opinions on a pipe for you. I do not know how loud you may like things... or not.

A mild 103 (555 cams) doesn't need a bigger TB. 103s come with the exact same TB as the one you have on the bike... 50mm. (except your 08 is better than say a 12, because the older 50mm TBs had more metal and could be bored out. Newer TBs cannot do that... get bored out.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Vic hale
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
It IS time to think about a different pipe. That Y pipe would make it hard for a 'dyno operator' (as opposed to a tuner) to tune the bike. A real tuner would use riv nuts and pop some holes in the pipe for wide bands. Putting sensors in the y pipe holes will make for some fun tuning.....

I have no opinions on a pipe for you. I do not know how loud you may like things... or not.

A mild 103 (555 cams) doesn't need a bigger TB. 103s come with the exact same TB as the one you have on the bike... 50mm. (except your 08 is better than say a 12, because the older 50mm TBs had more metal and could be bored out. Newer TBs cannot do that... get bored out.
I cant thank you enough for all this info. I had duels on it but they don't look good. They were the cheap 200 dollar ones. I bet if I put them back on it will cost me to dyno it all over again.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Vic hale
Cruiser

My son put duels on his 2013 and I thought about taking the cat out and making it a 2 into 1 but cant find any info on how it would perform. My duels are fulsac that I took off and it was so loud it made my ears ring. I know I could get smaller baffles but they look like crap on the bike.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Vic hale
Cruiser

Got a call the bike was done and went to pick it up. Started it and it idle up to 2000 rpm. Let it run for a couple minutes and cracked the throttle and it loaded up and started missing on 1 cylinder for a few seconds. He again said on the dyno it lost 4 degrees of timing and he accussed me of messing with the tune. But he said it was fine when they took it off the dyno. Im like put the tune in it that it had and work off that but he said its gone. He said it might be a TB leak or I screwed it up when I put it together. I put 50 miles on it and it ran fine before I took it to them. Then the engine light come on before I shut it off. Its still there and they are going to check for a TB leak tomorrow. I don't know what to do as not many private tuners will tune with a se race tuner. It has to be the y pipe making it hard to tune.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Vic hale
Cruiser

Found out the throttle body is leaking. Its going to be next week before it can be dynode again. Hope it gets a couple more horse and torque.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Vic hale
Cruiser

Its in my post but 4 times at the dealer and all they do is throw a flash in it and play with A/f/ First 3 times it kicked back on itself and puked oil out of the AC. This last time I noticed they used the stage 4 flash but again just did the A/f and I did see him changing the injector size. Puking stopped but is still rich on throttle from Idle. I can blurp it and see black smoke and its not real responsive when I crack the throttle.
I have the program and should get the cables next week. I want to tweak on the ae setting or A/F on the low RPM as Im sure its rich in that area. Im afraid of loosing the tune that's in it tho. Wurk said he would help but sometimes he takes a few days to get back to me. I tuned a 4 banger turbo car I had but it was simple compared to this program. If I lean it in the AE setting it show's temp so that confuses me. Or do I want to lean it in the progress throttle. Wish someone in the Cedar Rapids Iowa area to run me through it and I would understand. Reading for days in this thread it doesn't show the program and what u guys are actually doing. I wish I could get a phone number to talk with someone about this tuning

Last edited by Vic hale; 05-25-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Im new at this forum stuff and copy and pasted this in the wrong thread.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:57 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Think I'd have a few choice words for his accusations and inability to properly diagnose the issue.

BUT.. wait til after its dyno'd. :-)

Old 05-25-2014, 02:16 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Think I'd have a few choice words for his accusations and inability to properly diagnose the issue.

BUT.. wait til after its dyno'd. :-)
OK. Didn't see this in other thread. Apparently you are going to metro. I talked to the dyno guy to see cost for getting some numbers and to see if my afr was not too rich. He had no knowledge of the tts I have other than they used to make seprt. I would advise you to go to silver eagle and talk with them. Madnss is around that area and he has a sporty putting out well over 100hp. I can't say whether Hawkeye(McGrath) has a good dyno tuner or not. No Indy shop close by that I know of. Look up madnss and pm him if silver eagle has good dyno guy or not or where he goes. Waterloo isn't too far if they do.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:16 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's the big issue. I don'y know for certain one way or another if the SEPST will have the last tune flashed to the bike, or not. TTS WILL save the last tune flashed to the bike, and PV can pull out the tune that is in the bike at anytime.

So... maybe a SESPT guru can speak up on this?

Vic, if you are able to get at the last tune shot into the bike, I can help you. If the VCI for the sepst (the dongle you plug in) doesn't save the last tune, then we (you) have some problems. You would have to start over at the beginning. That is NOT the end of the world, but it would sure suck.

What we want to do, so you know is cut the AE in half and see whats happens then. You would decrease this at all temps except for maybe the 2 coldest temps. This is engine temp in the table and not ambient air temp, BTW. And... it is in Celsius, too.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:22 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Vic/wurk_truk.

you can use the SEPST to retrieve the file that's in the bike now and save it locally to modify, etc.

Quick Reply: Why couldnt tuner tweek of the tune in my bike?