Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS/PV install issue--HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:22 AM
SmokeyJoe101
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While your at it take a look here and see if the tune may have been stored there by some wild chance.

http://www.mastertune.net/repositary.php

Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

For some reason, you guys are reading PAST the OP. He IS in possession of HIS MTE. If there was, in fact, something screwy with the original or someone 'else' messed with it, the TTS would not have been able to tune the bike in the first place. The MTE he has is the correct one, because I am fairly certain he did not have anyone else tune the bike AFTER it was in his possession. The MTE he has, is the correct one. Either the MTE became corrupted while in the PC, or it never got loaded in the first place. I don't buy it being corrupted, because he should have tried a couple MTEs by now.

OP? Go hook the bike up to shoot that MTE back into the ECM again. But, before actually programming the bike, I want you to 'Get ECM Info". Lets go see if the ECM actually got re programmed with the MTE.

Do NOT use Mastertune2 for this, either. Use original Mastertune. One can use Datamaster2 all day long, but one MUST use the correct version of Mastertune.

Also, you find the thread on how to find codes in the speedo. There will be a PN in there for what tune is in the bike. That part number will be wildy different between a DUH calibration or the stock calibration.

My thought is you think it programmed, but it may not have. Normally the issue is with putting a PV back to stock to then use a TTS. WIth a PV, one must be sure to check all of the 'toggles' that may have been turned off. Piece of cake if this is done.

Here is a bit of advice to all members who DIY tune. When first tuning and saving your original calibration? Always be sure, then, that you know how to shoot your original calibration back into the bike AT THAT TIME. Actually do it, shoot that MTE or PV cal back into the bike. Then later on, it will come back to you on the how to do this deal.

OK, It is my belief the ECM was not flashed back with the MTE properly. This can happen.

If you just can't get it to work? Call Steve Cole @ 310-669-8101. Oh, to answer your questions. A 'reflash' will not help. And, NO, TTS should NOT leave anything behind to inhibit your PV marrying to the bike. So... there IS an issue with getting the MTE programmed back into the bike properly.

I have done this both ways... TTS to PV and PV to TTS. Usually there is no drama whatsoever, so something.... is amiss, here.

Ummmm I admit that the Wiz is correct... why go to a PV in the first place?

Last edited by wurk_truk; 03-26-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OP, where do you live?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
For some reason, you guys are reading PAST the OP.

He IS in possession of HIS MTE. If there was, in fact, something screwy with the original or someone 'else' messed with it, the TTS would not have been able to tune the bike in the first place. The MTE he has is the correct one, because I am fairly certain he did not have anyone else tune the bike AFTER it was in his possession. The MTE he has, is the correct one. Either the MTE became corrupted while in the PC, or it never got loaded in the first place. I don't buy it being corrupted, because he should have tried a couple MTEs by now.

OP? Go hook the bike up to shoot that MTE back into the ECM again. But, before actually programming the bike, I want you to 'Get ECM Info". Lets go see if the ECM actually got re programmed with the MTE.

Do NOT use Mastertune2 for this, either. Use original Mastertune. One can use Datamaster2 all day long, but one MUST use the correct version of Mastertune.

Also, you find the thread on how to find codes in the speedo. There will be a PN in there for what tune is in the bike. That part number will be wildy different between a DUH calibration or the stock calibration.

My thought is you think it programmed, but it may not have. Normally the issue is with putting a PV back to stock to then use a TTS. WIth a PV, one must be sure to check all of the 'toggles' that may have been turned off. Piece of cake if this is done.

Here is a bit of advice to all members who DIY tune. When first tuning and saving your original calibration? Always be sure, then, that you know how to shoot your original calibration back into the bike AT THAT TIME. Actually do it, shoot that MTE or PV cal back into the bike. Then later on, it will come back to you on the how to do this deal.

OK, It is my belief the ECM was not flashed back with the MTE properly. This can happen.
He bought the bike with just under 1000 miles on it. Said it was a trade in. So, no... didn't read past the OP.

Doubt it was corrupted because he can flash it back into the ECM. MasterTune would tell him if the file was bad.

He's tried the option to install the .MTE several times. No Joy.

To get past this, if he still wants the PV, is to call Steve. Personally I would send it back and keep what he has... but that's just me.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
OP, where do you live?

I'll give you a hint.

He's farther away from you than he is from me and... He's closer to UNutz than either of us.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:01 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
No, not really. The TTS would have simply converted what was in the ECM into a .MTE file. You have proof of that.

The PV only works with a factory calibration as it pulls it out, makes a few changes to the factory file and puts it back in leaving the stock power management features alone. Where the TTS will pull out all the info, clear the ECM storage area and overwrite it with an .MT7 or MT8 file.

It is possible that when the bike was new the owner told the Dealer to dyno it using a TTS and the first owner could have this TTS that you never got. The original owner could have kept the TTS knowing he could buy another license for half the price of a new one.

If that is the case then your new TTS converted a MT* file into an .MTE. This would make the PV useless to you since you are without the factory.MTE.

When you purchased your TTS, the new TTS wouldn't know the difference.

Like I said... contact TTS. Send them your .MTE file. They can see what is what. It may be possible for them to make a factory .MTE file to put into your bike but it won't be the original so it may not do you any good for use with the PV.

Personally... I would keep the TTS. Let the flaming begin but to me the TTS is a better tuner. If you know someone with a Blue TTS, borrow it and record your data then use the Black box to flash. You can use the flight recorder software without dragging a computer around and coming soon there will be VTune 3 where the TTS will not only set VE's but do your timing, EGR's and Cubic Inch conversions as well as your cam selection data. To my knowledge the PV can't do that.
Respecfully, you are incorrect here on several accounts. Your statement "The PV only works with a factory calibration as it pulls it out, makes a few changes to the factory file and puts it back in leaving the stock power management features alone" is false on multiple levels, in simple terms if this was the case we would not be able to flash various strategy levels into a single ECM as the structure is completely different (i.e 2008 TBW, Level 205, 218, etc.) Simply said, we have the ability to capture and reflash every piece of the entire calibration. As far as features, PV gives you access to as many as 35+ tables, this includes VE, timing, charge dilution (EGR), cubic inch, and it will automatically calculate & scale displacement if necessary when using Auto Tune. Cam IVO & IVC are preset in all of the base maps, however the tables are not exposed in the consumer level WinPv software directly for the time being. Among these tuning tables PV also gives you the ability to change parameters such as the min/max closed loop temp, min/max adaptive control temp, knock control min temp just to name a few, as well as the unique feature which allows users to run closed loop without adaptive block learn (AFF/AFV). In the end we recommend using the product the customer or his/her tuner is most comfortable working with, that gives them the toolset & resources they require for their needs, and using the product can get the best support on.

To the OP, if you are having any issues whatsoever getting the PV married please contact us, we CAN get your PV married and flashed and offer unlimited support. All channels are open.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Dozer40
Supporter
Received 328 Likes on 176 Posts

This is getting good! I wondered when Jamie would chime in!

Old 03-26-2014, 02:46 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Respecfully, you are incorrect here on several accounts. Your statement "The PV only works with a factory calibration as it pulls it out, makes a few changes to the factory file and puts it back in leaving the stock power management features alone" is false on multiple levels, in simple terms if this was the case we would not be able to flash various strategy levels into a single ECM as the structure is completely different (i.e 2008 TBW, Level 205, 218, etc.) Simply said, we have the ability to capture and reflash every piece of the entire calibration. As far as features, PV gives you access to as many as 35+ tables, this includes VE, timing, charge dilution (EGR), cubic inch, and it will automatically calculate & scale displacement if necessary when using Auto Tune. Cam IVO & IVC are preset in all of the base maps, however the tables are not exposed in the consumer level WinPv software directly for the time being. Among these tuning tables PV also gives you the ability to change parameters such as the min/max closed loop temp, min/max adaptive control temp, knock control min temp just to name a few, as well as the unique feature which allows users to run closed loop without adaptive block learn (AFF/AFV). In the end we recommend using the product the customer or his/her tuner is most comfortable working with, that gives them the toolset & resources they require for their needs, and using the product can get the best support on.

To the OP, if you are having any issues whatsoever getting the PV married please contact us, we CAN get your PV married and flashed and offer unlimited support. All channels are open.
In reply, respectfully...As a "consumer" of the PV product which you sell I or any consumer doesn't have the advanced version and can't do the adjustment like you or DynoJet but a normal consumer can when using the TTS product for the tables. The truth is most people, heavy use consumers or not, have no reason to even adjust the Closed Loop temp information and truth be known have no idea how to do this when working with the PV. Where in actuality the PV, for the average consumer, does take and overwrites a portion the stock HD calibration file, makes changes to one of the many facets of the total number of files (buffers) held within the ECM and reinserts it. This to me is why the stock calibration file bytes are larger than the PV file going back into the bike. Others, such as you, can use an advanced version of the software or send it over to DynoJet to have the code changes for the consumer if needed. This advanced software you have as a dealer is still not the fully advanced version used by DynoJet. When using the PV to do have all the abilities you say it has a consumer must also purchase the above stated Auto-tune.

This is just one of the reasons why I, as a consumer, prefer the TTS over the PV, respectively of course.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:03 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't mess with the wiz...even if I was Jamie

Old 03-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Guys... this is a civil conversation between me and Jamie. No show here. Jamie and I have the fullest respect for each other and will continue to do so.

Besides... the OP is a grown man. We on the board can only make suggestions that we all feel may be in his best interests. Bottom line, it's all up to the OP.

-Wiz out-

Quick Reply: TTS/PV install issue--HELP!