Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS/PV install issue--HELP!

Old 03-26-2014, 04:16 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
In reply, respectfully...As a "consumer" of the PV product which you sell I or any consumer doesn't have the advanced version and can't do the adjustment like you or DynoJet but a normal consumer can when using the TTS product for the tables. The truth is most people, heavy use consumers or not, have no reason to even adjust the Closed Loop temp information and truth be known have no idea how to do this when working with the PV. Where in actuality the PV, for the average consumer, does take and overwrites a portion the stock HD calibration file, makes changes to one of the many facets of the total number of files (buffers) held within the ECM and reinserts it. This to me is why the stock calibration file bytes are larger than the PV file going back into the bike. Others, such as you, can use an advanced version of the software or send it over to DynoJet to have the code changes for the consumer if needed. This advanced software you have as a dealer is still not the fully advanced version used by DynoJet. When using the PV to do have all the abilities you say it has a consumer must also purchase the above stated Auto-tune.

This is just one of the reasons why I, as a consumer, prefer the TTS over the PV, respectively of course.
End of the day we are all tuning the same ECM and using the tables, it all comes down to the specific toolset. Regardless of brand, when a base calibration is initially "built" with the master software there are many things that are set up in any given calibration that are not exposed in the map, this includes PV, SEPRO, TTS, DL, etc. As far as comparing the specific tables one product to the next, as far as I know the only table in TTS that you cannot adjust in the PV software is the cam IVO/IVC, however inversely there are several other tables within PV that are not in the other products as noted, whether you choose to adjust or use given table is up to you. All of the features discussed work with Auto Tune, even the AT Basic app which uses the factory sensors, nothing additional has to be purchased. You can also tune an unlimited amount of bikes with a single PV, additional tune licenses are $199.00.

As far as flashing the ECM and the specific protocol it uses you are simply incorrect, plain and simple. Due to non-disclosure agreements and simply out of respect for Dynojet I am not going to lay out a blueprint of the inner PV workings on an internet forum. A short answer is the PV device operates differently than the VCI you are used to in the way it sends/receives data, the info you posted in this regard is incorrect. If you are interested in more info I would be more than happy to discuss off line.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 03-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
End of the day we are all tuning the same ECM and using the tables, it all comes down to the specific toolset. Regardless of brand, when a base calibration is initially "built" with the master software there are many things that are set up in any given calibration that are not exposed in the map, this includes PV, SEPRO, TTS, DL, etc. As far as comparing the specific tables one product to the next, as far as I know the only table in TTS that you cannot adjust in the PV software is the cam IVO/IVC, however inversely there are several other tables within PV that are not in the other products as noted, whether you choose to adjust or use given table is up to you. All of the features discussed work with Auto Tune, even the AT Basic app which uses the factory sensors, nothing additional has to be purchased. You can also tune an unlimited amount of bikes with a single PV, additional tune licenses are $199.00.

As far as flashing the ECM and the specific protocol it uses you are simply incorrect, plain and simple. Due to non-disclosure agreements and simply out of respect for Dynojet I am not going to lay out a blueprint of the inner PV workings on an internet forum. A short answer is the PV device operates differently than the VCI you are used to in the way it sends/receives data, the info you posted in this regard is incorrect. If you are interested in more info I would be more than happy to discuss off line.
OK..... thanks

Old 03-29-2014, 12:02 AM
PowerSmoke
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE--Gentlemen--Thank you for your assistance, and for sharing your knowledge--Between the three most recent posters, I have NO doubt that this issue will be resolved--you guys are the most experienced around, with this stuff.Been out of town with work, and just got home to reply...For now--the bike is with my local indy having cams installed. I will probably pick it up sometime early next week, and will resume the tuning attempts then.WT--I have a feeling that the base tune wasn't getting written, as well. Will defintitely give your suggestion a try as soon as I get the bike home.Will follow up here, then.Much respect to you all, and thanks again.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 AM
PowerSmoke
Tourer

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
OP? Go hook the bike up to shoot that MTE back into the ECM again. But, before actually programming the bike, I want you to 'Get ECM Info". Lets go see if the ECM actually got re programmed with the MTE.

Do NOT use Mastertune2 for this, either. Use original Mastertune. One can use Datamaster2 all day long, but one MUST use the correct version of Mastertune.

Also, you find the thread on how to find codes in the speedo. There will be a PN in there for what tune is in the bike. That part number will be wildy different between a DUH calibration or the stock calibration.

My thought is you think it programmed, but it may not have. Normally the issue is with putting a PV back to stock to then use a TTS. WIth a PV, one must be sure to check all of the 'toggles' that may have been turned off. Piece of cake if this is done.

OK, It is my belief the ECM was not flashed back with the MTE properly. This can happen.

If you just can't get it to work? Call Steve Cole @ 310-669-8101. Oh, to answer your questions. A 'reflash' will not help. And, NO, TTS should NOT leave anything behind to inhibit your PV marrying to the bike. So... there IS an issue with getting the MTE programmed back into the bike properly.

I have done this both ways... TTS to PV and PV to TTS. Usually there is no drama whatsoever, so something.... is amiss, here.

Ummmm I admit that the Wiz is correct... why go to a PV in the first place?
Ok--
Back on with this issue--
Went through the steps as described above, and wurktruk seems to be onto something.
Using MT1.0, I first checked the ecm and it responds like it should. It identifies the VIN, and shows the current tune loaded.
I then went through the restore steps, selected the MTE, the status bar gets to about 80%, the bike electronics cycle on and off, and it shows complete.
It tells me to turn the ignition off for 10sec or whatever before starting, then it says complete. I can see the ECM window in the background and it still has the original tune showing.
I turn the switch off, wait a minute or two, and then start the bike just for laughs.
I turn the bike off, hookup everything again, check the ecm, and the tune still shows as installed. For whatever reason it is NOT loading the MTE to the ECM.

I went through all the trouble shooting steps-- disconnected the battery for 10 mins, reset my USB port, etc. nothing has worked.
I have tried to restore the factory tune 15-20 times and it does the same thing every single time.
It LOOKS like it has completed the restore, and gives me the wait before restart message---and every single time the modified tune is still there when i check the ECM.
There are NO errors, no faults, no nothing, to indicate the ECM wasnt restored as planned. Any tips to get past this point?

Last edited by PowerSmoke; 04-14-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:27 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Call Steve in the morning, my friend. Truly, he is there to help folks like you, where folks like me and Wiz run out of expertise.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:35 AM
PowerSmoke
Tourer

Call Steve in the morning, my friend. Truly, he is there to help folks like you, where folks like me and Wiz run out of expertise.
Yep, I was thinking that was the next step, at this point.
Not gonna waste any more time guessing.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

John... Didn't thing you EVER ran out of expertise

DR. John

The OP is seeing the same calibration number in Mastertune Edit or ECM Info??