Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS/PV install issue--HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:06 PM
PowerSmoke
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TTS restore issue affecting PowerVison install--HELP!

been a while since i've been on here--
been waiting out the cold to do some motor work, finally ready to get started this week-and find i may have a problem.
Hoping some of the electronic gurus can lend a hand...

Ordered woods 555 cams, bearings, etc, and PV from Fuelmoto last week.
I ordered the PV specifically to get custom tune that Jamie wrote for my setup, since most all aftermarket parts are from Fuelmoto.

Had been using TTS prior to ordering this stuff.
Was told before ordering that I would have to reflash factory tune before using PV--
I figured no problem.
Hooked up TTS, set it to "restore" and found .mte file, loaded it, everything looked fine.

Connected PV, set it to load custom file, and get error message--
"Cannot unlock ECM"...

Tried multiple times to restore w TTS, each time seems to work fine, no errors or anything.
But regardless, the PV will not marry to the ECM or unlock it.
I assume the TTS preventing me from loading new PV tune.
So--even though its been "restored", does the TTS leave something on the ECM to prevent further programming?
Surely its not "locked" even though the factory tune was replaced.
Is there a way around this?
Does it need a dealer re-flash or what?

Otherwise the PV seems to be reading everything correctly--it reads the basic ECM info, just wont program it.

Last edited by PowerSmoke; 03-24-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:22 PM
PowerSmoke
Tourer

a lot of views but no comments--
No one else has switched programmers or restored the factory tune and had trouble?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:58 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

since you think you flashed the original file back to the ecm, try this.
1) The TTS can save and reflash the original file but it cannot view that original file. Try opening from the interface to confirm it was put back into the ECM.

if that does not help
2) reflash the last tune you had in there, then try flashing the original again

disclaimer: I do not use the TTS the suggestions are computer related ideas for incomplete file transfers.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:47 AM
SmokeyJoe101
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from the TTS to the Power Vision -

Make sure you are restoring the stock tune!

Had no issues doing the swap

Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM
PowerSmoke
Tourer

Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe101
I went from the TTS to the Power Vision - Make sure you are restoring the stock tune!
Excellent point, and something I had considered may be an issue.CAn anyone verify what the original tune is called or saved as when TTS removes it?I had to look for it when restoring, and thought it was named oddly.I read someone elses post and they mentioned theirs was VIN.mte---the file that I found to restore was saved as Base Cab file.MTE.I don't remember if I changed the name saving it or what.It may not matter, but I was afraid the file might be the issue.Say my factory ecm file is gone or whatever---then what?

Last edited by PowerSmoke; 03-25-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

If you have the blue TTS your factory file is saved in the TTS blue box.

If you have the black box the file must be from your computer.

Your stock file will be your VIN#.MTE and you are correct that it must be installed before it will unlock the ECM.

If your factory ECM is gone or whatever then you can't use the TTS anyway as it is married to the ECM you just flashed. Same with the VP or SEPRO. If your ECM burns up then both TTS and PV will sell you another license for 200. Cheaper than purchasing new.

If you still can't find your stock .MTE file then contact TTS.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM
PowerSmoke
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
If you have the black box the file must be from your computer.

Your stock file will be your VIN#.MTE and you are correct that it must be installed before it will unlock the ECM.

If you still can't find your stock .MTE file then contact TTS.
Thanks for the reply.

More info-- I have the black box, so it was saved to my computer.

When I first started using the TTS, one thing that I was told repeatedly was to save the base file in multiple locations, ie USB drive, cd rom, etc.
Well, I did that.
I have two copies of the excat same file on two different laptops at home, I had a USB drive in my saddlebag with the file on it, and I had saved it on my desktop at work just in case.

I just got to work, and found the original file I saved back in 2011.
I named the folder "Factory Harley calibration", so I know it was the right thing.
Actually, I had forgotten all about that one until last night, so I know it wasn't tampered with or anything.
ALL of these files are named the same thing-- [ base cab file.MTE ]

When I first tried to restore the ECM, Mastertune went directly to this file on my laptop.
When I loaded it up, it showed the correct motor, had my name in the comment box---as far as I could tell it was correct file.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

With the bike hooked up to the computer with the TTS and you open your last file you go to the Programing Functions. What drop down menu did you choose?

If you chose restore factory calibration you would have seen it took much longer than an ordinary flash. It must pull the information out of the ECM then write the factory cal in a different format. Your progress bars should turn different colors telling you the TTS is taking it back to factory.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:01 PM
PowerSmoke
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
With the bike hooked up to the computer with the TTS and you open your last file you go to the Programing Functions. What drop down menu did you choose?

If you chose restore factory calibration you would have seen it took much longer than an ordinary flash. It must pull the information out of the ECM then write the factory cal in a different format. Your progress bars should turn different colors telling you the TTS is taking it back to factory.
It DID take much longer--in fact, I first thought my laptop was frozen, and watched it to make sure it kept going.
Definitely don't remember "different" color changes.
Maybe the progress bar was empty/white then went to red as it filled up? Cant say that sticks in my mind.
But yes--
I went to the drop down, hit save/restore, the MasterTune ECM screen opened, I hit the command button at the top, then "restore", and it pulled up the file in question, I selected it and I hit "restore ecm calibration".
It loaded fine, no errors, or anything odd at all.

I am now extremely concerned/confused about this MTE file. All 3 or 4 copies I have are named the same thing--and its not something basic or simple that I would have renamed it, if I was to. I bought this bike from a dealership as a trade in with less than a 1000 miles on it.
I am now worried that it may have been programmed previous to me.
But, if it was, wouldn't the TTS unit have had errors or trouble pulling the "non-factory" tune?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by PowerSmoke
I bought this bike from a dealership as a trade in with less than a 1000 miles on it.
I am now worried that it may have been programmed previous to me.
But, if it was, wouldn't the TTS unit have had errors or trouble pulling the "non-factory" tune?
No, not really. The TTS would have simply converted what was in the ECM into a .MTE file. You have proof of that.

The PV only works with a factory calibration as it pulls it out, makes a few changes to the factory file and puts it back in leaving the stock power management features alone. Where the TTS will pull out all the info, clear the ECM storage area and overwrite it with an .MT7 or MT8 file.

It is possible that when the bike was new the owner told the Dealer to dyno it using a TTS and the first owner could have this TTS that you never got. The original owner could have kept the TTS knowing he could buy another license for half the price of a new one.

If that is the case then your new TTS converted a MT* file into an .MTE. This would make the PV useless to you since you are without the factory.MTE.

When you purchased your TTS, the new TTS wouldn't know the difference.

Like I said... contact TTS. Send them your .MTE file. They can see what is what. It may be possible for them to make a factory .MTE file to put into your bike but it won't be the original so it may not do you any good for use with the PV.

Personally... I would keep the TTS. Let the flaming begin but to me the TTS is a better tuner. If you know someone with a Blue TTS, borrow it and record your data then use the Black box to flash. You can use the flight recorder software without dragging a computer around and coming soon there will be VTune 3 where the TTS will not only set VE's but do your timing, EGR's and Cubic Inch conversions as well as your cam selection data. To my knowledge the PV can't do that.

Quick Reply: TTS/PV install issue--HELP!