Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2003 Dyna Low Rider Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:10 PM
tallbearblue
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dyna Low Rider Electrical Issue

I got a 03 Dyna Low Rider about a month ago from a H-D Dealership here in town. A couple days after I bought it, it had an electrical issue that was fixed by the dealership at no cost by rewiring the rear end. After a few weeks of no issues, I rode the bike today for a couple hours, got home and a few minutes later go to crank it back up and it was DEAD. No clicks, no lights, no nothing.

Hooked up a booster to it to boost it off and the lights came on and it clicked when trying to start but nothing else. Wouldn't turn over. Took the battery out and put a voltmeter on it and it registered 12.6, and load tested it and it was good. So I have pretty much figured that the battery is not the issue.

I'm not familiar with the electrical systems of Harleys so I was hoping for some direction.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:03 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

IIRC, your bike has a power relay. Like 50 amps. If so, remove that relay and install a 50 amp fuse in its place. This is a carb bike, right?

SOmeone here will have more 'how to' guidance for you, but I have a sneaky feeling that will be it.

I hope you really enjoy your bike in the years ahead. Post a picture of your bike so we can see it.

Welcome to HDF, BTW, too!

Old 03-30-2014, 10:33 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just a few questions ..have you checked all connections ? Check all grounds .should be one on battery ,it also runs to a stud in frame under the seat .another ground runs from back side of fuse panel to top strarter bolt ..check positive connects at battery and starter .at starter should be one from battery and one that goes to fuse panel .brush and tighten them.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:26 PM
tallbearblue
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
IIRC, your bike has a power relay. Like 50 amps. If so, remove that relay and install a 50 amp fuse in its place. This is a carb bike, right?

SOmeone here will have more 'how to' guidance for you, but I have a sneaky feeling that will be it.

I hope you really enjoy your bike in the years ahead. Post a picture of your bike so we can see it.

Welcome to HDF, BTW, too!
Yes, it's a carb. I ended up taking the battery back off and using a wirebrush to clean the leads and made sure all the connections were good and tight. After that, she started right up. So for now the problem seems to be fixed.

I attached a picture of the bike for all to see.

Thanks for all the info, boys.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Dyna Low Rider Electrical Issue-sam_27051.jpg