Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Best tuner product for a 2003 FLSTSI with no O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Best tuner product for a 2003 FLSTSI with no O2 sensors?

Hope someone will take a minute to help me, I see there are some tuning gurus in this section.

I've been tuning my and my buddies' Vettes for 7 years using HP Tuners and a wideband so tuning is not new to me.

I recently installed straight pipes on my Heritage Springer and it now desperately needs a tune. I have baffles on the way and want to tune after I receive them.

Could someone recommend the best tuning product for me, given that my bike doesn't have o2 sensors and thus no closed loop? Unlike in the Vette where I have scanned 494 drag strip runs and tweak timing and fuel to the nth degree chasing tenths, I just cruise on my bike and need it to run decently. I don't plan to get a wideband and tune WOT, I'm not racing this bike.

I am liking what I am reading on the TTS product, seems familiar to me. Can I buy a used cable on ebay and buy credits from TTS to tune my bike? I scoured their website and the TTS for dummies paper (well done Mr. Lizard!) but couldn't get this answer.

I also don't know if TTS is useful for a simple bike like mine with no O2 sensors and I guess thus a speed density tune.

Appreciate any advice you folks could offer me and appreciate the time you take to reply.

Edit:
Ran across a nice website that gives info on the various options for tuning an EFI bike. Thought someone that runs across this thread might find it useful.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/m...i_upgrades.htm

Last edited by Joe_G; 04-16-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Guys, I realize this is a newbie question...I was a newbie too on Corvetteforum.com 12 years ago...but I still like to help the new guy getting started in the hobby when I can. I've searched but didn't find the advice I seek as written above.

84 views over 5 days and not one person cares to spend just a minute to help me with some experience they have?

I would sure appreciate the time anyone takes to answer me with some tips. Even if it's a referral to a good Harley tuning forum. TTS Mastertune doesn't have a forum, and I got lost in the 5000 post sticky on this page.

FYI if you want to tune a GM car, hptuners.com has a terrific forum with excellent how-to's for beginners. If anyone has any specific tuning questions on an ls-x platform I'm happy to help them.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:11 PM
95ci springer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like power commander.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 95ci springer
I like power commander.
Thanks for the reply.

I see you have a springer like me...but I don't even have room for a run/turn/brake controller under my seat, and I think the power commander is a piggy back item, correct?

Where did you put it?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 PM
95ci springer
Tourer

Under the seat on the fender above the plug

Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

With a 2003 MY bike? Your choices are limited. Can't really use a TTS. Well, you could... but you would need a wide band set up that logs data in all areas like a DTT Twin Scan Plus Kit.

Best bet? And you WILL need some kind of wide band or how do you dial in the Fuel.? I recommend a Power Commander 5, for your bike, if they make one, and get the AT100 wide band kit to go with it.

I had my PC3 on a softie, and i placed it under the fender between the oil bag and the bottom of the fender. Wrapped the **** out of it and brought out the cable for programming.

If you wish to go to a dyno shop, things open up a bit, but for DIY? PCV is about the best you will get. NO TTS, SEPST or PV.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:49 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
With a 2003 MY bike? Your choices are limited. Can't really use a TTS. Well, you could... but you would need a wide band set up that logs data in all areas like a DTT Twin Scan Plus Kit.

Best bet? And you WILL need some kind of wide band or how do you dial in the Fuel.? I recommend a Power Commander 5, for your bike, if they make one, and get the AT100 wide band kit to go with it.

I had my PC3 on a softie, and i placed it under the fender between the oil bag and the bottom of the fender. Wrapped the **** out of it and brought out the cable for programming.

If you wish to go to a dyno shop, things open up a bit, but for DIY? PCV is about the best you will get. NO TTS, SEPST or PV.
Thanks for the post Work _Truk.

Since this bike is just for cruising I would be happy to adjust fueling like we did back in the old days by changing jets and reading plugs. I suspect adding 10% fuel to the stock table would be a good start and I could tweak from there and get happy with it. The bike is clearly lean with the open pipes, I can feel it, went on another ride last night.

I watched some Youtube videos on SE Pro, seems like it would work well, I'd just need to learn the specific tables for the bike, but it's dead simple compared to all the tables we have access to on a Vette and I enjoy tuning so it would be fun.

But I just checked, I can't buy SE Pro for my bike.

I would prefer a tool to tune my bikes computer using my computer, any recommendations for that? I will look into power commander into the meantime, thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited by Joe_G; 04-04-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:23 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Did some more homework...looks like the Cobra is an add on, nice device, but I prefer to tune and remove..

It seems TTS Master tune is my only option...anyone have any other suggestions? It's kind of pricey since I don't plan to play with tuning all the time like I do on my Vette.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:12 PM
95ci springer
Tourer

Power commander USB III! Got mine for about $250.00 and used it to tune my 95ci with cams. Used a canned map the day I got it and had a smile ear to ear! The terry components velocity III was what I used before it. It's now in the garbage!

Last edited by 95ci springer; 04-08-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:46 AM
wolf_59
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTS will work fine for tuning your bike you just won't be able to Vtune with it, I used it on my 04 Fatboy with a digital AFR meter to get VE's corrected to meet commanded AFR lot work doing it that way would have been a lot easier using the DTT WEGO to capture the data, but eventually upgraded the ECM to 05 and wired in the NB O2 sensors so I could Vtune, unfortunately your not able to upgrade the 03 ecm to the 05 and later to do this
Hope this Helps
Wolf

Quick Reply: Best tuner product for a 2003 FLSTSI with no O2 sensors?