Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

V&H FP3 Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default V&H FP3 Impressions

I installed a V&H FP3 on my 2013 Deluxe this morning.

First off I am not interested in getting every ounce of power out of my bike. This is my 6th Harley and I have never done more than a Stage 1. My goal was to make the bike run cooler, run better and sound better. Recently I installed V&H Short Shots with quiet baffles to get rid of the cat. With just the slip ons, decel pop was terrible. While I was waiting for the FP3 to arrive I installed a VIED that I had on a previous bike. This made the decel pop bearable but was not the answer for me.

The FP3 came in this morning and it is a 10 minute install, plug & play. It took about 5 minutes to download the appropriate map and flash it it my bike. Literally, the most time consuming part of the install was taking the seat off and putting it back on.

I went for a 100 mile ride. The bike is definitely cooler, throttle response is much better and seat of the pants - seems to have more power.
The bike now sounds great with absolutely no decel pop. I am happy with things are now so I haven't decided yet if I will try the auto tune. I just have 100 miles on the FP3 but can't really imagine anything going wrong. Assuming my bike continues to run like it does now, I highly recommend this product.

A few notes -
There is plenty of room under the Softail seat to leave the unit installed or if you do not run auto tune, you can take it off.
The unit discovers your VIN and is married to your bike on the first flash.
The instructions are minimal but you don't really need much.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 AM
afrescop
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is good to know. I am also looking at the FP3. Im like you and only plan on a good set of pipes and AC. Keep posting about your experience with it. I plan on ordering mine in the next few days.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:08 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm looking at this myself. Sounds good so far.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:33 AM
smiddy28
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FP3 flash update

I installed the FuelPak FP3 a few days ago and I've been very pleased with the result. Runs cooler, better throttle response, no decel pop and tick-over is more stable; all this from the V&H canned map.

Running autotune presented problems which I eventually overcame; here's how. After flashing the canned map I decided to run the autotune function, I was told to select which map to autotune and I selected the canned map and the FP3 went ahead and flashed the ECM.

This is where it went wrong, the bike would not start, it turned over but would not fire, behaving as if it was out of fuel. My first action was to re-flash the canned map but the FP3 was now in autotune mode so would not allow me the access any installed maps. I selected autotune again and then selected to finish autotuning, I was now able to access the installed maps. I re-flashed the V&H canned map which worked I could now start the bike.

So what went wrong? The following day I attempted to run autotune again after using some of the other functions of the FP3, this produced the same result but this time I noted a message saying "the ECM flash was not completed", once again the bike would not start. After re-flashing the V&H map again and getting the bike running I turned off the engine and switched off the ignition. After waiting 30 seconds I turned on the ignition, waited a further 30 seconds for the FP3 to boot and then run the autotune option, this time the FP3 reported the flash was successful and the bike started.

In summary, it seams the FP3 autotune feature needs to be run without having previously run any other of the FP3 features for that session. My guess is this is an issue with the internal RAM of the FP3.

Can anyone confirm this?

Old 07-26-2015, 10:44 AM
300Slim
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fp3 install

I installed this unit yesterday. Flashed the new map for slip on's and ran.
Unfourtunatley the decel pop remained the same as the HD map they flashed after the slip on's and open AC were installed. It may of sounded better thou.

I have problems running the unit, Trying to Auto tune it.Seems that every time I flash it, it tells me to turn off the bike and the Bluetooth will reconnect. It does not. Ever. End up recycling from the begining. Seems to be a very specific way to do it. Blue tooth on, Bike on, Start app.

I started the auto tune but after bit it looses the BT connection. Cant get it to connect without recycling and then all is lost.

Does the Bluetooth rely on cell and/or Data connection?

I talked to V&H cust service and didnt get any real help.

It's a cool piece of equipment seeing that you can see and change things like ETMS on/off temps, ect. It would nice if you could turn off the headlamp while programing.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:01 AM
swifty
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 300Slim
I installed this unit yesterday. Flashed the new map for slip on's and ran.
Unfourtunatley the decel pop remained the same as the HD map they flashed after the slip on's and open AC were installed. It may of sounded better thou.

I have problems running the unit, Trying to Auto tune it.Seems that every time I flash it, it tells me to turn off the bike and the Bluetooth will reconnect. It does not. Ever. End up recycling from the begining. Seems to be a very specific way to do it. Blue tooth on, Bike on, Start app.

I started the auto tune but after bit it looses the BT connection. Cant get it to connect without recycling and then all is lost.

Does the Bluetooth rely on cell and/or Data connection?

I talked to V&H cust service and didnt get any real help.

It's a cool piece of equipment seeing that you can see and change things like ETMS on/off temps, ect. It would nice if you could turn off the headlamp while programing.

Something does not sound right, What slipons did you install. and did you flash it with the correct baffle. When I flash my bike and had V&H slipons I had no decel popping at all. and no need for auto tune,, It was the same results for my friends bike....

Old 07-26-2015, 11:11 AM
300Slim
Road Captain

Installed the Slash cut, standard baff. Downloaded it twice and flashed. No Diff. I do have the HD AC that just opend the back side a bit and retained the original cover. Notched it out a bit in front for some cooler air.

Last edited by 300Slim; 07-26-2015 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add words
Old 07-26-2015, 12:44 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by smiddy28
it seams the FP3 autotune feature needs to be run without having previously run any other of the FP3 features for that session.
Hi All
I've never had a problem flashing the bike or starting an autotune. You can do whatever you want on the FP3, edit maps, copy, reset error codes yada yada ...and then just run autotune.

It asks which map you want to use as the start point, so pick the one you downloaded and is closest to your new bits. It will faff about for quite a bit, then flash, then ask to turn the bike off, wait 30 seconds, turn bike back on...

...now at this point, the bluetooth will get out of bed when it is good and darned well ready and can't take quite a few minutes, the awkward sod. On the other hand, sometimes it picks it up in a matter of seconds ...go figure.

The point about being stuck in autotune ...they added a feature to forcibly exit should you want/need to - never seen it myself but presumably sometimes it doesn't quite play as advertised (try again and you'll get it next time)

Bluetooth and/or the FP3 doesn't care about Data or Cell connections, unless you are trying to download a map, send an email, up/download your map to customer service ...and getting firmware updates :-)

By the way - I seem to be able to program away on the FP3 and save changes etc when my bike is switched to Acc (so no headlight )

hope that helps

now, if only they would fix the average fuel consumption, and allow mpg instead of litres per km or whatever it is.

Last edited by Gordon61; 07-26-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:59 PM
300Slim
Road Captain

Gordon61 thanks for that. Its just not me then. I agree on the litres. Also the temp in Degrees in addition to Celsius.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:42 PM
Rubline
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

At first I was running the FL-Vieds on my 14 Fat Bob with a DK Customs AC and V&H 3" Slip-ons. No matter the setting, I was getting a lot of decel pop. Ordered and installed the V&H FP3, downloaded and flashed the bike with the canned map. Presto, no more pop. Had the bike put on a dyno and the results were pretty good considering not a lot of money was spent. 76 HP with 95 ft/lbs of torque. That is good enough for me. I am happy with the performance of the bike so I don't see the need for an Auto Tune. Getting around 42 mpg.

Quick Reply: V&H FP3 Impressions