Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Getting the old Harley sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 04:21 AM
Niels83
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the old Harley sound

I have a 2014 FXSB Softail Breakout. Which is obviously an injection bike. The thing is though, that these injection bikes sound way to perfect. What I want, is how the carbureted Harley's sound like. Like every stroke of the piston could be its last, the endless stutter.

I've noticed that by using various maps with my TTS mastertuner, that this influences the sounds it makes. That got me thinking, maybe there's somebody out there that had the same desire as I have and is a bit more ICT tech savvy and made a tune that brings back the Harley stutter. I understand that this means less fuel efficiency and power, etc. But I do not care for horsepower and speed at all, so if a tune will make it less quick, so be it.

Is there anybody who has a 103CI V-twin tune available to bring back the stutter? Of does anybody know if a tuner can make such a tune? I already have a Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather kit and open pipes.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:54 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You simply cannot mimic that sound with a T.C. engine. They are not designed to sound like the old bikes. I know guys that tried to lower their idle rpms to sound like it and wound up with charging issues. Maybe the more technical savvy can chime in, but I believe it has to do with the twin cams.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Niels83
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I think it's a cam-shaft thing, that produces that slow irregular sound in combination with the carburetor. But if anybody has a solution, I'd like to hear it.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:31 AM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a Shovelhead and make sure it has the points ignition.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:42 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by oldwarrior
Buy a Shovelhead and make sure it has the points ignition.

It's NOT a cam and carb thing... at least something you could change into. Twin cam engines have their own sound.

So, if you miss the old days with piece of crap bikes, and how they sound, you need to go buy one of those bikes. I will take the reliability of my Twin Cam anyday.

Buy a 120r or an S&S 124, install some TMan 662s and run true duals... now that? Sounds bad ***.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-04-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Closest I have heard the twin cam sound like the old barleys is when a fella put the 204 cam into his bike.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:32 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardstick
Closest I have heard the twin cam sound like the old barleys is when a fella put the 204 cam into his bike.
+1 on the 204 cams

Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I love the sound of my Evo and have been trying to replicate it on my twin cam as well.

I've been thinking of trying this device. Last weekend my TPS sensor went bad and while diagnosing it I noticed I could get a nice sound idling the bike down by partially covering the IAC port with my finger.

I haven't tried this but seeing how the IAC is just a plunger controlled by the computer I see how this could work. And it's easy to install.

http://www.american-motors-usa.com/e...on=ViewProduct

Here is the sound I'd like to replicate.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A bit pricey for what is is.

Aside from that, and perhaps just urban legend but I doubt it is, that the twin cam needs a higher idle for oiling consideration. I have heard many times that a lower than 750-800 idle can cause the problem. My PCV says mine idles around 985-1015 rpm and I think a cammed 850-900 idle would seem more Harley-like. I think I will wait for reports if there is a mechanical/electrical downside and (being a tightwad) for the price to come down...way down. Another thought....wouldn't it make decel popping even harder to overcome? I used a vendor map for my V&H 2 into 1 and richened the zero and 2% above idle to make mine go away. it would not be an acceptable trade if it popped.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,239 Likes on 8,378 Posts

Also, slowing down the idle by that means would seem to me to tend to cause compensator problems and early bearing failure, coupled with lack of lubrication and no charging rate of the battery.

Quick Reply: Getting the old Harley sound