Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Jumping into TTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:00 PM
ihatecats78
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
ihate cats, I think there is still a non commercial version of My Tune. And yes, I, myself, use MY Tune with a Twin Scan.

To the OP, I myself went to Herko's shop in Indiana before I got involved in this tuning stuff. That was a trip down with a bike on a trailer, drive home. Fly back on my buddies plane and rode it home.

For quality tunes? There are not that many folks I feel are truly decent at tuning. There are so many dyno operators out there, that finding an actual tuner is hard.

If it were me? I would go see Bob and get a tune. a motel would simply be part of the cost. If you wish to try a TMax or use the TTS and buy a Twin Scan, we, here on HDF, will help you out, OK?
Hey Truk,

I checked it out. There is a non-commercial version of MyTune for 29.99, but it requires a bike with O2 sensors. To use the twin scan, you have to spring for the 199.00 version.

Probably not the course of action for the novice DIY tuner, but I've had some success with the TTS and Vtune. I feel like the biggest limitation of Vtuning is the stock O2 sensors. Mine don't gather accurate information at lower RPMs, and as a result, my Vtunes, no matter how thorough, are not always accurate in those areas.

The idea of having wide band O2 sensors placed optimally is very appealing to me because I feel like I could get a 90% solution with them.

Again, I still feel like a professional tune is much better. Like you said, however, good tuners are hard to find, and you have to really know a lot about tuning just to weed out the good from the bad. But maybe not as much fun for a guy like me.

This post is only my opinion as a novice and in no way should it be considered with the same weight as Truks, Stroker's, hrdtail78's, or about 100 other guys on here who really know what they're talking about.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 AM
sjbodie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So just to finish up....

Although I wanted to get my feet wet on DIY tuning with the TTS, I felt like the learning curve was a bit steep. I did learn a lot about the process, by reading up on the TTS tuning. So I have a better understanding. Thanks to all for the input here!

I took the advice and phoned up Bob at RC Cycles. I made a appointment and headed up to see him. I got sit in on the whole process. Bobs a knowledgeable guy and he explained what he was looking for, and I felt like I had a good understanding because of the research that I had done.

One thing I did notice, was the Bob uses tail pipe sniffers as opposed to head pipe sensors to gather test results. Bob said he found, no difference when tuning side by side with these two methods. That is to say that the sniffers are inserted as far inside the exhaust as possible, and yield the same data results. Therefore there was no need to remove the exhaust, drill head pipes, and weld in bungs to the head pipes. My exhaust has had that done previously, so that didn't effect the cost for me. Also I don't know enough about this to comment. Just an observation.

I took the bike for a test spin after the tune. Gotta say, Bob know what he's doing! I got a great tune! Crisp throttle response and I feel like Im getting everything out of those 21 cams. Now the bike runs like it should! Happy that I got what I wanted. Makes the work installing the cams worth it!

Thanks for the Advice!

Old 04-18-2014, 03:04 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

When one can... tail pipe sniffers are as good as tuning 'blocks'. The issue will be the muffler/ pipe. Most cans will have some kind of baffle inside and/ or be impossible to hit both cylinders without drilling thru the mufflers for the sniffer to work.

I won't drill anyones muffler. I will drill the head pipe up near the AC and then install riv nuts and tune that way. When done, put bolts in the riv nuts and re install the exhaust covers/shields. NEVER see the riv nuts when done correctly. No bungs needed.

I'm glad that you are happy!!!!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-18-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:47 PM
Jae30001
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is a very old thread.. but figured if someone's searching maybe this info may help..

There is also a 3rd option...

Convert your bike to a delphi system with o2s.

I have recently done this, and absolutely love it..

Basically, running a wiring harness, ECU, throttlebody/injectors, fuel pump, intake... from a 2005+
sesrch for the conversion. As there is a little more to it.

And you can then get Mastertune TTS.. and rune vtunes..

And your bike will have o2s and run top notch..

Good luck