Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2014 Dyna sb v&h stshot decel poping tuner warr?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 PM
jjtroutbum
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Dyna sb v&h stshot decel poping tuner warr?

New bike with slip ons poping pretty good after couple hundred miles still. Any suggestions on tuners I could get my dealer to maybe sell me that would selflearn well and keep me out of the dynos pocket while staying warranted if bought inside my sixty day window discount and supposed warrenty coverage for new stuff.

Like the stock round ac cover and performance dont even care about the popping just seem to be reading this is bad and could cause damage or could in the very least be leaving alot of performance unfound. Grumbble pop pop grumble not pow bang pow pow if you will.

I know I need to pull plugs and take a look ill hopefully do this tomarrow.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:06 PM
73shovel rider
Intermediate

lean misfire on decell ---from the free flowing mufflers-probably woen't hurt it --tuning it will take care of it if bothersome---needs fuel at 0 throttle position from rpm when poping starts down on map!reflash ecm and or dyno it . trying to read the plugs with todays fuels is a waste of time for this problem

Old 04-13-2014, 06:34 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shovel rider
lean misfire on decell ---from the free flowing mufflers-probably woen't hurt it --tuning it will take care of it if bothersome---needs fuel at 0 throttle position from rpm when poping starts down on map!reflash ecm and or dyno it...
Sorry, this is not correct on several points....

(1) Assuming no air leaks, decel pop is often the result in a significant change in back pressure (notice the OP stated he changed to free flowing mufflers and now has popping).

(2) Decel pop can be the result of too much or too little fuel.

(3) Decel pop can occur at just about any RPM/kPa value. One needs to determine where in the map the decel pop is taking place before intelligent adjustments are made.

(4) It is possible that not all decel popping can be eliminated with just a change in fuel due to back pressure issues.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:29 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I just put some free flowing mufflers on my bike and sure enough I had massive amounts of decel popping so I richened up the lower Kpa range and now the pop is gone.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 PM
jjtroutbum
Tourer

Thanks for the responses Anyone have an opinion on the tuners that the dealer may support on warranty. I am interested in the latest v&h offering gonna have to getinto that with the dealer I assume.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Strive4More
Intermediate

I would recommend a powervision from fuel moto. It won't be covered by a factory warranty but you can always load you factory tune in the dealership parking lot if it needs service. The Autotune on the PV is an awesome feature and seems like it would do what you're asking.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:42 AM
73shovel rider
Intermediate

justdave13 must be wrong on many points also but it fixed this problem !as I have many times with this issue . sometimes its an easy fix.good luck