Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:42 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions Please

I am about to buy a tuner fro my StreetGlide. A very well respected builder / mechanic in my area recommends the Screamin Eagle super tuner pro. When I asked why, he said that because I spend some time on the road he thinks its the best choice because any Harley shop and most indys are familiar with the unit. He acknowledged that there are many tuners out there but he thinks there are more mechanics familiar with this unit than others and the odds of finding help if needed are better.

Thoughts?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:01 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Why would anyone be messing with your tune after it is done? Why would another shop or dealer need at things? I'm not talking about things a dealer look at for maintenance, either, tuning files are totally different.

That is ridiculous

Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer

I'm not sure, I know nothing about tuners. It occurs to me that if something were to happen on the road, the more known your components are the better chance you have of finding someone who knows how to help you?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

If u run a SEPST as I do, it wont help on the side of the road unless u carry ur laptop VCI and leads everywhere u go. Im still learning but I think its fairly user friendly, however not the most popular tuner out there

Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KDUBYA
I'm not sure, I know nothing about tuners. It occurs to me that if something were to happen on the road, the more known your components are the better chance you have of finding someone who knows how to help you?
That sounds 'right', and I know what you mean, too. But, there really isn't anything a dealer, or anybody else for that matter, would need into the section of the ECM that has to do with anything tune related. Once matched to the bike, a tune adjusts how much fuel or timing is applied. These things never change, just like if you never had the bike tuned at all. A 100% stock bike doesn't have a SEPST come with it in the saddle bag, right? Dealer can do whatever they wish to a 100% stock bike with their tools on hand, like the Digital Technician.

The Digital Technician can do whatever it does with or without a SEPST. And... if a Digital Technician cannot fix it? They swap parts. STILL will not need a SEPST to have a Harley bike fixed at a dealer.

Now, THAT was the point in this, to let folks know they do not have to use a SEPST as a tuner. One can use a TTS, a Direct Link, or a PV tune, just as well. Dealer can still use their digital technician.... with some effort, for some.

If a dealer ever said they need to add some fuel at 2500 rpms and 50 MAP, I would fall over dead. It's not something that happens.

So, for you? And piece of mind? Sure... run a SEPST. Nothing wrong with it, about same as anything. And, I was NOT arguing against it, either. I was arguing a point that your mechanic mispoke, and for you to know the real deal. There can be a plus with the SEPST, in that YOU have piece of mind while riding. That stuff counts.

If you have a decent dyno shop you will be going to? The best bet is to ask them what it is that THEY like to use, not any of us!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-15-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:18 AM
KDUBYA
Tourer

I didn't think you were arguing against it. I like the way you think and understand your point. I am looking to make some changes to my bike without giving up any reliability. Sometimes that's hard to do with limited knowledge. I don't need to buy the Harley tuner. I was only considering it based on what I was told. There are many tuners out there, and most are less expensive, which leaves me with another question. Is the Harley tuner more expensive because its Harley? What does this tuner do that others don't?

Old 04-20-2014, 02:38 PM
jmr1971
Tourer

I'm not an expert -- have a Thundermax in my highly modified '04 Heritage myself -- but I think the tuner you choose probably depends on how much you plan to do with your motor. If all you want to do is pipes & intake, something like a power commander, v&h fuelpak, or the SE product you've been recommended will probably do just fine. I agree with the notion that if you go with something that's prevalent at the HD dealerships, your opportunity for tech support is probably a lot greater.

If you think later on you may decide to do more upgrades to the bike such as cams, stroke/bore kits, heads, etc., then you probably need to consider closed loop applications that can be programmed for the upgrades to properly manage the air/fuel mixture. THat's why I went with T-max on my Heritage. On my '11 FLHTK, I don't plan to do anything more than pipes & intake, so I'm looking at the V&H fuelpak for that one.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Razorback Rider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmr1971
I'm not an expert -- have a Thundermax in my highly modified '04 Heritage myself -- but I think the tuner you choose probably depends on how much you plan to do with your motor. If all you want to do is pipes & intake, something like a power commander, v&h fuelpak, or the SE product you've been recommended will probably do just fine. I agree with the notion that if you go with something that's prevalent at the HD dealerships, your opportunity for tech support is probably a lot greater.

If you think later on you may decide to do more upgrades to the bike such as cams, stroke/bore kits, heads, etc., then you probably need to consider closed loop applications that can be programmed for the upgrades to properly manage the air/fuel mixture. THat's why I went with T-max on my Heritage. On my '11 FLHTK, I don't plan to do anything more than pipes & intake, so I'm looking at the V&H fuelpak for that one.
As jmr said, if your just gonna do the exhaust, air filter, you probably don't need a extravagant Tuner. That being said, If your a gadget guy like me, and you wanna do some tweeking later. Im gonna plug a PV2. Im new to it, infact just got it installed today and flashed a map that Fuel Moto preloaded on it with one that would be with the Exhaust system and Air filter I put on it. Super easy to use, I actually Flashed the map, Test rode and wow what a difference from stock, but then I reflashed it again changing the Air fuel perimeters (which I will post a new thread because I have a Question). Didn't think it run quite as good as the first flash. So I reflashed it again with the same perimeters as the first flash and it was back running Damn good. Anyway my point is like everyone else says. It all is in what you think you may alter on the bike and how much $$, you wanna spend.