Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Do I need an ECM Re-flash

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:43 PM
kballowe
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Do I need an ECM Re-flash

2013 Road King. Mild slip-on mufflers and a stage 1 air filter. Cobra PowerPro CVT fuel manager. No other changes.

Is there any reason that I would need to have the dealer reflash the ECM? What exactly does that do for it?

The local dealer says that I should get a stage 1 reflash, but couldn't tell me exactly why.

???

We ran an '05 to 100K+ and never had a reflash, or even a fuel management thingy.

But, they say that these newer bikes run very, very lean.

Just trying to err on the side of caution.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kballowe
2013 Road King. Mild slip-on mufflers and a stage 1 air filter. Cobra PowerPro CVT fuel manager. No other changes.

Is there any reason that I would need to have the dealer reflash the ECM? What exactly does that do for it?

The local dealer says that I should get a stage 1 reflash, but couldn't tell me exactly why.

???

We ran an '05 to 100K+ and never had a reflash, or even a fuel management thingy.

Don't know why you would need a dealer flash. The Cobra power Pro should take care of your Stage-1 changes. I'm not familiar with that particular device, but I looked it up and if their claims are valid, it should compensate for your changes.

The dealer Stage-1 download is 'supposed' to reprogram the ECU to allow for the Stage-1 changes, but several knowledgeable tuners on this forum (and others) state that effectively all it does is increase the rev. limit. It's listed as an EPA compliant 'tune'...so it would have to be pretty lean. I think you'd be better off avoiding this option.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 PM
kballowe
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Well it does run very well, for a mostly factory bike. No flat spots and no pops or even little crackles.

Doesn't ping on 89 octane......

Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

???

Do you HAVE to have it done? No. But a properly flashed ECM with a GOOD tuner will seem like a whole new bike. Good luck

Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

What the download would do that I'm pretty sure your cobra will not is raise the redline to 6200rpm up from 5500rpm. I would have gone with a power commander because it will change your timing and not just dump fuel.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:11 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

???

Since the reflash stopped making timing and fuel changes in 06, you do not need to have a flash done, since you already have a device to do fuel. A Stage 1 flash today? Does nothing but raise the RPM limit. It HAS to be that way, because of changes in EPA regs... any selling dealer simply cannot change a tune to take it out of EPA compliance... in other words... the Flash is totally worthless.

Your dealer is trying to sell you something you do not need.