Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuners - Obviously in over my head

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:39 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

direct cycle parts 395.00 shipped and dyno jet will set u right up talk with ken peters or roy hartman they make the programs for these units. and will give u a hands on learning experience how to use the power vision

Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 PM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta ask ya a couple things, are you doing the upgrade or having it done by someone else? Are you going to use the tuner or have someone else use it. If someone else is doing both use what they recommend, if you are going to tackle tuning yourself be prepared for a rather steep learning curve no matter which tuner you decide on. You have to know basically how to tune an engine to start out and what to look for in the data that you get from the tuner and how to change it. Just because someone tells you "Aw it's easy, just do this" it may be easy fo them but it can be a real can of worms for you. I have the SEPST and spent counless hours and hundreds of miles trying to get rid of pinging at 3000 rpms WOT, no matter how much I changed the other parameters the only thing that worked was to drop timing several degrees in a large number of cells surrounding 3000 rpms and 70 to 100 % throttle actually KPA. The SEPST does allow you to make recordings and analyze the data and a couple of ways to update the tune that's on the bike or create a new one. I'm not sure how the Power Vision handles this. The SEPST will require a computer right next to the bike to make changes and flash the bike. The Power Vision doesn't need the computer right there. If you would like to play around with the software and see if you think you can handle the job I believe the Power Vision software can be downloaded for free, it's called WinPV. It's a lot more user friendly than the HD software. I don't think you can get the HD stuff to work without actually having a SEPST or at least a serial number from one. I know I'll have to put on my nomex underwear for saying this but I think these two tuners are by far the better choice because they seem to be the most popular and will have the best support. If I had it to do over again I would likely go with the Power Vision. They are both right around 5 bills by the time you get everything you need. If you want to go the whole AUTOTUNE route the PV has an add on for a few hundred more bucks. One thing I can tell ya is the Andrews 57H is a great cam, I put mine in a couple of weeks ago and I'm currently going through the process of tuning it. Again I have the pinging at 3000 with any of the canned or tweaked maps. I ended up using the whole timing chart from my stage 1 build that finally cured the ping and plugging it into my new tune file. I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm not sure if your bike has compression releases or not but you might need them if your battery and starter aren't up to snuff. You might want to consider the S&S 551 EZ start cams. Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by KDUBYA
What am I trying to accomplish... more pull in the low to mid range. I don't deed to go faster than I can currently, I just want to get there quicker and it would be nice to have some passing power as well.

What problems am I having .. No real problems. just want more getty up go.

Whatever I do, I don't want to give up reliability.

Thanks for your help
First, I want to separate tuning programs from dyno's - a dyno is NOTHING more then a machine that's capable of measuring power and torque by way of some braking system. It's the actual program independent of the dyno machine that makes the adjustments to the ECM's tables for performance reasons.

All real tuning programs need to know many things to get started. Fortunately, there are "canned" maps that can be used. Each canned map is nothing more than a starting point. Many of the tables will need to be matched to the bike being tuned.

At the very least, the cam profile (IVO & IVC) and VE's need to be properly set before much else can happen...accurately anyway (assuming of course the correct engine displacement, injector size, and such are correct). If the program does not allow for adjustments to these two parameters, that program is, IMHO, not worth considering.

Once these values are properly set, other tables including timing, EGR, enleanment, enrichment, AFR, and a few others can be worked.

To collect data for adjusting the various tables, an interface is connected to the bike. Some interfaces connect directly to a computer and others can collect data on their own that's later downloaded to a computer for review and adjustment.

Once the data is collected, analyzed, and adjusted, the new data is loaded back into the bike's ECM through the same interface.

As far as reliability is concerned, it is my belief that if a bike (even a completely stock setup) has its tune as optimal as one can reasonably get, the reliability and longevity should be enhanced.

OK so far???

Old 04-23-2014, 10:44 AM
stevemucha1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would highly recommend Fuel Moto and the Power Vision. I have had several Harleys and have used the race tuner and the PV. With the race tuner and a dyno tune by the local Harley dealer, the bike still ran like crap, sputtering, decel pop, etc. After reading thousands of reviews and testmonials on FM in this forum with zero negative comments, I went with the FM PV with a canned map. The bike ran great and the support from FM is excellent. I have since had a 107 kit installed and a dyno tune done by Jamie and the bike is really strong now.

The PV is easy to use and FM will provide excellent support. Go that route.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:08 AM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 276 Posts

I second on calling Fuel Moto, they were great to work with for me.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:17 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by target64
no difference the power vision is the most advanced ecm flash tuner on the market at this time.
I think that whether the Power Vision is the most advanced flash tuner on the market at this time is a debatable issue. While I am not qualified to participate in that debate, I would like to know what makes the Power Vision a more advanced tuner than the TTS Mastertune.

I know the Power vision is popular with a local tuner in my area because he can buy "licenses" for his customers and tune their motors under the customer's licences and the customer doesn't have to buy the equiment. Saves the customer money and locks the customer in to the tuner for retuning but does not have anything to do with the technology of the system.

Maybe some of the tuners will weigh in? Lonewolf? Wurk Truk?

Old 04-23-2014, 12:23 PM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djl
I think that whether the Power Vision is the most advanced flash tuner on the market at this time is a debatable issue. While I am not qualified to participate in that debate, I would like to know what makes the Power Vision a more advanced tuner than the TTS Mastertune.

I know the Power vision is popular with a local tuner in my area because he can buy "licenses" for his customers and tune their motors under the customer's licences and the customer doesn't have to buy the equiment. Saves the customer money and locks the customer in to the tuner for retuning but does not have anything to do with the technology of the system.

Maybe some of the tuners will weigh in? Lonewolf? Wurk Truk?
That's interesting....trying to wrap my head around it...PV site says a tuner can only be used on 1 bike after the two are "married." Are you saying the local tuner is able to use one PV device on several customer bikes, or is he just keeping a stable of these PVs at his shop and charging the customer for marrying the device to their bike and then maybe subsequent service?

Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

just avoid all the tuning gadgets altogether and after all said and done with the upgrades have a reputable tuner dyno it? ...about $300 average.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by target64
no difference the power vision is the most advanced ecm flash tuner on the market at this time.
Sigh.. that is not necessarily true at all. My opinion says its like the third best. Arguably the TTS is the better tuner, because it can adjust AND match the signal from the Map sensor to the cam inside of the engine... PV cannot do that or many other things.

That being said... there actually is not any 'best' tuning device. What matters is the person doing a tune. It truly is all about knowing how to use the tool.

The recommendation always is this when going to a tuning shop.... ask the shop what device they like to use the best, and then buy that device.

One device per bike, and yes... shops will have a tuning device or two to sell to a customer. I always have a brand new TTS on hand for this, myself.

Those that use a PV 'license' to tune customer bikes with are doing those customers a HUGE dis service. As it stands... whatever PV device used to tune a bike with is the ONLY device that can alter the tune. Cannot go to a different shop with the license, and... cannot turn things back on that were turned off, even at a dealer. AND... you cannot even buy a new PV and undo those changes, even shooting a new 'map' into the bike, based upon the fact that a PV does not deal with the complete map. It is my belief that unless one has an MM bike, they should be expected to BUY a tuning device. Tuning licenses were meant as a convenience to folks that own multiple bikes, not to shops to save money on.

The ONLY time a 'tuning key' makes sense to me is when used with a Direct Link tuning system. Nothing beats DL for tuning MM bikes, nothing. Surely not PV or SEPST, and TTS is to be avoided also. And those keys? Any DL shop can take the key and change anything inside, as opposed to how the PV works. DL is a totally different kind of system, where the shop buys the tuning crap for well north of $1000 and then sells 'tunes' using the key fobs. One 'key' per bike

Moral of the story is to always buy your own tuning device and keep it with the bike.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-23-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
just avoid all the tuning gadgets altogether and after all said and done with the upgrades have a reputable tuner dyno it? ...about $300 average.
Isn't the dyno just a device that measures output/performance? I don't think it actually tunes anything, but I'm not an expert.

Quick Reply: Tuners - Obviously in over my head