Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuners - Obviously in over my head

Old 04-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by jmr1971
Isn't the dyno just a device that measures output/performance? I don't think it actually tunes anything, but I'm not an expert.

it doesn't measure it... it maximizes performance.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:45 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jmr1971
Isn't the dyno just a device that measures output/performance? I don't think it actually tunes anything, but I'm not an expert.
You are correct. A tuning device is also needed.

What a decent dyno does is have the ability to operate the bike through ALL riding conditions, while one is collecting data from the dyno itself or the tuning device. The ONLY dyno one wishes to use (and members need to be asking this question FIRST)... is the brake. Ask if the dyno has a brake.. No brake? Run Forest Run... that shop will NOT be able to 100% tune the bike.

The brake is actually called an Eddy Current Absorption unit. What this does is allow the dyno operator to mimic all conditions one will see on the road. like going up hills, etc. The brake is a load brake and applies a load to the bike. like in real life.

The key to tuning, first, will be what device is used to calibrate the bike itself... the tuner. Most popular are the TTS, the SEPST, and the PV. All capable tuners for the most part. These collect data and recommend changes that need to be entered into the ECM. This data is gathered by operating the bike in various loads and conditions.

Some will do this DIY and can go ride the bike around with a few techniques and gather information to enter into the ECM of the bike. Unless fully into this... this process can really be hit or miss kind of deal, but with some work, learning how things flow together, and... dedication, it can be done with decent results. If done quickly and not with a good understanding of how it all fits together, the results will be mediocre at best. That is why we have Lonewolf, me, Wiz, Nutz, Stalinjim, etc on the forums, to help.

But... dyno denotes other things too. The dyno itself is simply a tool. It allows the operator to adjust at a finer level than DIY, for one (it is ALL about Data, the better the data, the better the tune). With a dyno, one can collect data from the bike that is bascically impossible to gather on the streets. Most feel the areas that are hard to hit as areas one doesn't need to tune... mediocre tunes are the result. Also, a dyno will help gather data from 'transition' areas that are a bitch to get on the street. More importantly is this: a dyno shop will usually have the knowledge that a DIY type person will not have. When going to a shop, you are not only buying a tune from a shop, you are buying the experience to make a good tune from a shop. Also, you are buying a tune that has used things found in only tuning shops... like the ability to tune the very high and very low RPM ranges using sniffers, etc. A good tune derives from the Data, right? Well no tuning device sold today can properly collect all of the data for a 100% complete tune, unless more tools... tuning aids, are purchased. Good shops have these tools, and more.

And yes, as has been stated you are buying performance. But... that is not necessarily performance to make the bike run faster at the drag strip... it is every day performance to make the bike a dream to ride. A LOT of things that folks say... they all do that... disappear with a good tune for the bike at hand.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-23-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:51 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
just avoid all the tuning gadgets altogether and after all said and done with the upgrades have a reputable tuner dyno it? ...about $300 average.
Sorry but you have to have one of those "tuning gadgets" to dyno tune; kind of hard to do it without the "gadget".

Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

And... not all dyno shops are the same. It takes a bit of work to ferret out the good shops.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:22 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Look what you started, LOL. I find it very hard to believe, that most users of tuners have no issues with there's. Oh mine worked great from the start, I never had any issues with mine, I've installed several & no problems, best money I ever spent, my buddy suggested
using ABC Tuner & it was so easy to install & tune, I had problems with the with 3 of them but now the 4th one is working!!! I'm sure someone has had no issues with theirs, but there seems to be a lot of post on here stating something different. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 PM
rwb1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat as the OP....doing some mods and my head hurts when I think about tuner's...
I hear Powervision and tts etc....what about Thundermax?? Flashing a "close" canned map is great I'm sure but what about having your tuner adjust the bike accordingly as you ride and actually learn your riding style and optimize the bikes performance, and be able to save that data and use it as your base map.

I am far from a tuning expert , I have always been a carb guy, but having bought a 2013 Roadglide a few months ago and reading about tuners till I could puke....I lean toward the T-max.
maybe I'm wrong....please school me further.

Last edited by rwb1; 04-23-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by rwb1
...Flashing a "close" canned map is great I'm sure but what about having your tuner adjust the bike accordingly as you ride and actually learn your riding style and optimize the bikes performance, and be able to save that data and use it as your base map...
A canned/base map is simply a starting point. They are not meant to be used for continuous operation. The entire idea of tuning a bike is to get all the various tables set for optimal performance and riding behavior.

All the full-featured programming systems allow the end user to access the ECM and make those adjustments according to their needs/wants.

You may notice that ThunderMax is not a popular option here. There are several reports of failures, the algorithms used may not meet the end users needs, and the cost is high.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:58 AM
rwb1
Tourer

All the full-featured programming systems allow the end user to access the ECM and make those adjustments according to their needs/wants.

You may notice that ThunderMax is not a popular option here. There are several reports of failures, the algorithms used may not meet the end users needs, and the cost is high.[/quote]

Does the Powervision allow you "tweak" the bike like the Thundermax..? When u add the Aut tune feature to the PV...the prices are comparable.

I think everyone has had a problem with their tuner, maybe more of a learning curve....I dont know

Old 04-24-2014, 11:08 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rwb1

You may notice that ThunderMax is not a popular option here. There are several reports of failures, the algorithms used may not meet the end users needs, and the cost is high.

Does the Powervision allow you "tweak" the bike like the Thundermax..? When u add the Aut tune feature to the PV...the prices are comparable.

I think everyone has had a problem with their tuner, maybe more of a learning curve....I dont know[/quote]

[/quote]

If you have a bike with O2 sensors, the PV will adjust the tune. It comes with autotune basic, and that is sufficient for most. It uses the feedback from the stock narrow band O2 sensors to adjust VE's. Its easy to use and most people are happy with the results.

The add-on autotune you are referring to is Auto Tune Pro. It uses wide band sensors, and can give you a very professional tune.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:17 PM
rwb1
Tourer

It does seem like the T-max has got a bad rep....but I think the overall feedback is good...Im a "once and done" kinda person...I want the right part the first time. thats my dilemma...Maybe the thundermax is overkill, hard to decide.

thanks for the input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuners - Obviously in over my head