Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Rates for a Dyno Tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:33 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Rates for a Dyno Tune

What is the going rate at your local tuner for a full dyno tune?

Old 04-23-2014, 12:45 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Around here in Ohio and also in St Louie... between $350-500. That price does NOT include the costs of a tuning device like a TTS, PV, or SEPST.

In St Loius? I would recommend C&S Speed shop in Alortin, IL for any tuning needs. Jason was trained by Doc and is now-a-days an excellent tuner.

Dealers and some shops may charge by the hour. Thats not good, IMHO. It takes me between 6-9 hours for a good tune and my rate is $400... that covers any and all it takes to do a complete tune without worrying about a clock on either side. Getting a 2 hour tune is NOT getting a tune.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-23-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:00 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Around here in Ohio and also in St Louie... between $350-500. That price does NOT include the costs of a tuning device like a TTS, PV, or SEPST.

In St Loius? I would recommend C&S Speed shop in Alortin, IL for any tuning needs. Jason was trained by Doc and is now-a-days an excellent tuner.

Dealers and some shops may charge by the hour. Thats not good, IMHO. It takes me between 6-9 hours for a good tune and my rate is $400... that covers any and all it takes to do a complete tune without worrying about a clock on either side. Getting a 2 hour tune is NOT getting a tune.
Cool. Thanks. That's who I'm using anyway based on your previous recommendation, I was just curious.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:58 PM
EdandGrace
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Please explain about what you get for 6-9 hours vs. 2. I recently had a SE stage 4 installed on my 13 SG. Tune was less than 2 hours. 105 HP and 108 T. Have Rush True Duals and had Big louie 2 in baffles. Way too loud with the stage 4 so I put S&S SPO's on replacing the Big Louies. Had it retuned and it was on the dyno for about 45 min. dyno showed 100 HP and 102 T. Now though runs well just seem to have lost something. Have enough invested that I would be happy to pay $400 to get the most. Also, now it seems to start hard when cold. It starts but not on the first crank. When hot starts just fine. Thinking I got a crappy tune? Suggestions? Know of a good tuner in Southeast Iowa.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:23 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

250-300. I paid more once $425, the guy took 12 hours, it was a crap tune. Just because a guy takes longer and charges more does not guarantee you good work.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:25 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
250-300. I paid more once $425, the guy took 12 hours, it was a crap tune. Just because a guy takes longer and charges more does not guarantee you good work.
No it does not. That is why I always recommend getting as much info before hand as possible.

But... a two hour tune speaks for itself. VEs, It takes over an hour to get the VEs, on a dyno, pretty damn close from 2k rpm to 4500rpm, right? So, what is left? Do you think they really fiddle with WOT fuel? Some will, and that will entail a 2-3 hour tune.

Now... you guys have used or at least looked at whatever tuner you have... are there more tables than simply VEs? Of course there are. All the various timing tables, crank to run tables, IAC tables, AE, DE, EGR, etc. It appears to me that maybe 70 or so % will work rather well with most of those tables as is. But... how does one really know without messing with the tables in question? This is especially true of timing and AE.

It was the Wiz, right here on HDF that make me aware of how AE can effect things and now I incorporate this in all tunes. I have, myself, taken over two hours playing around with AE and Throttle progressivity to make a bike stop stumbling coming off of a red light. How about WOT timing? That will take multiple pulls, and then one will have to repeat the fuel lines, because the VEs will get altered by the timing changes.

How about UNDER 2k rpms? Getting low VEs take some time and effort, but pays such a huge dividend at the end it is amazing, to me anyways. Gathering good data from 800 rpm to 2000 rpms takes quite a bit longer than normally getting the 2k and up RPMs.

Cold starting... there is NO real formula with that, that is all trial and error. How much fuel when cold, how many crank steps to the IAC when cold. Have to play with that a bit... and when it says cold.... it has to be cold. Room temp. How long does one have to run the fans to bring it back down, temp wise?

There IS some work with things if one wants a decent tune. It is THE reason a lot of shops want a bike for more than a days time.

NO ONE gets rich at flat rate tuning. Well, almost no one, anyways. I sure do not. Not someone that gives a crap. Dealers, etc... that is not giving a crap, it is a service that allows a dealer to sell a build, first and foremost.

Just think about it.....

Old 04-27-2014, 04:03 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

No it does not. That is why I always recommend getting as much info before hand as possible.

But... a two hour tune speaks for itself. VEs, It takes over an hour to get the VEs, on a dyno, pretty damn close from 2k rpm to 4500rpm, right? So, what is left? Do you think they really fiddle with WOT fuel? Some will, and that will entail a 2-3 hour tune.

Now... you guys have used or at least looked at whatever tuner you have... are there more tables than simply VEs? Of course there are. All the various timing tables, crank to run tables, IAC tables, AE, DE, EGR, etc. It appears to me that maybe 70 or so % will work rather well with most of those tables as is. But... how does one really know without messing with the tables in question? This is especially true of timing and AE.

It was the Wiz, right here on HDF that make me aware of how AE can effect things and now I incorporate this in all tunes. I have, myself, taken over two hours playing around with AE and Throttle progressivity to make a bike stop stumbling coming off of a red light. How about WOT timing? That will take multiple pulls, and then one will have to repeat the fuel lines, because the VEs will get altered by the timing changes.

How about UNDER 2k rpms? Getting low VEs take some time and effort, but pays such a huge dividend at the end it is amazing, to me anyways. Gathering good data from 800 rpm to 2000 rpms takes quite a bit longer than normally getting the 2k and up RPMs.

Cold starting... there is NO real formula with that, that is all trial and error. How much fuel when cold, how many crank steps to the IAC when cold. Have to play with that a bit... and when it says cold.... it has to be cold. Room temp. How long does one have to run the fans to bring it back down, temp wise?

There IS some work with things if one wants a decent tune. It is THE reason a lot of shops want a bike for more than a days time.

NO ONE gets rich at flat rate tuning. Well, almost no one, anyways. I sure do not. Not someone that gives a crap. Dealers, etc... that is not giving a crap, it is a service that allows a dealer to sell a build, first and foremost.

Just think about it.....
I understand, well most of that, LOL. The guy that did my bike most recently quoted me $300 for tunes with SEPST and $275 for TTS. I have a Sepst, so he told me $300. When I picked it up he had a bill for $250 on the counter. Told me it went quicker than expected. Also picked up 10hp and 10tq over the $425 dollar 4 gas tuner guy. Also told me if anything was not perfect on the ride home(30+ miles)to bring it back to be retuned at no charge. He is a Roland trained guy. I was and still remain pretty happy with his work.

Last edited by qtrracer; 04-27-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: wrong dollar figure
Old 04-27-2014, 05:32 PM
60wt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dyno tune

had mine done at harley dealer in Sacramento area, $384.00….took approx 4 hours, don't know how long ACTUAL dyno time …have TTS ….got USB copy of tune, no timing adjust, to me it look like the basic map and VE's set to afr… returned with ping and they only dropped timing 3/4 degree across map, made no diff in ping, I finally figured that out my self …

Last edited by 60wt; 04-27-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: forgot some info