Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

82 ironhead starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:33 PM
walker350
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 ironhead starter problem

Just bought the bike, my first Harley, and its been running good until recently when i go to start it nothing happens at all sometimes ( no dim lights, clicking etc) and other times it starts just fines.
Could it be my kill switch? The starter? A relay? I search google and couldnt find a clear answer.

Any tips and help is greatly appreciated thanks!

Old 04-23-2014, 01:52 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by walker350
Just bought the bike, my first Harley, and its been running good until recently when i go to start it nothing happens at all sometimes ( no dim lights, clicking etc) and other times it starts just fines.
Could it be my kill switch? The starter? A relay? I search google and couldnt find a clear answer.

Any tips and help is greatly appreciated thanks!

It could be any of those things....but start by verifying that all the high current connections from battery+ to the starter and Battery- to ground are good and tight. Lots of intermittent starting problems come down to loose cables.

If all the cables check out, then it's time to start looking at the other areas.
-Starter relay
-Fuses
-Battery and charging system
-Ignition switch
-Kill switch
-Starter

Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 PM
walker350
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
It could be any of those things....but start by verifying that all the high current connections from battery+ to the starter and Battery- to ground are good and tight. Lots of intermittent starting problems come down to loose cables.

If all the cables check out, then it's time to start looking at the other areas.
-Starter relay
-Fuses
-Battery and charging system
-Ignition switch
-Kill switch
-Starter

I failed to mention my symptoms, rookie mistake! my first problem was when i went to hit the starter, nothing happened, not even the lights dimmed. I thought it was the battery so I bought a new one and the same problem.
Caught it in gear and it started fine with the electric start for a little. Then nothing and then eventually it sounded as if the starter was trying to engage but the bendix was slipping.