Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Eitms

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:21 AM
grasmo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eitms

I have noticed that Spark Adv. , while watching in realtime is retarding at the same time I hear the funky idle problems. If my bike is entering heat management mode, would it retard the spark to both cylinders??? the exact same amount??? Would it gradually reduce the spark as temp rises to the set point???? Could this event be adaptive spark Knock??? the spark adv moves from 23.0 down to 22.5......21.0....19.5 I have the spark adv. table indicating 23.0 as the idle .

Old 04-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess would be that it is due to your Spark Adjust by Head Temp table.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I don't think the EITMS adjust the spark. I do know that it shuts the spark off in the rear cylinder along with the fuel effectively turning it into an air pump. The EITMS also raises the IAC counts a few steps so you notice a difference with the idle.

From what I understand the EITMS is a two step process, at first it will richen the fuel mixture and eventually shut down the rear cylinder.
As far as spark adjust? I don't know, maybe I'll look for it on my next ride.

Last edited by JustDave13; 04-24-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:08 AM
grasmo
Advanced

Thanks for the replies.....I have watched very closely for data changes that occur when the bike has the erratic idle and the only thing I have noticed a change in is the timing drops a few degrees below what I have it set for on the spark tables.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:03 PM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

EITMS-Engine Idle Temperature Management System
The EITMS system was developed to reduce heat buildu
p during prolonged idling times and
controls heat buildup in two stages:

1.Mode 1–AFR Enrichment

2.Mode 2–Skip Fire / Rear Cylinder shutoff

Mode 1 will be activated under the following conditions:

1.The engine temperature exceeds142°C
(Sportsters 230°C)

2.The Engine RPM is less than 1200RPM

Mode 2 (Big Twins only) activates if Mode 1 is active AND
1.The engine temperature exceeds 155°C

2.The vehicle speed is less than 1-2 KPH
Note that Sportster temperatures are much higher due to the location of
the temperature sensor and only use EITMS Mode 1 (AFR enrichment).
Note that EITMS takes over AFR control when active and the user
AFR tables are ignored.

Skip Fire Mode IAC Offset Constant

When EITMS mode is activated, the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve is opened a bit further to reduce
stumbling when the vehicle begins moving again. Bigger builds may need to increase the number of steps in this constant to prevent stalling the bike when EITMS is active.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:35 PM
grasmo
Advanced

I appreciate the input, if I were to disable EITMS would that disable skip fire and should the skipfire have shown up on Data master??? Where??? If I am showing a Kpa of 43-46 at idle....could I change the AFR table in that area in relation to idle rpm and make the engine respond to that table or would I have to change the VE table??? I really feel like I could fatten up the idle a bit to bring the temps down.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:34 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grasmo
I appreciate the input, if I were to disable EITMS would that disable skip fire and should the skipfire have shown up on Data master??? Where??? If I am showing a Kpa of 43-46 at idle....could I change the AFR table in that area in relation to idle rpm and make the engine respond to that table or would I have to change the VE table??? I really feel like I could fatten up the idle a bit to bring the temps down.
If you disable it, the skip fire will stop. You can change the AFR in the idle area of the Air Fuel Ratio table in the PV. (I would think that the other tuners would be similar) I would try 13.6 or 13.2 at 750 - 1125 rpm in the 20 - 60 map areas. If it doesn't work, change it back. No need to change the VE as they should have already been set when doing your tune. I have tried this in the past but never really noticed a difference as I don't idle for any length of time. Honestly the only thing that made a difference for me was the FCS fans by Wardspartswerks. My EITMS never activates now.