Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help: How to Replace Fuel Check Valve 07 Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM
bryanjoh
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help: How to Replace Fuel Check Valve 07 Dyna

I'm hoping somebody can help me out here. I need to replace the fuel check valve on the bottom of the gas tank that connects to the quick disconnect fuel line on my 2007 street bob.

What I'm wondering is, because this check is only connected to the fuel pump itself, and not straight into the gas tank, do I need to take the tank off and drain all the fuel to replace this check valve? Or can I simply unscrew the valve from the bottom of the tank and catch any remaining fuel that leaks out of the pump and then screw in the new replacement valve?

Has anybody done this before and can share some wisdom?

Thanks

Old 05-06-2014, 08:30 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

you have to pull the console and disconnect the other end held on with a pinch clamp. be careful not to break the fitting off. you don't have to take the tank off but use a funnel to catch the escaping fuel, the tank will empty when you pull the fitting out. Mike

Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

You can just replace the o rings if it has a drip.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:19 PM
bryanjoh
4th Gear

I did look into first changing the O-ring, which would seem to be the logcial solution. The O-ring costs $4, great, but then you need to buy the $79 fuel tools harley check valve repair tool kit to replace the damn thing. So my options were essentially a $83 O-ring, or an $85 complete check valve replacement.... So here we are.

Thanks RMC. So are you saying that the tank will empty out of the top end of the check valve afterwards where I disconnect the pinch clamp?

Has anybody ever seen a youtube video tutorial for this kicking around anywhere?

Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Never done it but from what I understand, once you pull the o-rings, the guts fall out. Think then, you insert the o-rings and replace the spring and valve without any tool needed. You can improvise the puller tools. Do not see it now but someone was talking about doing it not too long ago. Sure the tool would help especially with tank on bike or you did it for a living but if you pull tank and turn it over, you should see o-rings.
https://www.google.com/search?q=harl...%3B1200%3B1200

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-08-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:22 AM
CenTxAv
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you have fixed this yet or not..I just did this a couple days ago. just replaced the o'ring. it is a 14mm od x 10mm Id x 2mm. (at least on my 09 FXDB). just used an o'ring pick and a small flashlight laying flat underneath it so i could see up into it. Picked out the oring (careful not to bump the check valve. the oring will come out without the check valve coming out. if the oring crumbles be sure to get all of it out. put a little light grease onto new oring and install. Hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 PM
bryanjoh
4th Gear

Thanks all,

Update: after a lot of disagreement at the dealership on whether or not you can just replace the O-rings, they gave me a couple o rings, I got a small pick, picked out the old one, fumbled around poking the new one in, sprayed gas in my face a handful of times, and now we're all good.

You can absolutely do this fix for $5

The following users liked this post:
oldhippie (12-23-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 08:58 PM
papa1314
Stage III
The following users liked this post:
misfitJason (01-28-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:31 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bryanjoh
Thanks all,

Update: after a lot of disagreement at the dealership on whether or not you can just replace the O-rings, they gave me a couple o rings, I got a small pick, picked out the old one, fumbled around poking the new one in, sprayed gas in my face a handful of times, and now we're all good.

You can absolutely do this fix for $5
Sure you can. That fancy $70 tool is for the professional working for a living doing it.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OH god a $0.50 o-ring and lets spend $70 to install it I would bet that $70 that they have a lot of those installtion tools "IN-STOCK"

Quick Reply: Help: How to Replace Fuel Check Valve 07 Dyna