Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ThunderMax Alternatives??

Old 05-12-2014, 05:32 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Arrow ThunderMax Alternatives??

Couldn't seem to get much technical response on the Dyna page. I'm considering removing my ThunderMax module and reinstalling the Delphi ECM. In my experience, the bike has always run very hot with the TMax and there has never seemed to be a very good map, even for my basic setup.

I was referred to a local tuner by a couple people here in the Dallas area...I came to him with this inquiry and he advised that installing ThunderMax is essentially going backwards on a setup that was already ok. When you remove the Delphi ECM you lose Speed Density and Ion Sensing. TMax gives no utility to "free air" calibrate the AutoTune wide band sensors so when they drift, they all do, causing it to start tuning the bike incorrectly. Apparently, when AutoTuning if you don't merge the offsets with the base map, when the sensors start to drift the tune will be terrible. He said he's pulled 15 - 20 of these off over the years and gone back to the Delphi.

He suggested reinstalling the Delphi ECM with factory O2 sensors and getting it tuned. It's been a long time since I researched tuners....is an aftermarket add-on not required if I take it straight to a dyno with the Delphi installed, or is TTS, PC, or something similar still required?

Last edited by rockon; 05-12-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:56 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Was it ED telling you this? He is absolutely correct on each count you spelled out.

Delphi is a much better system. I would have ED tune it. One of the best tuners around. You will want a TTS, or whatever Ed wants. Yes, you need a tuning device, like TTS, PV, etc. to 'break into' the ECM and change its values.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:29 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Was it ED telling you this? He is absolutely correct on each count you spelled out.

Delphi is a much better system. I would have ED tune it. One of the best tuners around. You will want a TTS, or whatever Ed wants. Yes, you need a tuning device, like TTS, PV, etc. to 'break into' the ECM and change its values.
As a matter of fact it was Ed. He actually suggested Direct Link, which I'm hesitant to go for because I tend to move every few years and noticed that there are some states that don't have a single listed Direct Link tech.

If TMax is so screwed up regarding Speed Density ad Ion Sensing, then why aren't more people experiencing issues or griping about those shortcomings? Tmax really seems to work well for some folks, but I'm not convinced I have an optimal tune with it on my ride.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:01 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ed can tune with TTS, also.

Most folks own one bike. The only bike they know, is that one bike they are riding. Most do NOT know what a well tuned bike rides like at all. People assume their bike is 'ok', because what are they comparing it to? See?

Those of us that see multiple bikes every year get a way better feel for whats actually happening, and so do the owners when they leave a shop like Ed's. WOW is usually the reaction, because they simply did not KNOW what to expect, what can/could be done, etc. So they ride on ignorant of things and think its all good until they get a GOOD tune, and then it all changes.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:50 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Ed can tune with TTS, also.

Most folks own one bike. The only bike they know, is that one bike they are riding. Most do NOT know what a well tuned bike rides like at all. People assume their bike is 'ok', because what are they comparing it to? See?

Those of us that see multiple bikes every year get a way better feel for whats actually happening, and so do the owners when they leave a shop like Ed's. WOW is usually the reaction, because they simply did not KNOW what to expect, what can/could be done, etc. So they ride on ignorant of things and think its all good until they get a GOOD tune, and then it all changes.
In a perfect world that would be fine. As it stands, getting my hands on a TTS and having him tune it would exceed $600. Not happening for a while on my budget.