Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Welp now it won’t start at all now...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:43 AM
cbrown6775
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welp now it won’t start at all now...

I have been hearing more and more grinding noise when I start my 2009 Harley Davidson FLHTC Electra Glide Ultra Classic. Then the other day it sounded like once in the while something in the starter was rubbing the flywheel while the bike was idling.

So I thought I’d pull the starter and inspect it in accordance with my "Clymer Repair Manual". I read the entire task in the manual, and everything seemed simple. I read and acknowledge that I needed to disconnect the battery before starting the task. Then I just begin removing the starter without disconnecting the battery. Total Brain fart on my part. It was at 10:30 this morning so I can’t even blame it on Bud-Light. I arced the wrench taking off the battery lead to the starter cover itself.

Welp now it won’t start at all now. The starter relay is clicking but nothing is happening at the starter. Pure silence…
I have now disconnected the battery and will be removing the starter for further inspection tonight.
Is there any particular area I should be looking at in the starter? Solenoid?
My Manual has some continuity checks I will try.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:00 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbrown6775
I have been hearing more and more grinding noise when I start my 2009 Harley Davidson FLHTC Electra Glide Ultra Classic. Then the other day it sounded like once in the while something in the starter was rubbing the flywheel while the bike was idling.

So I thought I’d pull the starter and inspect it in accordance with my "Clymer Repair Manual". I read the entire task in the manual, and everything seemed simple. I read and acknowledge that I needed to disconnect the battery before starting the task. Then I just begin removing the starter without disconnecting the battery. Total Brain fart on my part. It was at 10:30 this morning so I can’t even blame it on Bud-Light. I arced the wrench taking off the battery lead to the starter cover itself.

Welp now it won’t start at all now. The starter relay is clicking but nothing is happening at the starter. Pure silence…
I have now disconnected the battery and will be removing the starter for further inspection tonight.
Is there any particular area I should be looking at in the starter? Solenoid?
My Manual has some continuity checks I will try.
Thanks in advance.
Check the first simple thing - the fuses. Maybe you got lucky and just blew one.