Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike won't start using engine on and run on

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:47 AM
ronster2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start using engine on and run on

This seems a bit strange to me, but yesterday I stopped for fuel after about an hour ride. Weather was great and temps mild. After fueling, I went through my usual procedure to start my 2010 RG by turning switch on and pushing the start button. I never use the run/stop switch, so it was in the on position. As I attempt crank my bike the engine wouldn't fire up, but sound like it was out of time or flooded instead. As I released my start button, the engine popped with a backfire. I thought... what da hell? I tried again with the same results. I sat for a minute to collect my thoughts and I switched my "run/stop" button to off and then back on with the main ignition switch in the off position. I then tried to start the bike and it fired right up as it should.

This wasn't just a fluke, because it repeated this same problem three other times before I got home. The only fix was to toggle the run/stop switch. Oddly enough, when I killed the engine using the run/stop switch before turning off the main ignition switch the problem was gone. The engine started normally.

My thoughts are the run/stop switch resets some parameters in the engine's ECM that may be latched before the engine was killed.

I would like to know what is causing this problem for obvious reasons.

Thanks for any help!

Ronster

Old 05-19-2014, 03:22 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I can't answer your query directly, but have you checked to see if there are any error codes? Your owners manual tells you how to do that, there is also a Sticky in the header of this section that may help.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 AM
ronster2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that was one of the first things I checked when I got home. No errors, which did not surprise me. I never have problems that can readly resolved. Lol!
I think it has something to do with a variable setting in the ECM's registers parking in the running mode rather in the startup mode. I have the S.E. tuner software, so I'll look at it more closely when I find my cable. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2014, 09:46 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems like the stop / run button is intermittent.

Maybe just spray it with electrical contact cleaner being certain to get it inside where the connections are?

Perhaps a dis-assembly of the switch to check contacts for burns or corrosion, or even loose or stretch / broken wiring might be the next step.