Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Magnetti Morelli replacement options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:20 PM
PIGME3256
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
The kit is about $630. 550-0010 That is the VFI ECM and sensors for closed loop. It will work with the rest of the stuff that you already have. If the TB is old and sloped out. I would recommend the HPI units but MM TB's are not cheap. I have used them system a few times and I like it much more than the stock stuff.

I will add this. If you plan on doing this all yourself including the tuning. Have some patience. S&S tech is very good but there is one guy at S&S for this and he is busy.
Thank you,
I have been looking at the HPI and PerformaceFI replacement systems but this is my first venture into the EFI replacement realm... I understand electronics as I am retired electronics engineer...
Again thanx for the heads up...
Ride fast and safe....

Old 07-20-2016, 03:04 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

HPI makes a throttle body that converts MM injectors to Delphi FYI. Just like the Zippers kit but without the Thundermax. It works very well, I usually use them and then tune it with Direct Link

Old 07-20-2016, 03:25 PM
PIGME3256
3rd Gear
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
HPI makes a throttle body that converts MM injectors to Delphi FYI. Just like the Zippers kit but without the Thundermax. It works very well, I usually use them and then tune it with Direct Link
Thank you WOC, each response gives me more to ready and study for the project...

Old 08-15-2016, 03:22 PM
PIGME3256
3rd Gear
Default The more I read ugh the more my list grows

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
Now I am wondering if going to Dave Mackie 95" build with the S&S single throat EFI would be best, keeping reliability in it for my long trips but yet putting a little pep in its step.
I have the SE-211 cams
Upgraded oil pump cam tensioner
Adjustable push rods
V&H 2n1 pro pipe.....
Thoughts???
Bueller? Bueller??
This reminds me of my ham radios lol $$$$$$

Last edited by PIGME3256; 08-15-2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The S&S 52mm single bore is nice, that's what I run on my '01 as a replacement for the MM. It does require the S&S VFI or Harley 41000012A ECM, as the stepper motor direction is reversed on the S&S.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:19 PM
goldie
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Ill try to post my 99 RKC SE 95kit w/ S&S 510 gear drive. .30 Cosmetic head gaskets w/ stock 2008 "06" take off heads. Power Commander USB 3.....goldie

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
95kit Dino.pdf (189.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 02-28-2017, 11:39 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

I am a tuner. Unfortunately I no longer can justify recommending keeping the MM EFI system due to the rediculous costs associated with replacing the T/B, injectors?, ECM, and tuning, etc.
Just convert it to a carb (cv or mikuni) and fogetaboutit.
No downside to the carb conversion but a ton of potential downsides for keeping the MM system, especially if you don't have someone with all the experience necessary to get the configuration, assembly, and tuned correctly the first time.
Bob

Old 10-28-2019, 06:38 PM
Jerry Musser
Stage II

I thought about converting to carb as well. I have a stock 01 RKC EFI with 130,000 miles on it. Last week the Throttle Position Sensor went out and the only one I could find was on Ebay for $200. I couldn't find anything cheaper.

If I am looking to keep this bike long term, would you consider a carb?? I'm definitely not spending 200 bucks on a new TPS and then keeping the same system when I have had idle issues for years.

Not interested in breaking the bank or creating more power....just want to ride!

Would love to hear suggestions

Old 10-28-2019, 07:02 PM
Jerry Musser
Stage II

Found this:

Old 11-04-2019, 03:14 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by yzergod
I have a 2001 95" Screamin' Eagle with the dreaded Magnetti-Morelli fuel injection. The bike runs well but... I have this annoying hesitation more than likely cause by a rich mixture that causes the bike to stutter when it is on a load (hills, full throttle) at about 2800-3100 rpm. I could probably just live with it, but it is getting to the point where I have to take it to the stealer at the beginning of the season for an "adjustment" which as always a $250+ deal.

I've seen the Zipper's Thundermax kit that swaps out the entire EFI at a cost of about $2500. I have heard of an S&S kit that swaps the CPU but keep the EFI, adding O2 sensors. Horsepower Inc. has an upgraded throttle body but I can't find anybody who has ran one. Harley also offers their upgraded ECM that has the ability to download the maps from the S&S VFI module. Haven't heard anybody running this either. Supposedly though, you can make it a wide band O2 sensor upgrade.

Does anybody have any info on running any of these? Or, on any other fix? I just dyno'd (free Dyno day at my stealer this past weekend) and I'm sitting at approx. 86 tq & 95 hp on the stock motor with a stage 1. I am hoping that I could push those numbers over 100 with an upgrade to my EFI. Is this a pipe dream?

Thx!
Cheapest option and easiest is probably to do a carb conversion.

The following users liked this post:
Lakerat (11-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Magnetti Morelli replacement options?