Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

VTune after cam install

Old 06-15-2014, 10:47 PM
12, Bob Street
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTune after cam install

Hello to all! I've been reading through the TTS thread, and doing a lot of research on the VTune software, but I am still left with one question not plainly answered: Suppose I install 585 cams. Can I safely run the bike through the VTune process long enough to get a safe tune from it?

I haven't purchased the cams or the TTS software yet; I'm just trying to acquire sufficient knowledge to make an informed decision.

Thank you!

Sam

Old 06-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 12, Bob Street
...I'm just trying to acquire sufficient knowledge to make an informed decision...
Generally, one loads a map* that closely matches the setup, runs the cam data program (only takes a few minutes), then begins v-tune.

* after saving a copy (or two in different places - ie a thumb drive) of your factory calibration before anything else.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:00 AM
12, Bob Street
Advanced

Cool, thanks, Pine! I've seen talk all the time about guys with the SERT loading up canned maps for SE parts. I've just never heard about TTS offering any.

Much appreciated.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:54 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

To answer your question... yes you can.

One needs to compare the cams offered as base tunes in TTS, to whatever aftermarket cam you will be using. For ease of use, I always go to the Big Boyz head porting site and use their Twin Cam Cam Comparator tools. http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/tccams.htm

For example... you have a 2012 dyna. You will be using 358 calibrations. Looking at 358 calibrations... you will see that there is only two cam choices above stock. As always, with TTS, you chose the closest cam available to the installed cam. In this case that would be the Andrews37s. You calibration would be DAC358-01.

Once installed, a new calibration will increase fuel and timing in a general sense, and that makes it safe to V-Tune the bike. V-Tuning will dial the VEs in to match YOUR bike... a custom tune done to match your bike is always the best bet going.

On a personal note... I recommend TTS over the other tuners. That is just IMHO.

Any other questions? Come back. Pine Tree, myself, Nutz, or Wiz can usually answer any TTS question you may have. The more you try to learn ahead of time, the better results and ease of use you will have when the time finally comes to try your hand at tuning.

Also, don't limit yourself to just TTS while learning... ask questions about the SEPST or the PV. Lots of folks here to answer those questions for you, too.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-16-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 12, Bob Street
Cool, thanks, Pine! I've seen talk all the time about guys with the SERT loading up canned maps for SE parts. I've just never heard about TTS offering any.

Much appreciated.
No worries...once you go through the process a couple times, all those little questions seem to magically answer themselves.

So enjoy the first few "oh, now I get it" moments!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:42 PM
12, Bob Street
Advanced

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Any other questions? Come back. Pine Tree, myself, Nutz, or Wiz can usually answer any TTS question you may have. The more you try to learn ahead of time, the better results and ease of use you will have when the time finally comes to try your hand at tuning.

Also, don't limit yourself to just TTS while learning... ask questions about the SEPST or the PV. Lots of folks here to answer those questions for you, too.
Thanks, man! It's kinda hard learning all this stuff when even though you ride with several guys, you're the only one you know who's into tearing open late model Harley's. I've spent a lot of time trolling these forums, and when the cash comes, I've got my build all planned out, and I'm thoroughly sold on the TTS. I just read Wizard's TTS guide at work earlier this morning. You all provide some solid information here. Just one part at a time.

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
No worries...once you go through the process a couple times, all those little questions seem to magically answer themselves.

So enjoy the first few "oh, now I get it" moments!
Been there more times than I can count! I started out souping up cars, in my late teens and early 20s (engine swaps, gear changes, heads/cam/intake, suspension and tranny mods, you name it), so I've got a good knowledge of engine dynamics, it's just that tearing into something this new and expensive, and then TUNING IT MYSELF...well...I've got to be 100% prepared. It's not like I'm throwing on a vacuum gauge and a timing light.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 PM
grasmo
Advanced

I put 585's in my 07 dyna 110......The harley shop almost destroyed my bike with their silly equipment....out of calibration ......had the audacity to brag about how good my bike was running....plugs were silver.....TTS has helped me get it pretty dam close to perfect....my Cal has an ECM constants where you can make changes to the intake valve opening when i first put the cams in....I was disappointed because my bike became so weak off idle ....it had to be revved up to feather the clutch , just to leave a stoplight....with TTS I have dam near as much torque as before, to where I can just ease out the clutch at idle.....They will completely change your bike and your riding style......They absolutely rip from 3200-6500......Getting them tuned properly is tricky but TTS can do it.....

Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 AM
12, Bob Street
Advanced

Nice! Thanks for the input, grasmo.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:09 PM
12, Bob Street
Advanced

I've been doing a lot of research on the inherent problems with the Twin Cams, and I've decided on getting the crank trued, balanced, and welded, Timken crank bearings installed and pinned to keep it in place, and going with gear-driven cams to eliminate the chance of the cam followers grenading the motor. There seems to be a ton of people saying that even if you don't ride hard on these motors, they are likely to have premature catastrophic failures due to major design flaws... Oh well. Better to over build than under!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Yes you are correct... the bottom end sucks for the money we pay for our beloved HD's. But I would like to recommend something.

Put the cams in first. Tune the bike and ride it for a while. Your cams won't rip out anything depending on how you ride. Now, if it's on the back wheel doing 6000 RPM's with your hair on fire all the time... rethink my strategy.

Then, when the money comes, make the best selection on your bottom end builder and parts which may not be the most popular you troll about.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VTune after cam install