Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engine Shut Off Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:56 PM
PreacherIHMC
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Shut Off Issue

This may be a little long to explain. Please bear with me. I have 2002 FLSTC with a few modifications. Eighteen inch apes and Samson unbaffled straight pipes that were cut in half are the main ones.The bike has 45,000 miles. A few weeks ago, I was riding back from a 300 mile trip when the bike backfired really loud and then again after another 30 miles. It may be noted that it was around 100 degrees out when this happened. The next trip I took was only about 15 miles and the bike backfired and died. It started back up went about 2 miles and died again with no backfire. I changed the plugs(which were pretty ashy), installed a K&N air filter and tried again. Same issue. This time I pulled the plug wire, put a screwdriver in it and placed it against the head. No spark. I then replaced the coil with an Accel Super Coil and tried again. I made it 10 miles. The bike died again.I let it set about 30 minutes and it fired up. It went 5 miles and died again. It seems to just die when it gets hot. I can smell fuel when I'm trying to crank it after it dies. Any ideas?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:24 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Put the stock coil back on it. You will NOT see spark doing what you did. The ECM, using Ion sensing in the coil kills the spark in a no compression sensed mode... pulling the plugs will do that for sure. It is not 1974 anymore for sure.

Lets see... your bike is a Delphi equipped bike.

Check fuel pressure. Also, fill the tank full and see if it still does this (if not, then there is a hole in the hose inside of the tank.)

Next could be... check the wires going to the injectors. Do they feel tight? If so, pull the tank and cut back some of the loom to make the wiring to injectors looser.

Clean the IAC. I don't feel that would be it, but it IS always good practice to clean this first.

None of the above, then it's time to spend money. Is the bike tuned? What tuner was used? SERT or PC3? I ask, because it would be helpful to take a read on engine temps from the sensor.

Replace engine temp sensor. Still do it? Replace the crank sensor. Still do it? Repace the MAP sensor.

Oh... does the bike totally die off? No start and no lights when it does this? Replace the main circuit breaker with a fused main instead.

AFter that? WIthout it being in front of me? I gave you things I have seen that involve heat issues.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-16-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:17 PM
PreacherIHMC
Stage IV

I just realized where I posted this. How much of this changes when I tell you it's carbureted?

Old 06-16-2014, 02:22 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Replace engine temp sensor. Still do it? Replace the crank sensor.

Oh... does the bike totally die off? No start and no lights when it does this? Replace the main circuit breaker with a fused main instead.

With a carb, it still will have ignition related stuff. No pressure stuff in the tank, either. But... you may wish to check the vacuum thingy on the fuel shut off... make sure it is getting fuel.

I'm not nearly as well versed in 2002 carb bikes, for sure!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-16-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:24 PM
PreacherIHMC
Stage IV

No, it still cranks, just doesn't seem to get any spark. I pulled the air cleaner cover off and can see it getting fuel. Lights and all still work. I'll check into the sensors. Thanks for your repsonses.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:26 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmmmmmm... I really don't have a clue, then. Two coils would tend to eliminate that as an issue.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree with truk on the crank position sensor

Are you getting any codes being thrown?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 PM
PreacherIHMC
Stage IV

Haven't ran codes and there's no shop within 100 miles. I have a crank sensor coming. I'll let y'all know if it fixes the issue.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by PreacherIHMC
Haven't ran codes and there's no shop within 100 miles. I have a crank sensor coming. I'll let y'all know if it fixes the issue.
you should check your codes before you go off changing parts IMO.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:45 PM
francisac
Intermediate

did new crank sensor fix this cause i have same issue

Quick Reply: Engine Shut Off Issue