Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

98' Evo Fuel Injection problem...throttle stuck wide open.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:47 AM
BMOTOXSTAR
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the part is in & she has been rode 35 miles with no issues. I rode in the afternoon in 110 heat then at night cooled off just to see.

She idles better and just seems to run better. Something how a sensor like that will make such difference.

I thank all you for the help. I am just worried that the issues is gonna' creep up again. I hope this fixed it. I will post back in a few hundred miles.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Man that is good! Even with the leaking fuel lines I could hear the difference when I fired mine up. New lines couldn't get here fast enough! I too wonder how old the sensor was that I replaced. Mine is a '96 so if that was original and lasted 18 years I am good with those odds. Ride Safe.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:44 PM
BMOTOXSTAR
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah man. None of the dealers here will work on an EVO so I am on my own & I am a retard so that makes it worse, a broke retard that owes on this bike still.

So yes, I did 150 miles in the 110 temps in the desert yesterday. She actually ran cooler than before (200 oil temp) I replaced the part.

No over revving & ran better. What a difference a sensor on these can make.

Just wondering if I should switch to carb at tax time?

Originally Posted by Crashone
Man that is good! Even with the leaking fuel lines I could hear the difference when I fired mine up. New lines couldn't get here fast enough! I too wonder how old the sensor was that I replaced. Mine is a '96 so if that was original and lasted 18 years I am good with those odds. Ride Safe.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:24 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Glad you got her fixed. I figured that it was either the ETS or IAC. I hate throwing parts at a problem. That is why I had you check the easy stuff first. Many have switch to carb. It's about $600 and there is a complete list, as well asa step by step I believe somewhere on this site.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

I bought a bastard year scooter with the non tuning ECM. I did not realize it when I bought it. That being said I wanted a EFI bike so I wouldn't have to tinker with the carbs. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
I've read about upgrades to this system with programmable ECM and new injector system etc. so that might be an option when this one fails completely on me.
Also a bunch of the parts for the '96 EFI will be obsolete and gone from Harley inventory before long.
So what the hell, I bought it, I got it and now I have to ride it and deal with it when it fails.
Any experience someone could talk about with EFI system upgrades would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.