Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Tuning Process w/ Stock O2 Sensors

Old 07-13-2015, 08:13 PM
kranky
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like most, I don't have the time or the inclination to learn all that is necessary to fully implement PV. If you don't use it all the time, you are going to lose it. It is quite complicated for the novice. This is coming from someone who passed the MENSA test with two minutes to spare and answered all the questions so i ain't exactly stupid. Had some decel popping under high load with V & H true duals. Loaded the recommended tune. Applied learned tuning info. Used the recommended fixes for decel popping, enleanment ?? Not much help. Was not comfortable with messing with the timing. So I just added fuel at zero TP in the load ranges where it was popping and put the fire out. No more popping. It makes an odd noise that I cannot put to words. It's not gurgling. Kind of a slush sound. Probably wasting fuel, but I ride very low miles so no biggie. The old timers probably just goosed the throttle a tiny bit at critical mass to accomplish the same. Brakes easily make up for this. Hearing any downside to this approach would be appreciated, as would any tweeks that could be done without relearning all the software. Thanks. Kranky in Ky.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:23 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

I just want to say thanks for the thread. Just installed my tuner today and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've done a lot of EEC tuning on my Ford, but it was 7-8 years ago. Trying to learn all of the methods and software and log fields required all over again. I started on page one in the big thread and read as much as I could. I think I got to mid-2012, before I glazed over. I jumped to the end and couldn't connect the dots. This thread was just what I need to get me started. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.

Last edited by FNGonaRK; 07-23-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:28 AM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand this auto tuning with narrow band o2 sensor setup. Isn't a narrow band o2 only capable of tuning at 14.7? If that's the case wouldn't you want to tune your closed loop or cruise conditions a little bit richer than that? Seems like tuning your cruise areas that lean isn't any better than the factory tune. Please correct me if my understand is wrong.

-Chris

Old 07-23-2015, 06:48 AM
kranky
Advanced

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
I just want to say thanks for the thread. Just installed my tuner today and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've done a lot of EEC tuning on my Ford, but it was 7-8 years ago. Trying to learn all of the methods and software and log fields required all over again. I started on page on in the big thread and read as much as I could. I think I got to mid-2012, before I glazed over. I jumped to the end and couldn't connect the dots. This thread was just what I need to get me started. I'm sure I'll more questions along the way.
Daunting task trying to go thru the original thread. Further complicated by subtle changes in the programming. There was a terrific how to write-up along the way. I was paying close attention in the summers of 2013 and 2014, so you may want to try searching by date. Again, what has been changed by updates to pv in the interim may cause a problem with that write-up.....idk.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead.Chris
I don't understand this auto tuning with narrow band o2 sensor setup. Isn't a narrow band o2 only capable of tuning at 14.7? If that's the case wouldn't you want to tune your closed loop or cruise conditions a little bit richer than that? Seems like tuning your cruise areas that lean isn't any better than the factory tune. Please correct me if my understand is wrong.

-Chris
All auto tune is doing is dialing in the VE tables. Those tell the ecm how well the engine is breathing so it can adjust the fuel and air to run correctly. During auto tune the afr is set to Stoichiometeric of 14.7.

Once you have completed your AT runs and have 5% or less value change in your VE tables, you can set your afr however you want to run it by changing the AFR tables with the WinPV software. Open loop, closed loop, or a combination of both which most of us run. The original map you downloaded or was provided by FM will probably be a combination of both. When you exit AT mode and you load the map you just finished tuning it reverts back to the map AFR table as it was written when you first loaded it. AT does not change your AFR tables except when in AT mode.

Unless you make some changes in the settings it will never change any tables other than the VE tables. I say that because you can change the settings to have your spark tables adjusted by AT as well, but it will only pull timing and never add. Using AT to adjust your timing is not advised.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:31 AM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer

Originally Posted by Watchfuliz
All auto tune is doing is dialing in the VE tables. Those tell the ecm how well the engine is breathing so it can adjust the fuel and air to run correctly. During auto tune the afr is set to Stoichiometeric of 14.7.

Once you have completed your AT runs and have 5% or less value change in your VE tables, you can set your afr however you want to run it by changing the AFR tables with the WinPV software. Open loop, closed loop, or a combination of both which most of us run. The original map you downloaded or was provided by FM will probably be a combination of both. When you exit AT mode and you load the map you just finished tuning it reverts back to the map AFR table as it was written when you first loaded it. AT does not change your AFR tables except when in AT mode.

Unless you make some changes in the settings it will never change any tables other than the VE tables. I say that because you can change the settings to have your spark tables adjusted by AT as well, but it will only pull timing and never add. Using AT to adjust your timing is not advised.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for tryin to explain it to me Watchfuliz!

I think I understand, So auto tuning is more or less making your VE table smooth correct? Once it's out of auto tune and lets say you change your AFR table, how is the computer able to reach any AFR other than 14.7 with narrow band O2 sensors?

-Chris

Old 07-28-2015, 07:49 AM
goats
Road Captain

I think I understand, So auto tuning is more or less making your VE table smooth correct? Once it's out of auto tune and lets say you change your AFR table, how is the computer able to reach any AFR other than 14.7 with narrow band O2 sensors?

-Chris

close, just to clarify your VE tables dont need to be smooth per say... just accurate.

in short, the computer will not be using the narrow band sensors to reach a different AFR. the computer will be making calculations using your VE tables (and other data) to achieve the desired AFR.

that is why it is so important to have an accurate VE table for your engine.

i hope that makes sense, if not let us know and we will find another way to explain it.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:40 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

-Chris
The 'computer' will use any AFR you set in your tables. The narrowband O2 sensors are only accurate in the 14.3-15.2 AFR range (closed Loop range).
When you set a value outside this range, you are running open loop (the computer can't make adjustments based on O2 sensor input).

Most maps end up being a combination of open loop and closed loop AFR values for best performance. This is true for both the Dynojet and Fuel Moto maps.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:36 AM
kranky
Advanced

Went for a ride and noticed a lot more popping than before. Hotter day, crappy gas.....idk. Never have found a DJ tune for V & H true duals, so I decided to experiment and loaded the DJ tune for Rinehart duals. Wow! Very little popping. Will do a compare tunes and report the differences........when I have more time.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer

Thanks Watchfuliz, Goats and Nhrider1. I think I understand now, I really appreciate you guys helpin me out.

-Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Vision Tuning Process w/ Stock O2 Sensors