Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stock ECM or stage 1 with V&H fuelpack

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Sagostino
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock ECM or stage 1 with V&H fuelpack

Curious if anyone has had the fuelpack on their bike with stock ecm settings then gone to the stage 1 download. My bike currently has the fuel pack on the stock ecm configuration wondering if there is any benefit getting stage 1 download then adjust the FP accordingly. In my mind it wouldn't make a difference because the FP is over riding all the perameters anyways. Any input??

Last edited by Sagostino; 07-07-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:55 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Sagostino
...In my mind it wouldn't make a difference because the FP is over riding all the perameters anyways. Any input??
What are you trying to accomplish?

FWIW, you might want to look into what parameters the FP affects and what it doesn't. Same goes for the HD stage 1 download.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Sagostino
Intermediate

Not really looking to accomplish anything. I just bought the bike and it has the FP on it already but not the stage 1. I can get the stage 1 put on for nothing so if anyone knew first hand it was worth the trouble of resetting the FP I am willing to do so. I think the stage one controls only AFR at random rpm ranges and has nothing to do with ignition etc.

Basically I just noticed the maps for the FP are pretty different depending on if you have done the stage 1 download, and my curiosity has me wondering if after you stack the FP onto the stage 1 download if its really the same thing.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FP3 is a flash tuner, so it seems like a waste to have your ECM programmed with a stage I only to be overwritten by the FP3.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:28 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

I'm no fan of either the Fuelpak or the dealer download but you already have the FP. The download won't do anything to fix the lean state of tune but if you can get if for nothing it might not hurt. What I think you should do is ask Vance and Hines what is their recommendation and what map to use should you get the download.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Sagostino
Intermediate

I've got both maps printed off. After looking into it apparently they are trying to achieve the same AFR for your mods regardless of the ecm download. The FP has way more control than the stock ecu tune-ability obviously so it won't make a difference with the stage 1 or not the FP is accomplishing the same numbers. Thanks for yalls input.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 AM
Starwarrior
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sagostino
Curious if anyone has had the fuelpack on their bike with stock ecm settings then gone to the stage 1 download. My bike currently has the fuel pack on the stock ecm configuration wondering if there is any benefit getting stage 1 download then adjust the FP accordingly. In my mind it wouldn't make a difference because the FP is over riding all the perameters anyways. Any input??
One negative attribute of the FP3 is a map can't be downloaded to a PC so it can be studied or changed at the consumer level. Map cells can be changed but the programmer has to be hooked up and each cell has to be modified independently. The HD stage 1 generic map had a pretty nice power curve but the de-accal pop was pretty significant. Without getting into semantics I wasn't impressed with the results after I Autotuned using the HD stage 1 or V&H downloads and the best performing map for my bike was the generic V&H map download. De-accel pop was significantly reduced, I get a little deeper, throatier exhaust sound, it's more responsive and I get a little more power. V&H does make mention that the Autune function shouldn't be necessary since their downloads are all based on dyno curve performance results and it seems their right. Keep in mind that even dyno tune session performance results will vary since it's so heavily based on the technician's skill level.

2014 FLHSTC V&H True Duals/SE Stage-1/V&H Fuelpak FP3

Last edited by Starwarrior; 07-26-2014 at 03:19 AM.