Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Accel Stealth coil anyone using it yet

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:25 PM
fldime
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accel Stealth coil anyone using it yet

Anyone running the new stealth accel coils on their bike ? No plug wires just like modern cars.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:40 AM
87gtNOS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fldime
Anyone running the new stealth accel coils on their bike ? No plug wires just like modern cars.

Looks interesting.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:19 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Why would you do that? Those coils will kill, totally dead... the ability to self adjust timing for a bad tank of gas or even just a little local pinging.

They may look cool, but I would NOT do it myself.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:15 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Dont understand the statement Wurk Truk?????
Why would it be any different than the stock coils?

Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Our bikes use what we call ION Sensing Coils. These are manufactured by Delphi. Inside is a sensor that reads how much voltage it takes to make a spark.

When the voltage to make a spark varies, this signals different things to the ECM of the bike. Ping most particularly. If ping (spark knock) is detected in the combustion chamber... it is being detected by the plugs taking a different voltage to complete the spark. During a pinging condition, the combustion process is being disturbed inside of the chamber itself.

When ping IS detected, the bike will automatically pull a bit of timing in an effort to try to stop the pinging. If ping is detected long term (like a bad tank of gas) the ION Sensing will pull and keep pulled the timing for like 4 key ons.

All of this is to help protect the engine. IN the older days of cars, they bolted mini microphones to the engine block and an audible noise would trigger this protection. S&S tried that with bikes and it was a total failure. Nowadays GM and Harley use ION sensing instead as it it way more reliable.

It takes the stock coil, stock wires, and stock plugs to make this system work at its best.

And... I gave you an easy to understand version of what goes on. What really happens is right after the plug fires, there is like a fraction of a second glow to the plugs, this is the Ionization of the spark that was just produced. Ping can blow out that Ionization like we can a candle kind of thing, but you get the basics of this.

This is very cutting edge, let alone to find this stuff on our 1903 designed bikes! But... this goes hand and hand with the ECM on the bike is the most sophisticated ECM on ANY bike.... it is a 2 cyl. car ECM, in fact.

Instead of Harley investing in complete water cooling, they invested in the electronics to stay an air cooled bike.

IN fact, if you remove the plugs and try to find a spark? It will spark once and not spark again. The ECM on the bike can tell immediately, from that one spark, that there is NO compression. Pretty neat, huh?

Google Ion Sensing.

The Accell ones look to NOT have Ion Sensing, and I, myself would NOT be the one to give it a go. Go to a chevy dealer and look under the hood of any car there, yes they are single plug coils... but look how big those are... that bigness is to enclose ion sensing in each coil.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 07-09-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 PM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So given the above, I guess those E3 plugs I see in the auto parts store for bikes would be a bad idea as well? How would you go about gapping those, anyway?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:20 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Hahaha!!!!!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:37 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Thanks man...that was a great explanation!!!
I was looking at those things for awhile.......not anymore!!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 AM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

They should work on an Evo though!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:22 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

NICE explanation, Wurk-truk. I know how long it takes to write up something like that, and appreciate your taking the time. Thank-you.

Jim G

Quick Reply: Accel Stealth coil anyone using it yet