Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Question About TTS or Power Vision

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:06 AM
rutcutter999
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About TTS or Power Vision

I understand that these re-program the ECM. However, I have also read that the ECM essentially does some re-learning as time passes. So, my question is this. When you tune with one of these using the auto tune feature do you have to keep running auto tune periodically to keep the tune right? It seems to me that you would because if the ECM can learn it is continually trying to take your bike back to the 14.7 range in AFR after your original tune is completed.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by rutcutter999; 07-14-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:29 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rutcutter999
I understand that these re-program the ECM. However, I have also read that the ECM essentially does some re-learning as time passes. So, my question is this. When you tune with one of these using the auto tune feature do you have to keep running auto tune periodically to keep the tune right? It seems to me that you would because if the ECM can learn it is continually trying to take your bike back to the 14.7 range in AFR after your original tune is completed.
Thanks guys.
Auto Tuning or Smart Tuning as in the case of the SEPST is a process to calibrate the VE Tables to reflect the actual VE which may have changed due to modifications or perhaps a severe change in altitude/climate.

The accuracy of the VE Tables is necessary to insure that the system faithfully reproduces the values in the AFR table.

14.7 is a stoichoimetric value. Putting this value in a cell in the AFR table causes this cell to operate in closed loop mode bringing O2 sensor feedback into play. The sensor toggles between too much fuel and not enough fuel causing the ECM to adjust accordingly adding or subtracting fuel. As I understand, the more accurate your VEs then the fewer adjustments are made by the ECM to achieve the 14.7. The Adaptive fuel table tracks these adjustments and that is the learning you speak of, a cell in the VE table may say 97%, but based on this process the Adaptive Fuel table may have an actual value of 89%.

Any value other than 14.7 in the AFR table causes that cell to function in Open loop mode w/out feedback from the O2 sensors. So if you specify that you want a value of 13.8 in a specific cell, then the system depends on the accuracy of the VE table to reproduce this value. I believe the ECM may also take values from the Adaptive Fuel Table into account as well.

This is how I understand the system works. If I am mistaken on any point I am open to correction.

So.... Does this help?

Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Maybe this will add more understanding.

The object of tuning is to bring the tables closer to what your bike needs.

Waiting on the ECM to "Learn" takes forever and is handicapped by a margin of 5% or less. In other words, the ECM will only adjust so much.

So, tune your bike within 5% using a real tuner then let the ECM adjust in closed loop (normal riding areas).

And for last... there is no such thing at auto-tune. There must be some human/computer intervention to write the corrections to a new calibration and flash the ECM.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

software error. double post

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 07-14-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 PM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
And for last... there is no such thing at auto-tune. There must be some human/computer intervention to write the corrections to a new calibration and flash the ECM.
Yeah, on a Thundermax, here's how it works. You load a base map, and while you ride the t-max ECU is making adjustments to that map to hit the AFR that is set in the map...and it stores the data. It's not going to overwrite or update your map permanently until you tell it to using the "Automap" function in the t-max software. At least that's how I understand it.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by jmr1971
Yeah, on a Thundermax, here's how it works. You load a base map, and while you ride the t-max ECU is making adjustments to that map to hit the AFR that is set in the map...and it stores the data. It's not going to overwrite or update your map permanently until you tell it to using the "Automap" function in the t-max software. At least that's how I understand it.
Correct.... There must be some human/computer intervention to write the corrections to a new calibration and flash the ECM.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rutcutter999
I understand that these re-program the ECM. However, I have also read that the ECM essentially does some re-learning as time passes. This is basically not true. What happens is various gasoline mixtures will be compensated for... which is built in the software to be 5% or less, AND that %5 includes both going richer and going leaner.... so the bike really can only go 3% or so leaner. So, my question is this. When you tune with one of these using the auto tune feature do you have to keep running auto tune periodically to keep the tune right? It seems to me that you would because if the ECM can learn it is continually trying to take your bike back to the 14.7 range in AFR after your original tune is completed. There is NO such thing as auto tune. And... the ECM is NOT trying to take the bike back to original configuration and the resulting 14.7. When one remaps an ECU with a new program, the old program is completely erased. Tuning, either DIY or Dyno makes NEW VE tables. This new set up is what the bike always tries to revert to if at all possible, not the old stuff. So, no... there will be no need at all to 'retune' a bike once properly tuned.
Thanks guys.
Once tuned, AND tuned correctly, there will be very little drift in things. A crappy tune will try to use the 'learning functions' and the tune can drift a bit.

This is why PV, TTS, AND SEPST all want us to get withing 5% of the VE changing. Once the VEs are below 5%, the tune should be good to go.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:39 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

: icon_twocents:

Last edited by wurk_truk; 07-15-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:02 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Maybe this will add more understanding.

The object of tuning is to bring the tables closer to what your bike needs.
Nit picking maybe, but for clarification you mean the VE Tables. Right?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
Nit picking maybe, but for clarification you mean the VE Tables. Right?
I don't think that is nit picking. Think it is a great question.

Just speaking about TTS here...

Cam Selector is a table that must be correct before you can get good VE's

VE's are the next on the list and are the most important right after Cam Selector.

AE adjustments when looking for that great snap throttle adjustment.

DE adjustments for decel assistance or VE adjustment to stop decel pop.

Warm timing table to assist with warm knocking, EGR for smooth acceleration/power.

The list goes on...

My thoughts are that most think setting VE's are good enough and let everything else ride. Just me, but I lean on the other tables to make a "good enough" calibration much better.