Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyna Low Rider w/ Power Vision and Autotune

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:05 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Dyna Low Rider w/ Power Vision and Autotune

I posted this in the Dyna section and then realized I should probably have put it here...

I got my Power Vision yesterday. It came with a map on it titled "D-2010-TD-CL.pvt". I assumed that was the map that Fuel Moto loaded on the PV. I loaded the map and the bike seemed to run well.

Today, I did 3 Autotune sessions. I built off each previous Autotune so the last one is what is below.

Can someone explain how these tables look? lol I am obviously still learning all this and it is greek to me at the moment. I loaded the last auto tune session into the WIN PV software and these are the two table that are under "Spark Advance"...

It seems that the bike is running hotter than my Softail Custom did, although its hard to tell because I do not have an oil temp gauge. The "Engine Tempature" on the PV said 293/205 when I pulled in the garage and I haven't actually ridden the bike since I loaded the last Auto Tune Session (because I was home) but the results below are from "Autotune Results 003.0".

Thoughts? ANY help is appreciated.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
I posted this in the Dyna section and then realized I should probably have put it here...

I got my Power Vision yesterday. It came with a map on it titled "D-2010-TD-CL.pvt". I assumed that was the map that Fuel Moto loaded on the PV. I loaded the map and the bike seemed to run well.

Today, I did 3 Autotune sessions. I built off each previous Autotune so the last one is what is below.

Can someone explain how these tables look? lol I am obviously still learning all this and it is greek to me at the moment. I loaded the last auto tune session into the WIN PV software and these are the two table that are under "Spark Advance"...

It seems that the bike is running hotter than my Softail Custom did, although its hard to tell because I do not have an oil temp gauge. The "Engine Tempature" on the PV said 293/205 when I pulled in the garage and I haven't actually ridden the bike since I loaded the last Auto Tune Session (because I was home) but the results below are from "Autotune Results 003.0".

Thoughts? ANY help is appreciated.
Spark advance looks typical for a stage-1 bike. You didn't say what mods you have.

Autotune doesn't change Spark Advance. It will modify your VE's to suit your bike. That's what you should be monitoring for change.

It's not unusual for a bike to run hot during an autotune session. Autotune removes 4 deg. of spark and sets AFR to 14.6 (.982 lamda) among other things, so the bike may run a bit rough and be hotter than normal during the session.

Flash your new tune and see how it's running. You are looking to get VE changes to <5% minimum. At that point your VE's are dialed in and you can work with timing of AFR's if necessary.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:30 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just installed a pv1 on my 2013 street glide yesterday with a custom tune from fuelmoto also. The bike seems to run good with no decel pop. Should I still run auto tune sessions? I know I dont have anything to loose becouse I will save my origanol fuelmoto map, but is it really possible to improve a custom tuned map with only narrow band o2 sensers?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
I just installed a pv1 on my 2013 street glide yesterday with a custom tune from fuelmoto also. The bike seems to run good with no decel pop. Should I still run auto tune sessions? I know I dont have anything to loose becouse I will save my origanol fuelmoto map, but is it really possible to improve a custom tuned map with only narrow band o2 sensers?
I suggest you run some autotunes. They will adjust the VE's for your specific bike. As you run the autotunes you should be able to feel the bike getting smoother and more responsive. Hit as many areas of the map as possible under varied riding conditions.

I did this with my Fuel Moto map, and although I thought it was running great on the base map, it just got better as I autotuned.

With a FM base map all you really need to do is run some autotunes to sort VE's. Spark Advance and AFR's usually don't require any changes.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Spark advance looks typical for a stage-1 bike. You didn't say what mods you have.

Autotune doesn't change Spark Advance. It will modify your VE's to suit your bike. That's what you should be monitoring for change.

It's not unusual for a bike to run hot during an autotune session. Autotune removes 4 deg. of spark and sets AFR to 14.6 (.982 lamda) among other things, so the bike may run a bit rough and be hotter than normal during the session.

Flash your new tune and see how it's running. You are looking to get VE changes to <5% minimum. At that point your VE's are dialed in and you can work with timing of AFR's if necessary.
Whats the best way to tell if the VE changes are less than or more than 5% changes? Is there a screen that tells me that?

And yes, on this hike I just have a big sucker and v & h short shots. Will be doing cams in the very near future though. When I do that, would it just be best to get a new tune from fuel moto?

Old 08-01-2014, 06:06 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Whats the best way to tell if the VE changes are less than or more than 5% changes? Is there a screen that tells me that?

And yes, on this hike I just have a big sucker and v & h short shots. Will be doing cams in the very near future though. When I do that, would it just be best to get a new tune from fuel moto?
Use the Compare tab at the top of the screen. Load the base file used for the autotune run, then load the new autotune. Then under the Compare tab select Show Delta as Percent.

I would ask Fuel Moto for a new base tune for the cam you choose.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:37 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Use the Compare tab at the top of the screen. Load the base file used for the autotune run, then load the new autotune. Then under the Compare tab select Show Delta as Percent.

I would ask Fuel Moto for a new base tune for the cam you choose.
Thanks!

Well, I loaded the OG map that Fuel Moto sent on the unit. It was titled "D-2010-TD-CL" so I assume it was a map they loaded.

I compared that map to the last Autotune session I ran and there was 0% change across the board. lol So either I did something wrong or maybe my 02 sensors are not plugged in like I thought? I do know that when I did "datalog" and rode the bike, I saw a bunch of figures in the green screen.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong at this point. But I would think there would be atleast SOME change from the Fuel Moto map if I ran autotune 3 times?

Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Thanks!

Well, I loaded the OG map that Fuel Moto sent on the unit. It was titled "D-2010-TD-CL" so I assume it was a map they loaded.

I compared that map to the last Autotune session I ran and there was 0% change across the board. lol So either I did something wrong or maybe my 02 sensors are not plugged in like I thought? I do know that when I did "datalog" and rode the bike, I saw a bunch of figures in the green screen.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong at this point. But I would think there would be atleast SOME change from the Fuel Moto map if I ran autotune 3 times?
Yes, something is wrong. Make sure you're saving the new tune correctly. Put it in a different slot and give it a unique name (Atune-1, Atune-2 or something you will recognize).

It's also a good idea to make sure the tune Fuel Moto loaded as well as the stock tune are saved to your computer in the event that one gets overwritten. That way you can always get back to where you started if you have problems.