Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1997 bagger efi idle too low

Old 08-03-2014, 09:26 AM
fishernut
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 bagger efi idle too low

This bike idles cold at 1000-1100 according to the gauge. When it has warmed up it generally drops to 500-600, which is a nice range. But further into the day, it begins to idle lower at around 400 and feels like it is going to stall at the stop sign, but it doesn't, just feels like it. However, when it idles this low, the oil light begins to flicker, now it will idle down just a little bit more to the point where the oil light stays on. If I tap the throttle a hair, more oil volume is pumped and the light goes out. I've adjusted my idle screw and it seems to keep slipping to a low, low idle. IS my idle screw slipping? Is there another adjustment I need to make like in the throttle cable system?
Thanks in advance

Old 10-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fishernut
This bike idles cold at 1000-1100 according to the gauge. When it has warmed up it generally drops to 500-600, which is a nice range. But further into the day, it begins to idle lower at around 400 and feels like it is going to stall at the stop sign, but it doesn't, just feels like it. However, when it idles this low, the oil light begins to flicker, now it will idle down just a little bit more to the point where the oil light stays on. If I tap the throttle a hair, more oil volume is pumped and the light goes out. I've adjusted my idle screw and it seems to keep slipping to a low, low idle. IS my idle screw slipping? Is there another adjustment I need to make like in the throttle cable system?
Thanks in advance
In case this hasn't been answered for you, the bike is supposed to idle at 950 - 1000 rpm's warm, and around 1400 - 1500 cold. I suspect your gauge is reading a little low, but still, if your oil light is flickering or on at idle, there is not enough oil circulating in your engine. You need to bump the idle. If your bike is Magnetti Marelli injected ('97 should be unless you've got the carbed version), the idle adjustment (when your bike is warm), is accessed via the air cleaner backing plate (lower right hand corner hole in the backing plate)--clockwise raises the idle. After you adjust the idle, disconnect your battery for about 5 - 10 minutes. This gives the ECM time to relearn the closed throttle position. Good luck.