Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Spark plugs are not firing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Shackleford
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spark plugs are not firing.

Hello,
I have a 2002 sportster 1200 that is having ignition system problems.

I checked the plugs themselves first. They don't look too bad. I even switched them out with some other plugs that I know were good ones and still nothing. The plug wires are very good ones, and they are fairly new also. The next thing I've tried is the coil itself. I tested it using a multimeter (according to the factory manual), and it is what it is supposed to be. Just to be sure, I also swapped it out with an old coil I had that I knew was good. Still no fire.

The next thing I'm going to test are the leads to the coil. I'm not exactly sure how to test them though. Any suggestions there would be much appreciated.

I am really hoping it's not the ignition module, because that sucker is expensive!

Any insight you guys could give me on how to solve this would be much appreciated. I just want to get back on the road.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Braveheart1222
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUMP.. similar problem

Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Baird
Road Master
Received 1,060 Likes on 436 Posts

remove coil , turn on the ignition switch, find the primary side wire that has the 12vdc to it,turn off ignition. hook that wire back on the coil. put the plug wires with plugs in them in the proper places to the coil. tape the plugs together so that the metal case that has the hex and threads are touching. let them dangle.get a length of wire and attach it to the last terminal on the coil, put the ignition back on, then touch that wire to ground(chassis) let it touch for a second then lift it off. you should see both plugs fire. report back