Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuelpak3: Auto Tune and decreased fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:37 AM
mpent
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuelpak3: Auto Tune and decreased fuel economy

I have a 2014 FLHXS..bought it a few weeks ago. This is my first bike from scratch if you will...my previous bike, a carbed softail was bought used and needed nothing so I am now learning about mods, tunes, etc.

During a trip back east, I installed a DK Outlaw 587 AC; VH Twin Slash slip on muffler; and VH Fuelpak3. Flashed the map and proceeded to auto tune during a side trip from PA to Cape Cod. After reading a bit more on the auto tune, perhaps I did not tune it properly as I had it active on the bike for several days running each time I rode and applying the learned values intermittently. After the 400 mile trip back to PA, I finalized the tune. On my ride back to Illinois yesterday, I noticed what I feel to be a drastic decrease in fuel economy...from about 42 mpg to 33 mpg. Still getting some decal popping...mostly when shifting from 3-2-1 gears. Definitely notice a decrease in heat, increase in power and throttle response...just really didn't think the fuel economy would suffer as much as it did. Any thoughts?

Old 08-17-2014, 02:48 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've never used an auto tune device, as I don't regard them as useful. Get your bike tuned on a dyno by a competent tuning shop. An auto tuner has no feedback, which a dyno tune provides.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:54 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

An auto tune provides no feedback? Sure it does, you just need to be able to read the block inputs.

Hang in there with the Fuelpak, I am thinking of getting the new one myself, looks great.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by jpowell490
An auto tune provides no feedback? Sure it does, you just need to be able to read the block inputs.

Hang in there with the Fuelpak, I am thinking of getting the new one myself, looks great.

ok, tell us. do people not get these auto tune gadgets so they do not have to do manual tuning?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jpowell490
....... you just need to be able to read the block inputs.
Which provide no meaningfull feedback! They only work within pre-programmed parameters, while a dyno provides remote measurements, measured externally.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
ok, tell us. do people not get these auto tune gadgets so they do not have to do manual tuning?
They get "auto tune" units because they will not or cannot understand the basics of EFI tuning.

As was suggested above, the so-called "auto tune" feature is based completely on someone else's algorithms and not the rider's. Someone else determined what the rider is going to get not what the rider necessarily wants or needs.

To be happy with an "auto tune", one needs to be willing to accept the level of performance (start up, accel, cruise, decel - including popping, mpg's...the whole bit) that's been dictated by someone else.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:27 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Pine Tree

Old 08-18-2014, 07:34 PM
mpent
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I got the flash tuner because I am not interested at this point in figuring it all out myself and I was not inclined to spend the money on the dyno. Not saying it wouldn't be worth it...just wanted to give the fuelpak 3 a try as it appeared to fit my needs. As far as the auto tune goes...someone else's algorithms? I thought the point of the auto tune was that it computed measures while riding and then applied the values learned during the tune so it would be a custom tune of sorts? Anyway it's all beside the point...can anyone provide me with feedback regarding the decreased fuel economy? Thanks.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:33 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by mpent
...As far as the auto tune goes...someone else's algorithms? I thought the point of the auto tune was that it computed measures while riding and then applied the values learned during the tune so it would be a custom tune of sorts?...
That's exactly what the marketing people WANT you to believe.

Yes, the "system" takes certain measurements and then gives them to the "auto tune" part to do its thing.

But the "auto tune" manufacturer is concerned because they have no clue as to the condition of any bike. So, they build in a LOT of safety margins by allowing the "auto tune" part to make only a limited amount of changes (fuel and timing among other things).

So legally, it did "auto tune" but to what extent? That's the algorithms (or parameters as another poster said) mentioned earlier.

Originally Posted by mpent
...Anyway it's all beside the point...can anyone provide me with feedback regarding the decreased fuel economy? Thanks.
Beside the point? Maybe not as your op seems to suggest the decrease came after you "finalized the tune." So that could have played a role. Also a change in fuel could be an issue as tuning sessions should be done with from beginning to end with the same fuel. But there are other variables that would affect mpg's. So more investigation on your part is needed.

Remember...a competent turner with a full-featured program can do wonders with a bike (or make it run like crap). With an "auto tune" system, the tuner is pretty restricted and the rider will end up with what the manufacturer wants them to have.

I know it sucks to here some of this after one spends a bunch of money and not end up with what they THOUGHT they should have. The claims made by most manufacturers are usually legal but most are usually misleading...at best.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Vhcsr
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the original poster. The Fuelpak FP3's AutoTune feature is calibrating the VE Tables (Volumetric Efficiency) of the bike and nothing else. When you selected a basemap to AutoTune off of which did you select?

The AutoTune will help hone-in the map for bikes with slightly different setups than what is offered from our database. The maps that we create in house are created on a dyno. We tune the VE's, ignition, accel enrichment, decel enleanment, rev limit and AFR tables and more. It is highly recommended that you first start with the basemap that we recommend without running the AutoTune right away. The Adaptive Fuel Values of the bike will still make fine adjustments as ride and go through different conditions. If at that point there are still deficiencies within the map, then AutoTune off the V&H map.

Quick Reply: Fuelpak3: Auto Tune and decreased fuel economy