Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

running like crap with fuelpak after ape install NO CODES

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:22 PM
nitrohound
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running like crap with fuelpak after ape install NO CODES

After ape install, bike runs terrible. No codes popping up, all signals, lights cruise etc... working. Hesitant start, bad throttle response. Bike bogs when getting on it. Top speed sucks too. Checked modes, and throttle band on fuel pak. Any idea what could be the problem? I don't need some dumbass telling me to buy a PCV. I know what I have and need for my setup. It was working fine before ape install. Thanks,
Hound

Old 08-18-2014, 05:41 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Hound,

You may have inadvertently not installed the throttle cable correctly?

If you think you did, then you might want to try resetting your TPS, throttle position sensor. I am not sure if the fuelpak has that ability, but you can usually do it through the stock computer by following a few steps.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:35 PM
nitrohound
Tourer

Thanks, talked to v& h. They asked if butterfly on throttle body was open when throttle closed. It was open, he said I need to adjust throttle plate. I have tried researching this and havent had much luck yet. I have an Indy doing the work, just trying to educate myself, and make sure they know what the hell they're doing. Im no grease monkey,but can do basics. I wrestle high voltage, but am learning. Just thought some of you guys might have some experience to share. Thanks again....

Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 AM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Well if you are being advised to adjust the throttle plate, which I think is a bit harsh if running Fuel Injection, then it is down near the throttle body. It is about like the old carb idle screws. I wouldn't do that though, there has to be something in that throttle cable.

You said fuelpak was on there and running fine before apes right?

Old 08-19-2014, 02:58 PM
nitrohound
Tourer

Yes, running fine. Its not a cable, which I'm sure you know, dont know how this is adjusted, as far as open butterfly, just relaying what v&h dude said. No codes, so no shorts right? Just want to ride!!!!!. Thanks

Old 08-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Vhcsr
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When installing new handlebars/cables/grips it is necessary to re-calibrate the throttle in Mode 19 of the LED Fuelpak. This mode tells the the Fuelpak the 0-5V signal range of the TPS/Twist grip. Without this being done, the Fuelpak will be adding fuel at the wrong time and could create run ability issues.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:28 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

So V&H, would this be a problem when changing bars if you're running FP3 ?

Old 08-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Vhcsr
Former Sponsor

No, it is not necessary because the FP3 is reprogramming the ECM, not working in between the injectors and ECM.

Some of the earlier model LED and LCD models didn't require this calibration. Specifically, 2008-13 Touring (Fly-by-wire models) and Sportster (part number 61023) 2007-2013 because these units were not plugging directly into the ECM.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 PM
nitrohound
Tourer

Thanks Vhscr, how do you recalibrate mode 19? I w e nt through all modes and checked to make sure they were the same as map. Will try searching 4 this. Thank you

Old 08-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Vhcsr
Former Sponsor

Turn the bike on, ignition and handlebar run switch, but do not start the bike. Then go directly to mode 19 and twist the throttle to WOT. Then go to Mode 21 and do the same thing. Except in Mode 21 you will see the Value on the right go from 0 (at Static position) to 99 at WOT. This is how you now know the Fuelpak is calibrated.

Here is a link to the 2002-2007 Touring Model instructions.

http://www.fuelpakfi.com/downloads/H...pakTouring.pdf

Quick Reply: running like crap with fuelpak after ape install NO CODES