Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

cobra tuners

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:19 PM
crashit354
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cobra tuners

Anybody tried the PowrPro Tuner by Cobra? I'm going to do heads and cams on my 07 wide glide this winter and I'm looking for a tuner to go with it. This one says its self tuning.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by crashit354
Anybody tried the PowrPro Tuner by Cobra? I'm going to do heads and cams on my 07 wide glide this winter and I'm looking for a tuner to go with it. This one says its self tuning.
Most of the Cobra stuff have been discussed here many times before.

So, unless this unit is capable of adjusting the VE's and timing, you might want to look elsewhere. Yes, you'll need to read up on actual tuning parameters to understand what's involved and what's not.

For you application, I'd HIGHLY suggest staying away from this and similar "tuning" devices. You are changing many settings by the mods you're going to be doing and that requires a program that's capable.

Sadly, there are now so many different definitions of self tuning that the poor, uneducated buyer is probably going to buy something that's misleading at best and downright false at worse.

Don't buy anything yet...read up on tuning...then decide.

Good luck!

Last edited by Pine Tree; 08-21-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

I used to have a Cobra PowrPro on a Honda VTX 1800R. Without writing an essay on it, I will say this:

The PowrPro is an acceptable solution for someone who has a non-stock bike and no convenient access to a human tuner with dyno. But it has some serious shortfalls, the worst of which is inability to react quickly enough to prevent large AFR swings whenever the engine is not doing a steady cruise. I gave it a good test, with help from 2 world class human tuners with dynes, and we all agreed that it does an acceptable job on steady state cruiser, and does get about the same peak rpm power as a human tuner with dyno, but not so good a job on dynamic changes, and very inferior on off-idle to low range rpm transition.

Just my opinion, but with the Power Vision available, there seems no sensible reason to consider a Cobra PowrPro for a Harley except for riders who cannot get to a human tuner with dyno.

Jim G

Old 08-21-2014, 08:30 PM
crashit354
6th Gear

Thank you.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Hellovaman
Stage I
Default Cobra Fi2000 Power Pro AutoTuner

I'm on a 2012 FatBob with the following mods. Running the Woods 777 cams, Vance n Hines Big Radius 2 into 1 exhaust and a RSD Venturi Air Cleaner. Don't know what this unit will do beyond my current mods, but I like experimenting.

I have had my Cobra on my Bike for almost 2 years now and I have to say...My bike purrs like a kitten through all the gears and RPMs, no flat spots and no decibel popping. Just to mention I was running a Screaming Eagle flash to my ECM that left me with more decibel pop than I wanted. Had it re-flashed and no change from the dealer with the decibel pop still present. My COBRA almost completely eliminated the popping. I have ridden in torrential rains for hours on end and the COBRA made adjustments even when my air cleaner became moist from the rain, Just saying. May or may not have been the Cobra, but every other hog that I was riding with was struggling through that rain. I was purring like a kitten.

I'll say this.. There can be flaws in anything electronic, especially new items being introduced. Ive seen brand new parts be bad right out the box from all sorts of parts manufacturers. May or may not be for You but this kid is a believer. I even reverted back to my Screaming Eagle tune for comparison at one point. I quickly re-installed my COBRA. My bike just Runs like a Bat out of Hell in any gear at any RPM with absolutely NO flat spots.. Thats my 2cent. I have read others with bad experiences and I may have to graduate to something more once I start my head work and upping my Ci's (planning to go to a 107 ci from current 103 ci). I'll keep you posted on my findings.