Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Terrible dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:42 PM
GWD1983
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible dyno results

Hey all,

Just finished breaking in my net setup (listed below) and I took it to the tuner. He worked on it for somewhere about 2 hours and than I got the bike back.

Dyno chart displayed a whopping..... 80hp / 84tq...

That's terrible ... Everything is fitted right, all the numbers and the math adds up .. what could be wrong to explain this horrible outcome?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Do you have the data sheets from the flow bench for the heads you installed? Looks to me like you are 10-15 hp low.....

The Pro Pipe, and high comp big bore pistons seems like good stuff but if the heads don't floww you won't get the numbers you are looking for.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:01 PM
GWD1983
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope don't have those.. But even with the stock heads it should output more than this ...

Old 08-22-2014, 06:39 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

It seems to me based on the description, on paper the numbers should be around 95 TQ and HP for your high comp 95" TC. How does it run? Can you feel the difference after the build? Assume you did not have the High Comp Pistons before so can you feel the bigger bore and added compression in the bike, does it feel like you have more low end grunt? Also the higher compression will change the exhaust with power pulses being more pronounced. Assuming it runs better than before the build it could be the dyno....

All Dyno's generate Torque numbers then use software to calculate Horse Power. Torque is what the dyno measured and the torque load sensor in the Dyno needs calibrated from time to time. What I am trying to say is you can take your bike with the same tune and build to 3 different Dyno's and get 3 different results. And most likely the dyno farthest away from the last calibration date will have a radically different result compared to the others.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:01 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Berkenbosch
Hey all,

Just finished breaking in my net setup (listed below) and I took it to the tuner. He worked on it for somewhere about 2 hours and than I got the bike back.

Dyno chart displayed a whopping..... 80hp / 84tq...

That's terrible ... Everything is fitted right, all the numbers and the math adds up .. what could be wrong to explain this horrible outcome?
What brand of dyno? Reason for asking is that some dyno manufacturers make dynes that consistently read significantly lower - like 10 to 20% lower - than Dynojet. Dynojet is the "industry standard" in terms of horsepower that is actually comparable from one bike on one dyno to another bike on another dyno. Virtually all the dyno charts and numbers you see on this forum are from Dynojet dynos.

If your dyno run was done on a Dynojet dyno, and was done in the correct gear (either 4th or 5th depending upon the shop's practices), then yes, you appear to have a problem. But if it was say a Mustang dyno or other brand, maybe not.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I would think that you are over 100/100 with your setup. Im no dyno tuning expert, but two hours on the dyno seems low. I've heard of shops taking 6-8 hours on a dyno tune....sometimes longer.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:10 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
I would think that you are over 100/100 with your setup. Im no dyno tuning expert, but two hours on the dyno seems low. I've heard of shops taking 6-8 hours on a dyno tune....sometimes longer.
that will not happen with the 37 only .510 lift and not knowing what size valves were used and how good they flow are key factors. for example my first setup was 107cid woods 555 set @ 10.3:1 with hillside stage II heads and 51mm hpi went off at 105/108 tuned.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:13 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

But how does it ride? Im sure you can find a dyno shop that will give you the numbers you want.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Does it run good? Paper does not make a rider, my 2011 Road Glide Ultra with upgrades made 88hp and 98 ft lbs and no one keep up.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:39 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Ditch the power commander for a good full function flash tuner and you should gain much better numbers. Not a fan if power commander. Don't believe in not using o2 sensors and having a bunch of crap inline and piggyback off ecm. TTS would do wonders for your setup.

Quick Reply: Terrible dyno results