Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

DynoJet s*cks, I need a Thundermax

Old 03-01-2015, 04:16 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's a thread on the [url=https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/917305-thundermax-ecm-thread-9.html]thundermax/url]
There is a good post on the last page summarizing the initial setup.
I've had one on a rk for over 2 years with no problem and getting better all the time.
I think the problem some experience *may* be attributed to improper setup, low voltage, initializing. The tmax is a great benefit to my bike (and me) that I would buy again if I had to do it over.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pat1
Don't waste your money with thundermax. I bought it and I was told to select a map and ride..... I bought it from a trusted source and he selected map. I also tried a couple other maps.Well that worked great LOL. I had my *** handed to me by a guy running a stock 103 with a cam. I'm on a 124ci. I knew I could get a bit more power out of it so I had it dyno tuned with tts. I had the tuner run a base tune with the tmax. He ran 5 runs 103hp and 110 tq out of a S&S124.

My tuner was able to get 123hp and 133tq with a slipping clutch. Thats huge!!!

Spend your money on a tune and don't fall for that autotune BS. A waste of 800 bucks.

Disagree.... The auto tune works and works well (assuming that you chose a good base map). It will auto tune the AFRs to whatever the values on the AFR vs TPS tables are set to. You can change the AFRs to what ever you want in the and the autotune will do the rest.

It WILL NOT tune timing. This is why proper map selection is so important. If you cannot find a map that is a close match to your build you many need to spend some time on a dyno to sort it out

IMO, (when choosing a map for the thundermax) stroke, compression and cam selection are way more important than exhaust and throttle body selection. If you cant find a base map that is a match for your build then choose one that is the closet match to your setup. Make sure to compare you cam spec with the base maps cam specs. If I had to choose between two maps that had different cams, the one with the closest intake valve closing to your cam would win

Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 PM
pat1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Boost
Disagree.... The auto tune works and works well (assuming that you chose a good base map). It will auto tune the AFRs to whatever the values on the AFR vs TPS tables are set to. You can change the AFRs to what ever you want in the and the autotune will do the rest.

It WILL NOT tune timing. This is why proper map selection is so important. If you cannot find a map that is a close match to your build you many need to spend some time on a dyno to sort it out

IMO, (when choosing a map for the thundermax) stroke, compression and cam selection are way more important than exhaust and throttle body selection. If you cant find a base map that is a match for your build then choose one that is the closet match to your setup. Make sure to compare you cam spec with the base maps cam specs. If I had to choose between two maps that had different cams, the one with the closest intake valve closing to your cam would win

I did everything you said to a t. I even contacted thundermax and had them suggest a map..... I told them what I had. C.I. compression ratio,cam.injectors,throttle body size,exhaust And that map got me 103/110 out of a 124.

I figure go straight to the source. Nobody would know better than the company who build the box . Right????

I'll post up the dyno runs. Air/fuel ratios were all over the place.

Last edited by pat1; 03-02-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:26 AM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing is better than the stock ECM (with TTS) on current model bikes but for Neggy's 2003 FLHTPI the thundermax is the way to go.

The principals of tuning are the same no matter what tunner you use. Add or remove fuel, advance or retard timing and so on.... obvously there is more to it than that but.... Your tuner could have easily made similar fuel/timing adjustments with the thundermax that he did to whatever you are using now and got similar results.

If your AFRs were all over the place with the Thundermax then there may have been something wrong like a faulty O2 sensor. Also, how many miles did you put on the bike before the dyno? I ask because the Autotune function is not instantaneous. It takes some time. At least a couple hundred miles. If your MAP was a poor match you may have to write the learned AFR corrections to the map a few times to get it right.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:56 AM
pat1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Boost
Nothing is better than the stock ECM (with TTS) on current model bikes but for Neggy's 2003 FLHTPI the thundermax is the way to go.

The principals of tuning are the same no matter what tunner you use. Add or remove fuel, advance or retard timing and so on.... obvously there is more to it than that but.... Your tuner could have easily made similar fuel/timing adjustments with the thundermax that he did to whatever you are using now and got similar results.

If your AFRs were all over the place with the Thundermax then there may have been something wrong like a faulty O2 sensor. Also, how many miles did you put on the bike before the dyno? I ask because the Autotune function is not instantaneous. It takes some time. At least a couple hundred miles. If your MAP was a poor match you may have to write the learned AFR corrections to the map a few times to get it right.

I had around 1k miles and I automapped it a few times. I bought it new in sept 14 and had maybe 1500 miles on it.