Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Dyno tune

Didn't know where to ask this, but here goes. Just got my ultra back after Jim's 120 install. Has a PV-1 with a map from Dynojet for my particular parts. Not happy with the map, have done some tweaking to make it a decent starting point (can't auto tune, no O2 sensors). Need to dyno tune, question is, what should I expect for 5,6,7 hours tuning price wise. Fuelmoto doesn't have a map for this engine, they have only recently started developing a map for the 120R.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:50 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by 1plumr1
Didn't know where to ask this, but here goes. Just got my ultra back after Jim's 120 install. Has a PV-1 with a map from Dynojet for my particular parts. Not happy with the map, have done some tweaking to make it a decent starting point (can't auto tune, no O2 sensors). Need to dyno tune, question is, what should I expect for 5,6,7 hours tuning price wise. Fuelmoto doesn't have a map for this engine, they have only recently started developing a map for the 120R.
Somewhere in the high 400 to present tts sticky is a what to ask your dyno tuner or search that and you will get a lot of info. I would expect 5-7 hundred. May be less or more depending on operators skill level.Why no o2's?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

What should you expect? A bike that runs well. I'm not sure why you are asking us as a dyno tune should have been in your budget from the outset! Let us know how you get on.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:20 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
What should you expect? A bike that runs well. I'm not sure why you are asking us as a dyno tune should have been in your budget from the outset! Let us know how you get on.
Dyno tune is in the budget, cost isn't a concern, just curious. Going to weld some bungs on for 02 sensors and run auto tune. I live in the ding weeds so not real close to a good dyno tuner. When I find a good one with good reviews I won't mind traveling 1000 miles if I need to. I think this engine will be too much fun not to have it tuned right..

Old 08-31-2014, 06:27 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Auto tune is a very misleading term. It is not meant to tune your bike. It's meant to use after your bike is properly dyno tuned. It's only purpoae is to "maintain" the tune. The biggest proplem I have with it is while you are out data collecting you are riding your big money motor build way out of tune.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:58 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Auto tune is a very misleading term. It is not meant to tune your bike. It's meant to use after your bike is properly dyno tuned. It's only purpoae is to "maintain" the tune. The biggest proplem I have with it is while you are out data collecting you are riding your big money motor build way out of tune.
I don't buy that for one second. If properly dyno tuned you should never need to make any adjustments unless you change a component. Auto tune with tts anyway is just changing afr and not using pe and setting adp knock table to zero won't do any damage to bike. All your doing is getting ve optimized as possible. Is it designed or meant for wot runs? No. You can hit some wot but once you reach a map value over xx kpa you go back open where table never was changed to begin with. So all I am saying is a dyno tune usually is always better overall but you can dial a bike in for normal riding with a vtune/auto tune feature just as good.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:26 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
I don't buy that for one second. If properly dyno tuned you should never need to make any adjustments unless you change a component. Auto tune with tts anyway is just changing afr and not using pe and setting adp knock table to zero won't do any damage to bike. All your doing is getting ve optimized as possible. Is it designed or meant for wot runs? No. You can hit some wot but once you reach a map value over xx kpa you go back open where table never was changed to begin with. So all I am saying is a dyno tune usually is always better overall but you can dial a bike in for normal riding with a vtune/auto tune feature just as good.
You're not considering that over time things wear in. A bike will in fact go out of tune over time without changing components. Things wear, filters get dirty etc. Fuel grade also changes which will change a bikes tune. Autotune makes minor adjustments to correct these things. Call up any company that makes an autotune or a self tune type thing. They'll more than likely tell you that it is not intended to replace a dyno tune.