Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

questions on a (bad) power vision dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:25 PM
2mOOn
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default questions on a (bad) power vision dyno tune

I finally got my bike back this past weekend. It took 8 weeks for a 103 to 107 engine build and dyno tune!!!! This from a local independent shop that I "thought" was highly recommended. Long story, filled with rage, that I'll not go into here.

Sad part is, after all that, I don't think it's right yet! It runs OK...ish...but it just doesn't sound or feel right. I really am not well educated in this stuff...this is my first ever "hot rod" motor...but it sounds to me like the timing is off by just enough to make it run ok but not optimal.

I won't be taking it back to the original builder for obvious reasons. I have found another shop (AmericanAtLarge in Carrollton KY) who is well experienced with power vision (it's the only tuner he uses) and is willing to help me out but only after I put some miles on it. I talked at length with him about the bike and the situation and I'm fairly confident he knows his stuff and can get all this sorted out...eventually.

Build includes bigger pistons with ported and polished heads at 10.5:1, bigger valves and stiffer springs, T-Man 590 cams, 58mm throttle body with 5.3 injectors, FM stage 1 air cleaner, FM ceramic coated head pipe, RC Components 4" mufflers.

Current dyno numbers show 124 HP and 124 TQ but the curves are NOT smooth at all. I've not seen any examples of dyno runs like this posted by anyone else, so I'm more than a little skeptical.

Anyway, I'm looking at the tune and have a few questions.

1) Injector size listed in the tune is 5.23...shouldn't it be 5.3? Will that make a noticeable difference?
2) Engine displacement listed in the tune is 103.9. Shouldn't it be 107? Or perhaps larger? Again, will that make a difference?
3) Should Adaptive control be off or on?
4) Speedo calibration listed in the tune is 2206...stock was 2262. Shouldn't that be the same in order to show proper speed?
5) I am also getting some backfiring on decel. Not a gurgle but a "bang". Should this be happening with a properly tune engine?

Thanks for listening. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

©¿©