Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Cant get rid of front cylinder knock..

Old 09-17-2014, 03:15 PM
biglipps66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get rid of front cylinder knock.. even with 100 OCTANE

So for some reason I can't seem to get rid of the front cylinder knock unless I drop the timing way down into the single digit range?

2014 103 glide
RSD cleaner
Full 4" Rinehart Slimline
PCV
Autotune pro (wideband)
California (AGH!) blend 91 octane (the fail octane)

The knock comes on from 50-60kpa at 2500-3000 range. Even at a nice fuel giving 13:1 AFR I can't get rid of the knock in this range. The rear cylinder advances timing great but the front sees 9.75 counts and just pulls timing way into the low single digit ranges, at the same time the exhaust note changes and the bike just doesn't want to move. I must stress ALL other ranges are great and the bike pulls amazing up top, its strictly this range thats problematic.

From 3k+ RPM it seems to wake up and start to advance timing again, its just the cruising range listed above that reduces all power on the front.

No changes made to timing, tuning out the timing on the autotune the tuner wants to pull massive amounts of timing out due to the knock.

Even when the bike was totally stock and I added the PCV I noticed massive knock in this range and the reduction in timing advance.

Is there something Im missing here? Plug issues? Wire issues? Maybe a sensor? Its going to be hard to get HD to look at this issue seeing that Ive got all these tuning goodies on there.

Last edited by biglipps66; 09-26-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: test
Old 09-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were to reload the original stock tune, take the PCV and WB sensors out, would it still knock? If it does let HD deal with it. As I understand, once you take the PCV off, they will never know it was there.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:17 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Pull back 5 degrees and run another data log.

I have a similar problem with my rear cylinder, one thing I factor in is the intake air temp, when it is over 136 I have it set to pull timing from 50 kpa on up.

Its been hot out.

Last edited by JustDave13; 09-17-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 AM
biglipps66
Cruiser

The timing has been pulled back probably 7 degrees at least from factory settings at the moment. The rear Ive actually been able to ADVANCE the whole table by 2 degrees and its been damn near perfect, its very shocking the differences Im getting.

Its definitely been hot up in LA, 114 at my place the other day in the valley, I know that certainly isn't helping anything! I will try and pull it a little bit right before i get the knock though and see how it reacts.

Delta it definitely knocks like mad even when it was stock. I can tell when it pulls timing and knocks due to the sound of the exhaust, a big difference for sure and not smooth feeling at all. I think Im still going to try a little bit of 100 or 110 octane mixed in just out of curiosity. If it knocks with 100/110 (whatever i can find locally) in the tank then there must be a freakin sensor issue or something insane ha.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:02 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

On my rear cylinder I have the timing set at 27, 31, 33, 36, 37, 40 advanced in the 50kpa column from 1750 to 3000 rpm range. The lowest I have is 5.75 delta compared to stock pulled at 2750.

I get very little pinging in this area (less than a degree) and I have pulled back almost 6 degrees at one point.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by biglipps66
The knock comes on from 50-60kpa at 2500-3000 range. Even at a nice fuel giving 13:1 AFR I can't get rid of the knock in this range. .

Even when the bike was totally stock and I added the PCV I noticed massive knock in this range and the reduction in timing advance.
some thoughts.
-have you swapped plugs
-do not think the wires are same length, perhaps replacement wires
-if the first two do not work can you increase the front VE 5% in those cells only.
are the O2 sensors bypassed with PCV? If not, perhaps front O2 faulty.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:32 PM
biglipps66
Cruiser

I havent swapped plugs yet but after adding some higher octane Ill take it from there and see what happens. I didn't think about adjusted the VE tables a little bit but ya I could definitely add a little fuel percentage to the tables right before my problem area into the area itself and see what happens. Good thought on that one

Old 09-21-2014, 03:36 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,
I adjusted my VE in an area where i getting some knock and it has reduced knock a little bit, only changed them approximately 2% at that rpm and map, sort of smoothed boxes around it a little so graph still looked smooth

Gonna drop another 2% in same spot and see what happens
Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 09-27-2014, 11:42 AM
60wt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had the same problem with ping in hot weather also,had to drop my timing quite a bit, Im set just about the same as justdave13, but I also dropped timing in the " spark temperature correction table'' Made a big difference for me in the heat..

Old 09-27-2014, 05:16 PM
sdwold
Intermediate

biglipps66, Here is the response I got from Jamie Long at Fuel Moto...

Hello, on 14-15 CANbus ECM the knock retard channel does not report individual knock events as with earlier bikes, it reports what the ECM is doing collectively with adaptive knock retard. We do not generally use AT for timing on these models, some knock activity is common and the 14-15 bikes are hyper sensitive to knock, so if you remove it you will end up with less than ideal performance. Unless you are getting large retard events I would not remove timing.

In other words, your not reading actual Knock Events! I put mine back to the original settings from Fuel Moto, and just let AT adjust my VE's, then set my AFR where I wanted it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cant get rid of front cylinder knock..