Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Wrong Parts from Dealership

Old 10-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Ironyman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong Parts from Dealership

Went by and picked up my new points, plugs, and inspection plate gasket. My old gasket was Home made. This is a '76 XLCH. I got the gasket and looked at it. It was a cork ring type gasket with no holes for the screws to go though. I asked them about that and told them I didn't think it was right. The parts guy that took my order last week wasn't there. So this one guy was looking it up on the computer and asked 'what year'. Another guy was looking at the packaging. When I said the year the guy looking at the package said these gaskets say for '74 and older. The guy at the computer ask for more details and then said he found it and that it has two notches, not holes. I said that sounds more like it. I asked if there was a picture of it. He said 'yes' and turned the computer around so I could see it. He has looking at the Generator. I told him 'no, I want the gasket for the plate that covers the points'. After some more looking he told me that year had electronic ignition. Said it went from '71 to '78 with EI. I told him that's not right. After some more looking he said EI for that year was all he could find. I told him to look under Right Crank Case Cover. He did and then found the right gasket and had one in stock. Great. Then I asked him are y'all sure these are the right points and plugs. He assured me they were. Well, I should had looked then. I just opened up the box of plugs. They are Gapless. They take the smaller plug wench. They are Champion G54V. I'm pretty sure they are not the right ones. What plug should I run? Clymers says, Average use: H-D 4 or Hard use: H-D 5. What plugs for the easiest cranking?
Point are most likely wrong too. They are Blue Streak, part number on the back says: 31387MC H/D-KIT1 ALT. B.
I've ordered the HD parts book. But I doubt it will be delivered by this weekend. Most likely won't help me on the Blue Streak part numbers anyway. I'm not home yet to compare parts. But wouldn't want to cut open the Bubble package of the points to compare unless I'm pretty sure they are the right ones anyway. I think the threaded part of the plugs are longer on the new ones and maybe even a smaller diameter.

Last edited by Ironyman; 10-10-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:08 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The points for your 76 are the same as for a 70 and later shovelhead. It's been years since I had a 76 Sportster and if I remember right I used the Champion H10 plug. It was a short reach 14 mm plug.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Ironyman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's interesting. The H10 was the same plug recommended for the the old Ford N Tractors back in the '40s. Most today recommend using the H12 or Autolite 437. O'course the old flat head plug is not over the piston. So the is no way for the pistion to hit the plug. Could I or should I go with the hotter plug? Here's a quote from one of the guys that really know them old tractors:
"while the N-Engine was originally spec'd fer the cooler Champion H-10, we've found the HOTTER AutoLite 437's to be a better choice for todays no-lead gasoline. While Champion H-12's are crossed to AutoLite 437's, Champion does NOT have a good reputation"

Old 10-11-2014, 07:53 AM
sasquatch_38
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my experience with the dealer shops in my area,is they don't know s$#t about these old scoots. I also have a '76,and i'm lucky enough that i have a local indy shop that can find most stuff for old iron,then there is the internet. Lots of good info on here,just have to search for it