Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

neck bearings/swing arm bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Do not be too concerned about the threads. They are fine threads and there are lots of them to take the beating. Use you own judgement at the time, of course. I have never needed more than a few taps or hits.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Some 80 models had cleve blocks in the swingarm; if you have that, this article might be interesting for you, and has some photos:
http://www.bikernetbaggers.com/pages...e__Part_1.aspx

If you pull that swingarm bolt (sounds like you need to) be sure the transmission is supported so it won't fall. Probably need all rubber parts replaced, too. Just hope the bolt isn't rusted solid in there so you have to cut it and press it out of the swingarm and/or transmission. Check the manual for which direction to remove it, some are supposed to come out only on one side. Check the swing arm carefully for cracks when you get it off, you can get swing arm flex from that, too.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:49 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Thank you for sharing that info. It is interesting, and new me and to my 10+ years of IronHeads. I expect those are things that apply to some big twins, perhaps ShovelHeads.

You will not find cleve blocks in an IronHead Sportster. And the transmission is completely supported internal to the cases. It is not possible for it to be affected at all by removing the swingarm.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

My bad, saw two gas caps in the photo and somehow my mind slipped into big twin mode; yep it's a sporty. I shoulda known better, have a sporty with two gas caps, too! Not real familiar with older sporties, mine are fairly recent acquisitions, but don't the Ironheads have roller bearings instead of spherical bearings like my later Evolutions? Should be much easier to replace than that mess in the big twins.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:31 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

On the IronHeads replacing the swingarm bearings is probably the most overlooked maintenance item, next to the usual steering head bearings, fork oil and brake fluid like most old bikes. The most difficult part can be getting the pivot bolt out - on some [i got lucky on mine ] it is easy, on others you really do need a BFH

The author of the link i put in post #6 included very good, detailed photos of the parts.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:42 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

i decided to put off the swingarm bearings for now

i am focusing on the neck bearing, front forks and front brakes for now
lots to do on this bike , plus i do enjoy riding it too

i bought a fork rebuild kit that is on order and some type e fluid, also plan on painting the front forks
hopefully tonight i will get the forks loose and post some picks of the bearings and neck cups

Old 03-04-2015, 07:03 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

i did not really think about replacing the neck cups until someone mentioned it
i guess i will know more when i get it all apart, but i was hoping not to have to do that

If it is one of those, "just do it since it is apart things" it might be worth it, not sure

Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

got some work done tonight on the bike, i got the forks out with a little help from a mallet and a block of wood and cleaned and rebuilt one side

on to the questions: the neck cups were so loose you can slide them and twist them by hand. the boottom almost fell out by itself. What to do about this?

the races had alot of scarring and need replaced. The upper bearing doesn't fit the shaft, it is very loose and unless im missing something i think it is the wrong bearing

the shaft is scarred where it has been rubbing the inside of the cups because the bearing top was so loose. it seems fine where the bearings contact it

also, the inner part of the bearing lower and the dust shield are still on the shaft. i cut them pretty deep and tried to break it with a chisel but could not get it

also the races are still in the cups. i left them there for now till i figure out what to do with the loose cups

Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

iron mick, i need the same parts you ordered from v-twin manufacturing, i have the part numbers but i cant find anywhere to order them

i cant remember working this hard to order parts online before

JP cycles said they can order anything from v-twin but that i need to call in the order during business hours, that is the best i have so far

if any one knows a site i can order i would appreciate it

i need neck cups, races, bearings and dust shields for 80 xl

i dont care if they are from v-twin i am just having difficulties sourcing the parts

Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

My local indie mechanic specializes in vintage bikes. He has connections to all the suppliers for Brit bikes, etc. I go mine from him; he ordered from one of his usual suppliers.

Any motorcycle shop should be able to order V-Twin parts. None nearby?

Quick Reply: neck bearings/swing arm bearing