Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:10 PM
gus5783
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems

I just got a 1976 bicentennial edition. it has the electric start which believe makes it the XLH1000. either way. i had it for about a week and put about 100 miles on it. considering the bike is 38 some odd years old it runs fairly well. it needs some work, clutch is a little finicky and currently has no turn signals. the other day i was riding home and the throttle began to respond weird. with throttler held open the motorcycle would accelerate then bog down then accelerate the bog down with out moving the throttle at all. i thought maybe the fuel was low so i switched the petcock but it didnt change anything. i made it about a quarter of a mile and the motorcycle died and wouldnt restart. fortunately i was in my neighborhood and was able to push it home. when i attempted to restart it would fire once or twice but not start. now it wont even fire. i starter is working i can hear the motor turning it just wont start. there is fuel in the tank and oil in the reservoir. any suggestions would be great.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:46 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Erratic operation can be a sign of an intake leak. Here is a thread on how to check for these ...

Intake And Exhaust Leaks Tests
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=39766

But first check the pushrod adjustment. Note that this procedure must be done with the engine stone cold - best time is first thing in the morning after it has sat unused all night. Do the setup and prep the night before and it is a quick job in the morning [if you are experienced ]. Here is a helpful thread ...

Ironhead Push Rod Adjustment
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=44143

Also, fully charge the battery. Best to use an automatic charger with a green LED indicating full charge. Otherwise use a battery tester to determine full charge. It will probably take more than just overnight, perhaps as much as 24 hours.

Let us know how this goes for you. Ask more questions any time

Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 PM
sasquatch_38
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could also be that your fuel filter is plugging up,and running out of fuel.Pull the line off your petcockand see if fuel runs free,the main filter on these(at least on my 76,) is inside the tank on the top of the petcock.I run a secondary inline filter,too.