Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

bike stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:51 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default bike stalling

last night my ironhead stalled and i had to push it a few blocks home

it happened after i had taken a short ride, the bike felt really hot after it died, it felt and sounded like it ran out of gas, it would turn over but would not start, also it shot flames out the exhaust and once out the carburator one time when i was trying to restart it,

it was dark so i didnt notice on the side of the road but there was no gas in the clear fuel filter and i had plenty of gas, after the bike cooled i turned the fuel valve back on and it filled up like regular. I didnt try to start it because the baby was already asleep and it was getting late

i need some advise on what to look at
the bike has brand new petcock with new screen and clean fuel filter, it it s&s carburater

Old 08-11-2015, 07:39 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Shooting flames out the carb could be an intake valve open when spark occurs; out the exhaust could be unburned fuel burning in a hot exhaust pipe. I think either could happen when trying to start when it is not starting - unburned fuel in a hot engine where it normally would not be. So these symptoms may not be directly related to the actual problem. I would check pushrod adjustment anyway.

I have never used an external fuel filter myself so i do not have any experience. What i read on these forums is that often with clear fuel lines and filters, usually hanging down in a loop below the carb, they are partially full or empty and this is not a problem. It would be a good idea to check this out when the bike is running well, to examine the fuel filter under various conditions - not running, idling, etc.

Was this the first ride with the new petcock with new screen and clean fuel filter? Is it specifically a motorcycle fuel filter for gravity fuel systems? A car/truck filter from an auto parts store is designed for fuel pump vehicles and will not flow fuel well enough for our bikes.

All of my ideas for now, ...

Old 08-11-2015, 03:49 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

One more thought - with it backfiring from the carb and from the exhaust it sounds like the ignition timing is off. Is it points or electronic? If it is points it is possible that one/some of the parts just broke, like the springs or whatever.

I have not used points so i do not know the details. But i think this is most likely.

This excellent video shows what it should be like in there ...

Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default bike stalling

It is points. Before I was going on the ride it would not start and I had no spark at the plugs or points . I fiddled with the points and got spark and it started right up.

This was the first ride with the new petcock and it is made for motorcycles.